ADVERTISEMENT

Football HawgBeat's 10 Thoughts from the Weekend

nikkichavanelle

Hall of Fame
Staff
Sep 21, 2014
1. The Streak is Over - HUTCH

Not only did Arkansas snap its 10-game skid and 20-game SEC losing streak by knocking off a top-20 team on the road as a 17-point underdog, but it did so by limiting the air raid to just 14 points despite numerous injuries.

Nikki did a nice job recapping how backups stepped up big for the Razorbacks - on both sides of the ball - in her postgame story. The piece features an incredible stat: former and current walk-ons contributed a total of 245 offensive or defensive snaps in the win.

I want to focus on the defense, though. In addition to former walk-ons Grant Morgan (68 snaps) and Simeon Blair (55) and current walk-on Hudson Clark (49), Arkansas also got significant contributions from former two-star recruits Jerry Jacobs (84), Andrew Parker (13) and Hayden Henry (11).

Combine those six players and they accounted for nearly one-third of the Razorbacks’ total defensive snaps - on a unit that (it bears repeating) held Mississippi State’s air raid offense to just 14 points.

2. Tackling Machines - HUTCH

I am aware that tackles can sometimes be an overrated stat. Just because you make a lot of tackles doesn’t mean you’re necessarily a great player.

However, the production Arkansas has gotten from its two starting linebackers - Bumper Pool and Grant Morgan - has been incredible. They have 31 and 28 tackles, respectively, through two games.

Those marks rank first and second in the SEC, while they also rank first and second nationally in terms of tackles per game. It’s unlikely they sustain that pace, especially if the offense gets it going and starts swinging the time of possession back in its favor, but they’re tracking toward 155 and 140 tackles - totals Arkansas hasn’t seen since Ken Hamlin in 2002 (159 tackles).

(It’s also worth noting Morgan played the entire second half Saturday essentially with one arm. I have no idea what the injury was, but he strikes me as the kind of guy who’d have a bone popped back in place and taped up on the sideline to he could keep playing.)

I had so little faith in the Razorbacks’ linebackers that I actually predicted Joe Foucha to lead the team in tackles this season in our preseason roundtable. We’re just two games into a 10-game season, but boy, does it look like I was wrong about doubting Pool and Morgan.

3. It’s a Wonderful Razorback Life - SEC Shorts - HUTCH

The SEC Shorts folks do pretty funny videos and the one in honor of Arkansas snapping its 20-game SEC losing streak is a classic…

4. Week 3 SEC Opening Lines - NIKKI

Tennessee at Georgia (-14)
Florida (-7) at Texas A&M
South Carolina (-12) at Vanderbilt
Arkansas at Auburn (-18)
Alabama (-23) at Ole Miss
Mississippi State at Kentucky (-3)
Missouri at LSU (-18)

The Arkansas line has already moved to -16.5. One thing I know for sure is Arkansas players are going to fight to the death for this win, I don't think they'll have more motivation than they do this week so early thinking is pick the Hogs to cover.

5. Feleipe Franks' week two performance - NIKKI

Despite a pretty anemic offense on most drives, Franks looked decently sharp with 20 of 28 completions, two touchdowns and NO turnovers. Keeping the ball safe was huge for the Hogs especially since they could hardly move down the field.

Through two weeks, Franks ranks 10th in the SEC in passing yards per game (206), 9th in completion percentage (60.9) and 7th in total completions.
week 2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cfcjr50 and DaltonG
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News