ADVERTISEMENT

Football Georgia Tech transfer DE considering Arkansas

NWAHutch

Hall of Fame
Staff
Apr 30, 2018
Enjoyed talking with Jordan yesterday afternoon. Seems like a smart kid with a bright future...

With a handful of scholarships to spare, Arkansas likely isn’t done scouring the transfer portal for more help in 2022.

One of the latest players the Razorbacks have zeroed in on is defensive end Jordan Domineck, a graduate transfer from Georgia Tech.

Since sharing his decision to leave the Yellow Jackets on Saturday, Domineck has tweeted about receiving 20 offers ranging from FCS programs like Tennessee State to Power Five programs like Nebraska, Michigan State, Auburn and others.

The first of those offers, though, came from Arkansas. Domineck told HawgBeat that he had a chance to talk to new defensive line coach Deke Adams, as well as head coach Sam Pittman.

“They offered me a couple days ago and it was a really great feeling, to get an SEC offer,” Domineck said. “They were telling me how I would fit into their scheme, how their academic side of it definitely would fit into what I want to do in my future and my plans.

“They told me about all the connections I can make down in Arkansas. They were just telling me how much I should really consider Arkansas as my next home. They thought I’d be a great fit in their program.”

Unlike most players who enter the portal, Domineck’s decision to transfer from Georgia Tech was purely motivated by educational reasons. With a business administration degree already in hand, he is looking for a school where he can get a degree in physical therapy.

“Over this past December break, I really just sat down and thought about what I want to do with the rest of my life after football, whenever that may be,” Domineck said. “Now I really want to go into physical therapy. I want to become a physical therapist, open up a practice of my own and stay as close to the game as possible, hopefully travel with a team.”

Domineck is more than capable on the football field, too. Over the last four years at Georgia Tech, he appeared in 31 games and made 15 starts, including eight in 2021.

As a redshirt junior last year, Domineck had 38 tackles, 5.5 tackles for loss, 3.5 sacks, 4 quarterback hurries, 3 forced fumbles and a 70-yard fumble return. According to Pro Football Focus, he generated 20 total pressures, helping him earn a 67.3 defensive grade on 446 total snaps.

That came on the heels of a solid 2020 campaign in which he earned a 77.8 grade on 391 snaps. That season, he generated 28 total pressures and was officially credited with 35 tackles, 8.5 tackles for loss, 4 sacks, 2 quarterback hurries, 3 forced fumbles and 2 fumble recoveries.

One thing working in Arkansas’ favor is that it heavily used three transfer defensive linemen in 2021. Tre Williams, Markell Utsey and John Ridgeway were the Razorbacks’ primary starters and were their top three defensive linemen in terms of snaps played.

“The way they want to play me, they want me to come in, do a little bit of both defensive end standup, be able to rush the passer, and drop back into coverage,” Domineck said. “Definitely seeing the resume, seeing what Arkansas has to offer, it’s under serious consideration.”

Although he’s never been to Arkansas, Domineck said he followed the program - along with the rest of the SEC - when he was a 5.5 three-star recruit coming out of George Jenkins High in Lakeland, Fla., as part of the 2018 class.

His father, James, was a running back at an NAIA school before transferring to Florida and playing for the Gators from 1988-89.

Originally committed to South Florida, Domineck flipped to Georgia Tech on National Signing Day 2018. He didn’t get much Power Five attention, with his other options at that level being Iowa State, Syracuse and Vanderbilt.

That is not the case this time around. He’s tweeted about offers from Nebraska, Michigan State, Kansas, Auburn, Indiana, Penn State, Iowa State and Arkansas.

“It’s been pretty insane,” Domineck said. “I’ve definitely gotten a huge amount of phone calls over the last couple of days, I’ve definitely been in contact with a numerous amount of coaches. It’s definitely going to take a lot of research that I’m going to have to do for everything.

“It feels like I’m back in high school, but then again, it doesn’t at the same time. Going through the entire recruiting process again feels like I’m just trying to find a new home, a new family that I can really call my own.”

Nothing is set in stone yet, but Domineck said he plans to take all five official visits and it sounds like Arkansas has a good shot at getting one of them. However, he is doing his due diligence by researching each school that offers.

There isn’t a set decision date, either, but it’s worth noting that Domineck - who is still taking classes at Georgia Tech this semester - wants to make the decision before May 1 so he has plenty of time to enroll in the first session of summer classes at his new school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News