ADVERTISEMENT

Casey Martin, sports psychologist

Lefty8

Hall of Fame
Jan 28, 2016
Ive seen several posters mention Casey needs a sports psychologist, and ive been thinking. I think Casey's main problem is over aggression and trying to live up to the hype. We saw him last year trade points on his average for a little more pop, which is common in todays game and personally ok with me. It seems its gotten to the point where he isnt even making contact sometimes, now. So here is my "sports psychologist" suggestion.

Move Casey to the leadoff spot.

Now before you poo poo the idea offhand, hear me out. Move him to leadoff, explain to him this team needs a tone setter. Remove the idea that he is expected to drive runs in hitting in the 4 or 5 spot and let him relax a little. Insist that he sees more pitches, give him the green light to bunt for hits and encourage him to be more patient. I think moving him out of the "run driving" spots in the lineup and allowing him more freedom might just do the trick mentally.

Lets face it, the kid is a 5 tool player when hes right, and sitting him on the bench is doing nothing to help him. He sat there last night and watched guys commit errors at a high clip, and we lost anyways. I can only speak for myself, but that wouldnt have helped me one bit, it would have probably made me worse

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News