ADVERTISEMENT

Government shutdown: Have you been affected?

tomt7

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 22, 2005
New Jersey
Within the SEC area only one state is listed as
among the top 10 most impacted: Alabama at No. 3.

Among the10 least affected: Only Louisiana from SEC.

In in auto sales and we are seeing several people that receive either military benefits or some government benefit that were was in the market have completely drawn back and won't spend a penny.

Also on many deal customers have to obtain a copy of an award letter for anything from Military benefits to Disability to prove income. If they don't have that on file, there isn't an office to get a copy until all this is over.

I'm missed a couple car deals over the shutdown directly so far.
This post was edited on 10/10 4:59 PM by brwillis11

Nonprofits serving at risk kids are having their funding cut-off, and funds will not be made up. Also, nonprofits such as this have already furloughed staff for a MINIMUM of two weeks without pay. How would you like to have a full time job with the paycheck and then be told to go home for at least two weeks and not receive a paycheck? It would suck. This is happening to my friends, and thankfully, I have am still working.

I wish we could trim the branches of government.

Yes, my newborn needs her SSC. They screwed up the address so now we have to apply for it all over again. So my girl takes a half day and heads to the SS office and these bastards are closed because of the shutdown. My question is, shouldn't that be essential to govt operations since we all need that card?

I haven't been affected personally but I saw something last night that I thought was interesting. I work for Union Pacific as a conductor. The run I'm on goes through Texarkana and there's a pretty good size rail yard there. So last night we had to stop and set some cars out from our train and while I was there, a BNSF train came by carrying nothing but military equipment. Probably 60-80 cars of everything from jeeps and tanks to military style construction cranes. My question was, if the government is shut down, who's ordering all of this? Who's placing the PO's? Maybe nothing to it but I thought it was weird.

No not affected at all. Really makes me wonder where all my money has been going. I am all for funding the essential good will outreach efforts WIC, SS, Medicare, Disability etc but its pretty crazy to have the Gov shut down and see ZERO difference.

Sorry to anyone who is greatly affected but Im beginning to think thisnwas the right thing to do. How much money would we have in a surplus if we weren't spending it hand over fist on God knows what ....... ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ISLE!

Originally posted by Luke Matheson:
I still find it ironic that a month ago our politicians claimed we had enough money to bomb Syria, but now they say we are broke....
Haha that's cause Syria has oil... they will create money to invade oil countries.

I still find it ironic that a month ago our politicians claimed we had enough money to bomb Syria, but now they say we are broke....
Luke, there's always money for war. Just nothing for us.

No. I am fine!

El Dorado Social Security office is open and the able-bodied continue to flock in for disability, etc.

Also, there is a tent uptown where they are giving away free phones and free minutes - the community organizers at work!

Originally posted by mcflow:
Nonprofits serving at risk kids are having their funding cut-off, and funds will not be made up. Also, nonprofits such as this have already furloughed staff for a MINIMUM of two weeks without pay. How would you like to have a full time job with the paycheck and then be told to go home for at least two weeks and not receive a paycheck? It would suck. This is happening to my friends, and thankfully, I have am still working.

I wish we could trim the branches of government.
Have been seeing this with the guys on the floor for three to four years now. Most have lost their houses and some are near on losing their family. Two days here and three days there.

This has been going on for quite some time.

I have. I have to pay lazy fed workers for setting on their ass. My mother had a car wreck in Nov of 2010, we have been trying to settle for over a year, the only thing holding us up is that Medicare paid some of the bills and filed a lien, which means they get paid first. We have requested 6 times for the amount they need to be reimbursed. We have 30 days before we have to file a lawsuit or the 3 year statute of limitations runs. We think we owe them about $20,000 and we can't get a statement from them. Talking to other adjusters this is not uncommon. Wonder why Medicare and SS are going broke.
Originally posted by tomt7:
Within the SEC area only one state is listed as
among the top 10 most impacted: Alabama at No. 3.

Among the10 least affected: Only Louisiana from SEC.

BOSSHOG, I don't have anything against you but you have no idea what you're talking about. You don't see a difference because your job isn't directly tied to a government job. About 80% of the government employees have been sent back to their jobs after a week of furlough. If those jobs had been furloughed for an extensive amount of time, you would see a significant result. I work in a job that is hand in hand with the military and train many of them. In fact , you can't tell us apart because we have to wear a uniform just like everyone else. The problems come later. Years ago they had the military reshaping and downsized a significant portion of the military and the repercussions of that weren't really seen until later. My point is, just because you cant see a difference after 2 weeks doesn't mean there wont be any.

Nobody is saying we are broke. They just wont sign off on the money being spent. It will sit in the bank until its appropriated. Only one single body has the authority to allocate federal money and that is Congress. No way around it until they say so.

