ADVERTISEMENT

Hogs top Tigers behind big crowd at Bud Walton

Trey Biddy

Publisher
Jul 1, 2001
Fayetteville, Arkansas
arkansas.rivals.com
Arkansas led for 38 minutes and 59 seconds and never trailed as they beat LSU 99-86 Saturday night in Bud Walton Arena in front of the best crowd of the year, 16,099 in attendance.

Arkansas forward Moses Kingsley had his best offensive game of the year with 24 points on 10 of 18 shooting from the floor, (though he missed his final 4 free throw attempts). He also pulled down 7 rebounds and was key to the Razorback win.

"First let me give kudos to the greatest fans in the world," Arkansas coach Mike Anderson said after the game. "Great energy. One team would go up, another team would make runs. But at the end of the day we did what we had to do to win."

From Daryl Macon's opening 3-pointer 1 minute and 1 second into the game to Dusty Hannah's 26-footer with 34 seconds left, the Razorbacks (15-4, 4-3 SEC) never trailed and were never tied. The Hogs led by as many as 17 points 87-70, with 5:35 to play, but thanks to a poor showing at the free throw line - a 2 of 7 stretch from the 4:43 mark to the 2:39 mark, LSU (9-9, 1-6 SEC) got right back in it and got the lead down to 6 points. Arkansas battled back and scored the final 7 points of the game.

"We were up 17, and we all felt like we weren't playing enough defense. We've got to give a shout to the crowd and the student body," guard Anton Beard said. "Coach called timeout and we all just came together and said we need stops at the end, and that's what we did."

"I thought the second half we continued to battle," LSU coach Johnny Jones said. "I thought they did a great job of driving the basketball. We've got to do a much better job of protecting the paint, the rim...they did a great job of getting into the shot clock, driving the ball late, and making some late plays at the rim."...

CONTINUE READING... FULL GAME STORY

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News