ADVERTISEMENT

I'm beginning to accept the likelihood that DMAC ...

Sir Dennis Eeatin-Hog

All-American
Apr 3, 2007
will be replaced as the starter for Dallas in 2016. Maybe not immediately, but the more I read the more it seems like Dallas wants a better fit for the zone-blocking scheme that their elite O-line was assembled to play. Whether by draft or FA, or a combination of both, I think DMAC may only be a placeholder for the very short term.

Apparently, Dallas had to change to more man- and power-blocking alignments to get the most out of DMAC in 2015 (we've known for years that DMAC runs better in these blocking schemes). I read that the Cowboys made the change about midway through his 10-game stint as the starter (and he became the starter in Game 7) ... this means the change in blocking schemes covered the last 4-5 games of the season, and the last 4 is when DMAC had his best numbers -- 100.5 yards per game, 7.2 yards per carry, and 6 of his 9 explosive runs (20-yards or more) on the season happened in that final-4-game stretch

Several other factors going against DMAC: he turns 29 in August, his injury history, lack of TD production, his contract runs out after 2016. Combined with recent luke-warm comments from Jason Garrett, who raved about DMAC after the regular season, it seems like Dallas is looking at DMAC to return to a back-up role.

I hope I'm wrong about this, because I thought DMAC produced very well in a hopeless situation due to horrendous QB play. I saw him play consistently at a high level, getting dirty yards, getting explosive runs, producing as a receiver, and good in pass-pro -- ALL when defenses paid less and less attention to Dallas's QB/WR play. Of course I'm biased, but I believe DMAC earned the starting role for 2016 even though it makes sense for Dallas to bring in starting talent.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News