ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing NBA fit of Bobby Portis and Moses Kingsley ...

Sir Dennis Eeatin-Hog

All-American
Apr 3, 2007
buddy of mine called last night to talk hoops, and he asked me a question that I had already briefly considered a couple of times over the past few weeks: Who is the better long-term NBA prospect -- BP or MK? Seems like an obvious answer right now when we talk short-term -- I still don't think MK is NBA-ready -- but the way MK is developing in all facets makes it an interesting question.

I don't ever see MK having the perimeter shooting range that BP does in term of shooting from 3, but he's gotten to a point in his development where he is knocking down that 15-to-18-foot face-up shot consistently. Moses is a better around the basket (not a consistent finisher, doesn't consistently play big at the rim yet, but he's better at creating high-percentage shots inside, and certainly better at tip-ins and dunks). He's a lot quicker and a lot more explosive, too. Surprisingly decent handles for a big in transition and even breaking down his man to get to the rack. Better rebounder. Better shot-blocker. Better defender -- which is not saying a lot, both struggle in this area, but MK has the athleticism to be a much better defender in the long run. He's also very disruptive when he steps out on the perimeter defensively, with the ability to block or steal from bigs, wings, and guards.

Conversely, BP's offensive skill set, BBall IQ, and slight-height advantage make him more suitable offensively in today's NBA. He's got a better feel for that higher-level, faster, and more-complex game. MK will improve in this area, but so will BP. BP's frame is also built to hold weight better in his base, which helps him hold his position down low at both ends, not sure MK can be as strong inside at the next level.

I see MK's best comp in the NBA to be Serge Ibaka. I think BP is a combo of several guys, including KG, Aldridge, and some David West.

Right now, I'd put my money on BP ... I think he is an eventual NBA starter. I can't see far enough down the line to think MK is anything more than a career reserve in the league, but I do see him having a future in the league at some point. And given how late he got started playing the game coupled with his rapid improvement, I don't think we truly know what his ceiling is.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News