ADVERTISEMENT

East Carolina fans on Herrion

Bobthenailer

Letterman
Jul 1, 2002
EC fans have some good things to say about our new coach.

Tell us Hogfans about Herrion Edit | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's our situation. We have this young coach, Stan Heath, who is a great man and a great recruiter, but his ability to put a good performing team on the floor has come into question, so our Athletic Director, Frank Broyles, suggested that Stan hire an experienced coach who might be an "enforcer" type who would complement Stan's charisma and great recruiting. What do you guys think? Does it sound like it will work? Thanks for replys.

Posted on 4/18 10:28 PM | IP: Logged

GoldenCross
user profile
Post #2
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts
Re: Tell us Hogfans about Herrion Edit | Reply

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He coaches a "blue collar" type of play..hard defense and playing hard at both ends. He really puts his whole heart into what he is doing. He had trouble recruiting guys who could get into school and stay in school, so we were always "young". Very personable guys with a Philly attitude. You will be pleased.

Posted on 4/18 10:37 PM | IP: Logged

Pirate Matt97
user profile
Post #23
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts
Herrion Edit | Reply

Bill Herrion is a super guy. Y'all will love him. And YES... he can most certainly fill the role as a hard nosed enforcer. The Hogs should also benefit from his philly/nj/nyc recruiting ties. Know that there will be plenty of Pirates out there pullin for your Hogs now that Bill is on board in Fayetteville.

Posted on 4/18 10:39 PM | IP: Logged

runner2929
user profile
Post #16
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

bob, if that was what you guys were looking for, that is exactly what you found. Herrion will impose toughness and is very comfortbale with playing the "tough cop". If Heath is a good recruiter theh the Herrion hire will be a bullseye.

Posted on 4/18 11:18 PM | IP: Logged

ECUPittfan

user profile
Greenville, NC
Pantherlair.com
Post #317
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

Herrion is great. Wish he would have done better here. Coach has a great personality and really knows his X's and O's. It will be like having 2 head coaches. We really loved him here but just didnt get enough wins.

Posted on 4/18 11:23 PM | IP: Logged

Chesap...Pirate
user profile
Norfolk, Virginia
Recruit
Post #4
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

I don't know if it will work, only time will tell.

That being said, the problem Herrion had at ECU was the ability to recruit and retain talent that could compete with better funded and tradition rich teams. It was a larger than life challenge taking a traditional second division team from the CAA to the toughest division in C-USA. He gave it everything he had and pulled off some incredible home upsets over teams like Louisville, Marquette, and Charlotte. The road record was not very pretty, but did include a pretty special win over UAB.

I think Herrion did as much as anyone could have with what he had to work with, and probably got more out of them than we had a right to expect. If you have talent at Arkansas, it will be interesting. Bill is an "old school" type of guy who believes that work gets you where you go. I'm not totally sure how that meshes with a kid in 2005, but I predict that you will love Bill Herrion and that he will have a positive impact on your program.

Chesapeake Pirate

Chesapeake Pirate

Posted on 4/18 11:24 PM | IP: Logged

OTM

user profile
Greenville
Post #333
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

One of the toughest basketball coaches in the business.
But a great people person too. Good at social functions.
Enjoys golf. Can still shoot the three.
Played college ball at Merrimack.

ECU beat Marquette twice with Diener, Dwayne Wade, and Novack.
Herrion beat Pitino the first time we played the Cardinals in Greenville.

Give the guy equal talent and he can win.
But he does tend to ride players pretty hard.

I think he's a very odd fit for Arkansas but still a very good basketball mind.

He showed us some of our best days.

Good luck to the Razorbacks.

Tomorrow Starts Here.

Posted on 4/18 11:45 PM | IP: Logged

Bobthenailer

user profile
Post #829
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

Thanks, guys. I'll post a link to your comments on the Hog Rivals site.

Posted on 4/18 11:50 PM | IP: Logged

OTM

user profile
Greenville
Post #335
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

Thanks for coming by, Bob.

Billy Herrion is tougher than a Waffle House pork chop.
But he is very approachable and likable.
He had a tough task here, lost one 6-9 guy to an auto injury,
another 7 footer this year to academics before we could get him on the court and we did have a couple of transfers of guards prior to the season who had considerable experience.

He didn't get many breaks, we usually got ACC officials who don't do ECU many favors anyway.

Herrion won some very big games here. To the point where the kids were actually camped out for tickets in a mini tent city called Billville.

He ain't going to take much guff. He'll take soft out of the equation.

Tomorrow Starts Here.

Posted on 4/19 12:03 AM | IP: Logged

Island Pirate
user profile
ST. Thomas V.I.
Post #9
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

Just make sure you provide Coach Herrion with a good supply of Arkansas Polo Shirts because if sweating was an olympic sport he would have a gold medal. If you are looking for discipline, you found the right man.

Above all, I take with me the lasting commitment to answer the call of East Carolina — whenever and wherever I can serve.”Leo W. Jenkins, Chancellor 1960-1978

Posted on 4/19 6:24 AM | IP: Logged

pir8sportsfan
user profile
Greenville, NC
Recruit
Post #15
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

I think yall will love the guy. More heart in his left arm than most people have in their whole body. Lives, breathes and sleeps basketball. Although, my only gripe is that he wears his emotions on his sleeve. EVERY EMOTION!

----------Pirate Links / My Site

Posted on 4/19 8:15 AM | IP: Logged

Sec217
user profile
Post #24
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

You probably have already gotten the message about Herrion but to put it all in a nutshell. How many coaches could have 6 consecutive non-winning seasons, never a winning season at East Carolina, and have most people upset that he was leaving. He is a topnotch guy that the community will love.

Posted on 4/19 11:04 AM | IP: Logged

PPE
user profile
Post #53
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

Sec217 nailed it. You won't often find that sort of situation. Coach is well-respected throughout the Pirate family, and I'm sure you guys will be pleased with what he brings to the table. That's particularly true if you want a guy that is going to be a hard-nosed, driving impact (who sweats profusely).

Posted on 4/19 8:22 PM | IP: Logged

George63
user profile
Post #6
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

Very likeable guy. Everyone thought the world of him, but he just did not win enough games. He will get in player's faces when they come off the court and that may be the reason that he lost some of the players that transferred. If your coach wants someone to put the heat on players he is the man. But, I'm sure that he will only go as far as the HC or Frank Broyles wants him to go.

Posted on 4/19 8:38 PM | IP: Logged

jollyrogerpirate
user profile
Greenville, NC
Post #7
lock | pin | move
del | ban | posts

He's one tough New Yorker that you guys in Arkansas will love to have with your program.

----------------Let's play two!

This post was edited on 4/20 1:53 AM by Trey Biddyif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

Link to EC

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News