ADVERTISEMENT

Daniel Gafford went head-to-head against Mitchell Smith ...

Sir Dennis Eeatin-Hog

All-American
Apr 3, 2007
tonight when the Wings' EYBL 17-and-under team played the Wings Elite 16-and-under team at Pulaski Academy, and the 6-foot-10 Gafford (Class of 2017) got the best of those head-to-head battles against the 6-10 Smith (Class of 2016). Both players did a lot of good things tonight, but Gafford took on both Smith and 6-7 Eric Curry (Class of 2016) at the rim, and he did not disappoint. Connor Vanover (7-foot-2, Class of 2018) was on the floor, too, and had his moments.

Gafford has more meat on his bones than Smith, and I really like the way he attacked the glass and rim. Smith challenged him and blocked his shot a couple of times, but Gafford was more physical, got into Smith down low, and consistently finished well at the rim -- whether he had to go over or through Smith, Curry or both, he got the job done. I really like the way Gafford keeps the ball up high (chest level or higher), turns into his defender, and looks for his shot with a purpose. Reminds me a little of Rasheed Wallace from the standpoint of keeping the ball up high, elevating with good athleticism and coordination, and finishing strong but with touch. He was also effective facing. He blocked shots at the rim, and also stepped out to block one on a mid-range jumper by a guard. He had a couple of throw-downs -- one was a two-handed jam off an offensive rebound where he made both Curry and Smith look helpless. He was solid on both the offensive and defensive glass, too. Not sure about his offer list, but he was the best big in the state tonight.

* Smith looks like he has improved since I last saw him a month or so ago. He ran the floor well, was more active with his hands and feet, but he still gets moved out of position too easily inside, and he tends to not fight or battle enough when physicality is needed. Once he was isolated on the baseline facing with Vanover trying to run out and close on him, so Smith gave a hard jab-step to fake a drive to the lane, which froze Vanover, and Smith stepped back and drained a nice 16-footer. He had a couple of dunks in transition, and also had 3-4 steals and 3-4 blocks by simply being active with his feet. It was good to see. Offers include Arkansas, Creighton, Oklahoma State, Tulsa, and at one time Tennessee (not sure if Rick Barnes will honor it). I felt better about his movement with active hands and feet, and he's athletic with soft hands and facing skill, but he still needs a lot of work on staying aggressive/locked-in and playing with physicality.

* Vanover is very interesting, because he still has 3 years of HS play, but at 7-2 he already can shoot the 3 and does so with feet set, beautiful stroke, and confidence. He's got a nice feel and touch around the basket, too, with slow-but-effective shots that remind me some of Shawn Bradley, the 7-foot-6 big from the early 90s who played at BYU before getting drafted by the '76ers. Mobility is an issue, but that is to be expected. He reacts better to loose balls and rebound opportunities than the last time I saw him, but he still lacks the quickness/mobility to make a big difference right now in those areas, as well as shot-blocking. This is a high-major talent who will be fun to watch progress.

* Curry has a helluva motor, but not a lot of shooting touch inside or size. A slender 6-7, Curry reminds me a little of Derek Hood because he runs the floor like a gazelle -- he'll hit the glass early and often, hustle to deflect a pass or steal the ball, dive on the floor, fill the lane in transition, and he is a pesky defender inside for an undersized 4. His numbers have been solid in the Nike EYBL, and you see a guy who works hard at both ends. I like Eric Curry, just not sure where he fits at the next level. I believe he has offers from Okie Lite and VCU, and you can bet more will come his way.

* Malik Monk was relatively quiet by his standards ... he did not assault the 16-year-olds with his full offensive arsenal as he was content playing mostly behind the 3-point line in this scrimmage. He probably led all scorers with somewhere between 16 and 20 points, knocking down 4-5 three's and throwing down a couple of dunks in transition. It was obvious he was going 3/4s effort, but he made some nice passes and he is so smooth pulling from 3 that it almost feels like he is shooting an uncontested layup out there.

* Others who had their moments tonight: Jalen Johnson (Class of 2016), 6-foot-6 SF from Baton Rouge -- every time I watch him play, he makes smart basketball plays at both ends despite not being a plus athlete and not having standout skills. He looks mid-major to me; Tyrik Dixon (Class of 2016), 6-1 G from LR SW Christian Academy -- continues to improve his own offense, handles, and decision-making, he looks to be low-to-mid-major; Payton Willis (Class of 2016), 6-4 SG from Fayetteville -- kid is a smooth operator, whether shooting, handling, or filling the lane on the break, mid-major talent who could get high major; Casey Benton of Clarksville and Exavian Christon of Hot Springs (both are Class of 2017) -- both are also 6-3 guards with plus-athleticism and toughness; Kris Bankston (Class of 2017), 6-foot-6 forward -- 'tweener at 6-6 and 180 pounds, but athletic and physical inside, and he backed down from no one; Cameron Johnson (Class of 2017), 6-foot-3 G from LR Central -- had been cut from the 16-and-under team but made improvements to earn a spot, and he is a plus-athlete who never stops tracking the ball at either end, probably a long shot to get a better opportunity than DII, but I really liked the way he challenged the older Wings at both ends, winning more than his share of battles.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News