ADVERTISEMENT

Bret Bielema quotes from Day 1 at the SEC Spring meetings

UTRIP UMP

All-American
Sep 14, 2003
Arkansas coach Bret Bielema

-- On undrafted football players being able to return to college: "I would think those three juniors, knowing where their end result was in the draft, those guys if they had that information" wouldn't have left early.

-- Suggests an SEC/ACC or Big Ten Challenge in football similar to basketball

-- Undrafted players returning to college is the "First thing Gus (Malzahn) and I have agreed upon since I've been here."

-- Thinks an underclassmen Combine might be a middle ground for allowing draft eligible players to be evaluated and make a decision on whether to stay or go pro

-- Refers to draft insurance policies as "rackets." Coaches are very concerned about this issue.

-- On taking over for an interim coach: "I would say the No. 1 challenge as a new coach coming in is uncovering the issues" you're unaware of that can hurt you. Refers to the hidden issues as "land mines."

-- On the SEC's "serious misconduct" policy: Admits to pursuing a player from the Big Ten that would have need a waiver. Was told "no" and dropped it. "I think anytime there's a well documented issue (involving violence or acts) against women" the only answer is to not allow the player to be a part of a program/conference

-- Says "anything that's illegal" could be on the table for a revised "misconduct policy."

-- On satellite camps: "We're all carnivores, we all attack and hunt and do everything." ... Says schools going into each other's territory "went over like a load of coal"

-- Says an early singing period is one recruiting change he would make

-- Calls the use of footage at halftime and in the press box starting in 2017 could be "one of the greatest game changes in college football history"

from AL.com

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News