ADVERTISEMENT

DEA Secret Surveillance Program Discovered

ermackey

Starter
Nov 7, 2009
Juneau, AK
www.jodyhighroller.com
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/08/05/us-dea-sod-idUSBRE97409R20130805

Wow. This is huge. This part really bothered me. Before people start pointing fingers without reading, the program started in 1994.

"PARALLEL CONSTRUCTION"
After an arrest was made, agents then pretended that their investigation began with the traffic stop, not with the SOD tip, the former agent said. The training document reviewed by Reuters refers to this process as "parallel construction."
The two senior DEA officials, who spoke on behalf of the agency but only on condition of anonymity, said the process is kept secret to protect sources and investigative methods. "Parallel construction is a law enforcement technique we use every day," one official said. "It's decades old, a bedrock concept."
A dozen current or former federal agents interviewed by Reuters confirmed they had used parallel construction during their careers. Most defended the practice; some said they understood why those outside law enforcement might be concerned.
"It's just like laundering money - you work it backwards to make it clean," said Finn Selander, a DEA agent from 1991 to 2008 and now a member of a group called Law Enforcement Against Prohibition, which advocates legalizing and regulating narcotics.
Some defense lawyers and former prosecutors said that using "parallel construction" may be legal to establish probable cause for an arrest. But they said employing the practice as a means of disguising how an investigation began may violate pretrial discovery rules by burying evidence that could prove useful to criminal defendants.

Seems to me that the best way to prevent this technique from doing you harm is simply, be a law abiding citizen.

wish it was that simple bobhawg. this is a subject that should concern every american citizen, in my opinion!!
yes, we expect our fellow citizens to abide by our laws. but on the other hand, we must also DEMAND the same from the law enforcement, it's community or agencies!!!
our legislative and judicial branches agree, hence the severe penalties if/ when they are ever convicted of libel.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT