ADVERTISEMENT

BREAKING NEWS: Obama Admin to Allow states to legalize marijuana

smokin.r191677.gif

For recreational use. This is pretty big news but its mainly for Colorado and Washington. They won't arrest people federally now like they've threatened to do before. Read an article earlier a UCLA professor said Arkansas voted 49% to legalize medica weed. We aren't in Kansas anymore.

I'm stoked about the mandatory minimum sentences hopefully going away.

Everybody says tax the hell out of it. What is meant by that? Should taxes on it be higher than cigarettes? Agree that it should be legal, but not sure how they are going to tax it too much when people can grow it themselves.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

So this doesn't mean anything in terms of states legalizing it?

Can somebody explain this a little better.

No sir oinks states still have to vote on it. This is just saying after states legalize it the federal laws in those states won't apply anymore on recreational use. The people of the states still need to get it on the ballot and vote. There's like 4-5 states that are gonna try to legalize it in 2016 recreational like Wasjinton and Colorado. I think Alaska is gonna try it in 2015.

Oh, I thought it was already legal to use in colorado for recreational use.

Originally posted by Sir OinksAlot:
It is legal under state law, but not under federal law. This directive doesn't make it any more legal under federal law, but it is a directive to U.S. Atty's not to prosecute those offenses in states where it has been legalized under state law.

This passed, but doesn't go into effect until the Jan. 1, 2014, from what I understand.

Originally posted by DMitch3520:
It is legal under state law, but not under federal law. This directive doesn't make it any more legal under federal law, but it is a directive to U.S. Atty's not to prosecute those offenses in states where it has been legalized under state law.
It needs to be legalized across the board just like alcohol is. I don't get it at all. This doesn't really change much in my opinion.

I'm sure this will work just like booze with the taxation. Everyone could grow marijuana at home just like everyone could make their own beer at home. People generally don't, however, because it's much easier and not that much more expensive to go buy it at the store. Maybe this will sway some of the voters who are against it because "it's illegal".

Originally posted by DMitch3520:
It needs to be legalized across the board just like alcohol is. I don't get it at all. This doesn't really change much in my opinion.
I think this is the position the Administration has taken since the first state laws were passed legalizing it, so in that sense it doesn't change much. At least it doesn't change much from what it's been for a year or so.

However, I agree with you. It needs to be legalized & treated like alcohol. I'd even go further & decriminalize or even legalize almost all illegal drugs. If some of the less harmful recreational drugs were legalized the markets would dry up for some of the really bad ones. Obviously such drugs need to be strongly regulated--just as all prescription drugs are now--but we have wasted so many resources, ruined so many lives, and suffered so much collateral damage from trying to fight this "drug war" that we ought to know better by now. And FWIW, I don't advocate recreational use of these drugs, I just know people are going to use them & it's silly to make them illegal. We should've learned our lesson with Prohibition.

I worry about young minds being even more exposed to this ambition killing subtle but addictive drug. I believe it cripples and makes them into adulthood. Not all of them but many. Other than that I mostly see the point for legalization with penalties for growing excessive amounts beyond simple use and strict penalties for use as minors. I've known too many pot heads who live to do little or nothing. The beauty of pot is that it makes you feel like everything will be fine with little or no effort. That's also it's curse. It's negative effects should not be ignored.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT