ADVERTISEMENT

Here are my observations

ejsHawg

Starter
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2004
Let me start with this. I'm no Coach Caldwell, so I'm trying to compete with his the stuff he brings. He's a coach and I'm not.

First, there is a pattern here. We struggle with spread teams that have a QB that can stand and throw quick reads and progressions. Ely with Toledo, Mahommes with Tech, kid with A&M and now Prescott with MSU. We stole the Ole Miss game, but Kelly fits that same mold. Teams that play downhill with aveage QB play we will play very close and win a lot of games. (We should hammer Mizzu if the players don't have a let down.)

Second, we lack talent on the defensive side of the ball. I'm not as down on the scheme as probably the vast majority, because I see the scheme as just a scheme. Nothing inherently good or bad about it. It is predicated on getting pressuring the QB with a front 4 and being able to cover the middle with LB/Nickel play. We lost those 4 players last season and have not found any 4 close to replacing them. Our scheme you have to be athletic and rock solid down the middle, LB, S and interior DL. This season we are not.

Third, Speight, Flowers, Mitchell and Philon hid how bad our safety play was last season. We really lack talent and speed at that position, and I am a huge Josh Liddell fan.

Fourth, MSU had late movement on DL all night and run bliltzed evey gap last night. They were not going to get beat with long run pounding drives that limited their possessions. They wanted a shoot out because they felt they could win that type of game. They put their guys on an island and understood we may give up a lot but hopefully we score last or get a stop. They got the stop.

Fifth, CBB post game admission was surprising. Not often do you hear a coach publicly say, I've messed up recruiting. The question is does it change your core approach. We've got to get more speed on defense and more athletic at the LB spot. I'm a firm believer in out recruiting a position each season - AND telling kids that my job is to recruit a kid better than you next season.

Sixth, realizing that CBB probably will not change overall defensive scheme, as a fan, I hope he recruits better because we will be facing 6/7 teams each season that will be a poor match up for our defensive scheme and we will have to win shoot outs.

Last, I see them beating Mizzu and getting that 5th conference win which will be huge for the program to sell to recruits.

Go Hogs!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News