ADVERTISEMENT

College basketball coach salaries

Luke_Hawg

Starter
Gold Member
Aug 4, 2009
Here's a little food for thought on the potential basketball coaching search if indeed Mike is let go. The top 12 paid coaches in the nation make 3 million or more, Greg Marshall being number 12 and making right at 3 million.

In my opinion our budget for a new coach will fall somewhere in between what we are paying Mike and what the top 5 coaches are making. Let's just say 3 million. If this is our budget we can exclude Greg Marshall from the conversation, because if he's making 3 million for the shockers he is waiting on top 5 money and a perennial top 10 program to come calling.

So let's look at the names that might consider coming for 3 million. (coaches that make around 2 million or less and are names we could all get excited about)

1. Tony Bennett- He's making 2.1 Million at Virginia and I think he is probably your starting point. Virginia has become a tourny stable and it's not like Virginia was steeped in basketball tradition before he got there.

2. Mark Few- I know, I know. He's not leaving Gonzaga. But he's worth the phone call and only making 1.3 mil to regularly take the zags on a run in the tourny. Maybe he's ready to make a transition in life and increase from 1.3 to 3 mil?

3. Chris Mack- He coached under Sean Miller before he went to Arizona and has taken Xavier dancing 6 out of 7 years as a head coach. He's currently only making 1.1 million.

4. Archie Miller- Brother of Arizona's Sean Miller, hes only making a measly 692,000, has taken the flyers dancing the last 3 years, and is poised to do so again. The future is bright for this guy. He is young (38) and would have the energy to take this program to the top I think.

5. Kevin Keatts- Coached under Pitino and won championships at Hargrave before getting the gig at UNC Wilmington. Now in his 3rd year it looks as if he will take them to the tourny for the second year in a row. This guy is trending upward in a big way and will likely be a big name coach at a big name school at some point. He is only making a base salary of 300,000.

I think these are our top 5 most realistic options for our hypothetical 3 million dollar budget. I think all 5 would be an upgrade and get us dancing again on a regular basis.
Archie Miller and Kevin Keatts could probably be obtained for much less. If I'm taking my picks in order of preference I would say:

1. Tony Bennett
2.Archie Miller or Mark Few
3. Kevin Keatts
4. Chris Mack

Not bad options for the future of Hog hoops

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News