ADVERTISEMENT

Explosions at the Boston Marathon

I'm sure the news tonight will be about the life story of the person who did it. WTF is wrong with people.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by razorbacks2012:
At least 3 dead...imagine if it went off during the actual race
It did. It just happened to go off on the side where the spectators were.

Oh sorry I thought they said the actual race ended 3 hours ago. Either way its pretty awful. Hope there are no other bombs in the area.

Yea, like assumption was such a terrible stretch. It was either fanatical Muslims or an anti government militia wack job. Since the target appears to be non government, I deduced it was probably a Muslim. Sad as hell, not going to stop until we consider profiling and not being politically correct as the proper course of action.

These explosions show just how vulnerable America still is. We see all of these people on TV shows talking about the devices they have to detect bombs in large crowds. Sadly, they failed today. I just hope the cowards responsible for this are caught.

Originally posted by Luke Matheson:
These explosions show just how vulnerable America still is. We see all of these people on TV shows talking about the devices they have to detect bombs in large crowds. Sadly, they failed today. I just hope the cowards responsible for this are caught.
There's really nothing you can do here. 26.2 miles of public road. 40,000+ participants, 500,000 in attendance. Family members and runners with bags full of clothes and equipment.

Originally posted by mikedamone:
There's really nothing you can do here. 26.2 miles of public road. 40,000+ participants, 500,000 in attendance. Family members and runners with bags full of clothes and equipment.
That's not what the police say when they get on TV and brag about their technology that will allegedly allow them to scan areas and detect any bomb in the area. That is what they said before the race, before the big New Year's event in NYC, etc. If what they say is true, their technology failed them today.

@TimWilliamsCBS #BREAKINGNEWS: AP reporter says Newtown families were in the VIP section right by the explosion.

Originally posted by ermackey:
NBC reporting a 3rd IED found and detonated by anti-terrorism unit
Yeah, this is true.

I think its pretty confusing for the reporters (and police). Supposedly there are multiple reports of suspicious devices all over the city. Who knows if these reports are real, hoaxs, or people just freaking out over anything that might be a bomb.

Originally posted by mikedamone:
That's not what the police say when they get on TV and brag about their technology that will allegedly allow them to scan areas and detect any bomb in the area. That is what they said before the race, before the big New Year's event in NYC, etc. If what they say is true, their technology failed them today.
You seriously believe that they are capable of 100% detection? TSA screeners can't even detect weapons much better than 30% of the time and this is using x-ray machines where individuals are forced to submit luggage for inspection. Good luck scanning an entire downtown district filled with thousands of people with no access control and a seemingly limitless number of places to hide something. Without warrants, much of the area is off limits for inspection anyway. As unfortunate as any of these incidents are, and as much as we try our best to prevent them, everyone needs to realize that this is simply one of the costs of living in a free society. No one likes it hearing these stories and losing loved ones, but the sooner you come to grips with the reality of security, the better off you will be. That said, the success we have had in thwarting mass attacks since 9/11 is quite phenomenal, but it doesn't mean we can't fail again.

Boston Globe: MARATHON EXPLOSION: Toll rises to 2 dead, 64 wounded in Boston Marathon explosions.

What a total POS!!!!

I'm so sick of these A-holes killing innocent people. These people that think they have the right to play God drive me insane. How anyone can justify to themselves a reason for commiting a cowardly act like this is beyond my comprehension. Whomever did this needs a short rope and a high tree branch.

I pray for the victims & their families.

Good post. One correction though. While TSA does not catch 100%, they do catch between 60-70% per screener. This is increased by redundancy (Behavior Detection Officers, baggage x-rays, background checks when you buy your ticket, random searches, etc...). They also deter a crapload of attempts. Remember, there has not been a hijacking of ANY kind since TSA was created.

This also varies at each airport for reasons I can not discuss. However, there are airports that have caught 100% of all test devices in a year. The more poorly performing airports get changed at the top very quickly.

I do not support everything they do. I hate the body scanners, for example, and they need to be more human-employing, less tech-driven, and achieve more results at a lower price point. But they need credit for what they actually do achieve.

Whomever did this will tell us. The purpose of a terrorist attack is political. That is why organizations claim responsibility. Failing to take credit is counter to the purpose of the attack.

We will know who did it soon enough with or without police evidence.

Good post. One correction though. While TSA does not catch 100%, they do catch between 60-70% per screener. This is increased by redundancy (Behavior Detection Officers, baggage x-rays, background checks when you buy your ticket, random searches, etc...). They also deter a crapload of attempts. Remember, there has not been a hijacking of ANY kind since TSA was created.

This also varies at each airport for reasons I can not discuss. However, there are airports that have caught 100% of all test devices in a year. The more poorly performing airports get changed at the top very quickly.

I do not support everything they do. I hate the body scanners, for example, and they need to be more human-employing, less tech-driven, and achieve more results at a lower price point. But they need credit for what they actually do achieve.
Obviously aviation security employs multi-layered approach, but I was simply addressing the limitations of technology mentioned earlier.

By the way, my figures come from a research project I did back in 2007-2008 (I was an aviation major), but I realize some improvements have been made since and that certain airports have performed better than others. However, the detection rate for luggage screening is still nowhere close to what the general public assumes.

In reality, such measures are far more effective in appearance than actual practice. Giving off the impression that you can catch everyone helps deter a lot of people from even risking it, just as installing a fake camera might deter someone from breaking into a building.

There is a difference between muslims and terroists. Just like there is a difference between blacks and ni**ers, whites and white trash ect ect ect. just remember that. All people are different thoughout all races

Originally posted by admiral2480:

Obviously aviation security employs multi-layered approach, but I was simply addressing the limitations of technology mentioned earlier.

By the way, my figures come from a research project I did back in 2007-2008 (I was an aviation major), but I realize some improvements have been made since and that certain airports have performed better than others. However, the detection rate for luggage screening is still nowhere close to what the general public assumes.

In reality, such measures are far more effective in appearance than actual practice. Giving off the impression that you can catch everyone helps deter a lot of people from even risking it, just as installing a fake camera might deter someone from breaking into a building.
No problem and I do not doubt those numbers for that time period. I worked at Homeland Security in 2008 and 2009. Learned alot and TSA screening really improved between 2006 and 2010. I personally ran a few tests as a test passenger. I can not tell you the details, but a screener that follows the SOP following an alarm has to be very incompetent to miss an explosive, knife, or firearm. The X-Ray also runs random test images (public information) to ensure that screeners pay attention and are able to spot IED components and weapons. If a screener misses too many, he/she are fired.

Originally posted by admiral2480:

No problem and I do not doubt those numbers for that time period. I worked at Homeland Security in 2008 and 2009. Learned alot and TSA screening really improved between 2006 and 2010. I personally ran a few tests as a test passenger. I can not tell you the details, but a screener that follows the SOP following an alarm has to be very incompetent to miss an explosive, knife, or firearm. The X-Ray also runs random test images (public information) to ensure that screeners pay attention and are able to spot IED components and weapons. If a screener misses too many, he/she are fired.
Yeah, the constant use of random images to simulate potential threats is one of the approaches I fully support. We are all really good at paying better attention when we know we are being watched (e.g. training, testing), but then tend to lax a bit when on the job without supervision. It's obviously human nature and hard to completely adjust for ourselves, so adding the fake images into the daily screening process is an excellent way to keep our guard up at all times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT