ADVERTISEMENT

Football recruiting, Junior Days, blah blah blah

wps88 2.0

Starter
Dec 6, 2013
We all know we are going to be short on scholarships for this upcoming class. I also understand that we need to be picky. However, I don't understand why we continue to wait so damn long to offer highly-rated kids. More times than not we are one of the last SEC teams to pass out an offer. I understand that Bielema wants to make sure the kid is "Uncommon" before offering. I'm sure some parents appreciate and respect that; however, it hasn't really connected to most of the recruits who probably just roll their eyes at that word. We are not a prestigious program. We have never won the SEC Championship. We can't wait so long to offer; we must be proactive. It's time to change it up.

Meanwhile, we seem to be the first offer to the lower-rated/unrated types in hopes of getting on a kid early before be "blows up." The whole "diamond in the rough" ploy is overused and doesn't necessarily translate to climbing up the SEC West standings nor being able to close out football games. Some of you might be content with the mindset that we are who we are: an average football program without a chance to ever win a conference championship. I am pretty realistic, and I refuse to give up hope that we can somehow turn it all around.

There has got to be a better balance in being the last to offer and being the first to take a chance.

Moving on...

Ah, Junior Days - something Bielema doesn't have. It frustrates me. It really does. "If we can just get the kid to campus, we have a chance." How many damn times have we heard or said that exact phrase? Not having a Junior Day is just completely passing on an opportunity to get some recruits on campus for the very first time. Hell, some schools have multiple Junior Days that vary in numbers.

Let's take a look at the Junior Day numbers of some of our competitors:
Alabama - more than 60
Auburn - more than 20
LSU - more than 60, also had more than 50 in-state recruits at a separate event
Texas A&M - more than 50

Great.

Almost done...

Lastly, I would like to wish everyone a Happy Mother's Day. My mom is a BAMF, and I would not be half the person I am today without her by my side. Love ya, mom!

Edit: TL;DR... Offer big-time prospects sooner. Get kids on campus before their senior season. Moms kick ass.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News