Originally posted by BOSSHOGFREE:
No not affected at all. Really makes me wonder where all my money has been going. I am all for funding the essential good will outreach efforts WIC, SS, Medicare, Disability etc but its pretty crazy to have the Gov shut down and see ZERO difference.

Sorry to anyone who is greatly affected but Im beginning to think thisnwas the right thing to do. How much money would we have in a surplus if we weren't spending it hand over fist on God knows what ....... ON BOTH SIDES OF THE ISLE!
Its not all about being not getting their welfare checks.

Like I said above, I am seeing Military retirees and people people on legit assistance scared to death.
I have personally missed out on over $1000 in commission directly connected to deals failing through because of the shutdown in one way or another. A thousand bucks is kind of a big deal to me.

We are $17,000,000,000,000 in debt as a country. I say we keep them shut down until our debt is paid, then maybe get the cost in line so we do not have to keep borrowing money from our one day enemies.

Maybe if we keep it shut down we will get the cost in our lives in line. As far as the military they are getting paid so it should not effect them from buying what ever they chose within their own budgets.

Who created this list of the most affected states Alabama is one of the best run states in the country.

No direct impact ...yet, but if they don't do something NLT a few days before the 31st, I will not get my Air Force pension nor will my 82 year old mother get her social security check.

My son's girlfriend needs a new military dependent ID card and the local ID card office is manned by civilians and is closed. No big deal usually, except she can't visit the doctor or get her prescriptions refilled without it.

I fully expect they will do something before the social security checks go out. Otherwise, can you imagine all those angry seniors?

Investments have dropped. I'm not sure that the food I eat is being inspected and I hope I don't catch the next ubknown disease that the CDC would analize and come up with a vaccine. Don"t kid yourself. Everyone is affected.:

Originally posted by GoHogs3:
We are $17,000,000,000,000 in debt as a country. I say we keep them shut down until our debt is paid, then maybe get the cost in line so we do not have to keep borrowing money from our one day enemies.

Maybe if we keep it shut down we will get the cost in our lives in line. As far as the military they are getting paid so it should not effect them from buying what ever they chose within their own budgets.

Who created this list of the most affected states Alabama is one of the best run states in the country.
We definitely need to get spending in line but the shutdown will actually cost us more money. All the money "saved" during the shutdown is paid retroactively as soon as its lifted so federal employees are on paid vacation right now and the govt gets charged fees for non-payment plus is losing the revenue from things such as national parks while the cost to run them is still being accrued. No win for anybody and if I was one of the unlucky few to have had a trip to a national park or museum planned right now I would be super pissed. Some of those are once in a lifetime opportunities.

Originally posted by H0gch0ps:
BOSSHOG, I don't have anything against you but you have no idea what you're talking about. You don't see a difference because your job isn't directly tied to a government job. About 80% of the government employees have been sent back to their jobs after a week of furlough. If those jobs had been furloughed for an extensive amount of time, you would see a significant result. I work in a job that is hand in hand with the military and train many of them. In fact , you can't tell us apart because we have to wear a uniform just like everyone else. The problems come later. Years ago they had the military reshaping and downsized a significant portion of the military and the repercussions of that weren't really seen until later. My point is, just because you cant see a difference after 2 weeks doesn't mean there wont be any.
I hear you and understand your point. The question was have I been affected..... the answer is an absolute No. I don't knkw what else you want me to say. In fact gas dropped $0.10 this last week here so were actually better off right now. Do I think its fair government employees are hurting... no I don't.....however we MUST do something to fix our broken country. We can't just keep printing more money and we can't start new multi trillion dollar programs that not only can we not pay for but have Trillions of dollars of debt we already can't pay for.

IMO we need a rather large portion of government jobs to not only be "shut down" bit done away with for good. There is way to much fat on the bone that no one is willing to trim.

Military members like my Brother-in-law are not receiving their hazardous pay even though he is in infantry in a combat zone. That is considered a "bonus."

Originally posted by minnesotahog:

Haha that's cause Syria has oil... they will create money to invade oil countries.
Syria Doesnt have Oil. Sorry Bud.

Originally posted by jhskiier:

Originally posted by minnesotahog:

Syria Doesnt have Oil. Sorry Bud.
See Link...

Syria = 400,000 bbl / day

Global Oil Consumption was 87.5 Million Barrels a day in 2010. So while Ill accept your point that Syria has Oil, in the strict sense of the definition. The amount is negligible.

So, just to clarify your views on my point, you think the United States makes strategic decisions on Syria based on its Oil Production, which account for .45% of the worlds daily consumption?

This post was edited on 10/13 9:58 PM by jhskiier

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT