ADVERTISEMENT

I think this is a player's dad

A

anon_j0hjgb7us6s1a

I guess this will have to be deleted because I brought this fan's post from a free board but I think Cooper Sone's dad posted this good info....

I told my son at a low point, “you guys need someone to step up and lead by example.”

He replied, “lead by example is BS. If you need someone else to show you how it’s done, you don’t deserve to be here.”

That is draconian. It’s harsh. It’s direct. It’s severe. When it comes to football, it’s how the great ones operate. I believe it’s how Coach Morris intends to lead the program and it’s a good thing.

They’ve said they want to be more mobile than any Oline in the conference. You can compare similar styles of offensive play to Auburn and Texas A&M under Sumlin. Auburn L to R was Golson (314), Horton (331), Dunn (292), Smith (300) and James (320). That’s an average of 311. A&M started Martin (310), Proctor (300), McCoy (315), Lanfear (320) and Sutherland (310). Also a 311 average. I don’t think they want guys 280 across the board, but a few 315s with a few 285-290 mixed in can work at this level. You won’t see Brian Wallace and Johnny Gibson at 280. They haven’t weighed that since they were 13. Regardless of what they weigh, they have to be able to move. Get to the spot and engage. If you’re outmanned, cut. It’s gohng to make a world of difference as well since the ball will be out quicker and the QB will never have his back to the line of scrimmage in play action.
-----------
I encourage you to go online and find as many SMU games as you can. They all of the things you mentioned, but they rely on up tempo and most importantly, getting the ball out of the quarterback’s hands quickly. There is play action. There is RPO. There is run game. There is a screen game. But players constantly shift and keep the defense off balance. You will seldom see 11 defensive players still before the snap. They are constantly shifting and moving to keep the defesne thinking. You can take an aggressive defense and use their pursuit speed against them by having them shift away from where you’re actually going. It’s all a chess match. The lineman won’t forget what they’ve already learned how to do, they will just have a system that makes what this doing much less predictable.
-------------------------
Wait until you see Clenin in this offense. 6’6”, 300 and moves like a basketball forward. He will thrive. All of last years freshman will be a good fit.
--------------------
All the defensive guys are excited about Chavis and bringing pressure.
------------------
What are your initial impressions of Fry as a teacher? What are you hearing that you can share from the team? Is his youth and having played at Clemson for a good team resonating well with the team?

I have not spoken to him personally. My son has while working out the last couple of weeks. Too early to say anything and I have no idea about his methods, but I’ve been told he approachable and excited about the new job as you’d expect. They’ve been told a key is being able to move in space. The number one thing about this staff is going to be familiarity. Everyone in the offensive side, with the exception of Lunney, is familiar with one another and the system. On the other side, Chavis and Caldwell go way back and Chavis worked with Cooper. The other guys in defense served roles at SMU as well, so Morris knows them and know what to expect. Everyone is on the same page and that will be great going forward.
------------------------------
It would be hard to find a fan or analyst anywhere that understood why it was week seven or so before the coaches decided on an O-line to go with. Many people already knew who the best five were and those are the ones they ended up with. Add to that, starting a true freshman, who has great potential, but wasn't ready, was borderline criminal.

You’ve hit on the problem. The best five weren’t out there together all season. Not a knock on Ty, he will be a great one, but all four freshman should have redshirted.
Frank, Johnny, Hjalte, Zach, and Brian were the best five.
---------------------------
Agim, Smith, Guidry, Capps, Hall, Marshall, Watts all can make plays. You have speed guys like Bell and Ramsey that you could bring on the edges. And good lord, please get Michael Taylor on the field. He’s one of the best athletes on the team and they’ve had him hidden under a rock.
--------------------------------
It was a good meeting. Coach Morris was very clear on his plans for the future. From what my son said, guys will either buy in it just say “bye” (my words, not his), which is as it should be. They got their workout groups, times, academic expectations, etc.
Things are all turned up a notch and that’s a good thing.

I imagine in the coming days or weeks, they will announce who is back and who isn’t. The numbers are very small. I will share this. There is one player that everyone expects to see plenty of time this fall that is leaving the team. The only reason I mention this, is the haters are going to jump all over it and make up some story about how the staff is having issues. The young man in question knew he wasn’t coming back in November and made it known to teammates then. It’s nothing to do with the staff change, it simply him wanting to move in with his life. All in all, it was a good meeting and there is a lot of work to be done before spring ball starts March 1st.

This is why I mentioned the player that said he was leaving before any changes happened. He’s not a malcontent or trouble maker. I’m not at all implying you’re saying that he he, but many would take a situation hat was already going to happen and spin it in a negative way. From what I understand, Coach Morris is going to be very direct with the team about conformity. You can’t ease into the position. You rip the bandaid off and start over. He has he players attention and that’s a great thing.

To a certain extent, every player is a “malcontent”. There are 11 on the field at a time and when you get 105 guys that have been the Alpha on every team they’ve ever been on, it’s a hard adjustment being just another fish in the pond. It’s how they respond that matters. As to the other posts since my post, please don’t turn this into 20 questions about who is stepping away. The only reason I said anything was to let everyone know that his decision was made earlier and it’s not a new staff issue. The player wasn’t at the team meeting last night. TJ was there. It’s not him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News