ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Collins isn't on a NBA team

I think there is a much higher chance that 1 team out of 32 sign him for publicity, than all 32 teams blackball him because he's gay. Even if not for publicity or profits, to be the owner or organization that supports a very public issue right now.

There's also a decent chance he gets a job for purely basketball reasons. An analysis on that.

http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/29/jason-collins-breaks-a-barrier-but-will-he-find-another-n-b-a-job/

I don't know the guy personally, but I find it highly unlikely he is doing this to sue. Will he benefit from the publicity, even if he isn't in the NBA next year? Yes. Is that why he did this? I doubt it, but again I don't know the guy.

Originally posted by titanhawg:

Originally posted by ermackey:

Originally posted by Method Ham:
Homosexuality is not a protected class as defined by the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), therefore he does not have a basis for a discrimination claim arising from a failure to hire.
This is true and he is not going to sue anyone. Even if he did, the NBA is excluded from the Civil Rights Act in the "Private Club" exemptions.

This being said, the Civil Rights Act does prevent Gender discrimination. The current precedent is based upon a binary definition of gender (male and female). Several states have already redefined gender to include homosexuality, breaking the binary definition. I expect that the courts will eventually redefine gender to include preference and not just the dangles. I also believe this will be at least 5 years from now, but no more than 10 years, unless congress beats them to the punch and amends the Civil Rights Act legislatively.
Er...you make a good point, though your previous comments calling people bigots is uncalled for.

As for the definition of genders, there are over 20,000 different sexual deviances (meaning that "deviate" from the norm) that scientists (researchers) have discovered so far. In other words...all men and women can basically be placed on scales of "Very Masculine all the way to Very Feminine." You will meet men who are extremely rugged and masculine but also meet men who are much less masculine, through no choice of their own. Same goes for women. There are women that are born XY...but are 100% women and don't know they're even XY until they end up not being able to get pregnant. Also...there are men that are XX and don't know they're XX. There are many who have the external genitalia of one sex...but their brain is the opposite. These are known facts. There are also probably people who make sexual preferences based on something other than what their brain is telling them.

In other words...we don't always know what's going on behind the scenes and we really shouldn't make judgments. I know what the bible says about homosexuality...but I'll let God sort that out however He likes. The moment I start thinking I know what's going on from looking at it from the outside is the moment I'm probably wrong.
That is a great post titan; I think we can refer to ermackey as the one whose posts are most likely to lead a thread to the Grim Bottom

This person played less than 9 minutes per game. Avg less than 1 pt per game. He apparently was thinking of something else
besides basketball while he was playing or sitting on the bench. This just shows how F##### up this country is when this micro social issue gets a call from the so called president of the United States. They make up less than 6% of the population and not even 1 % of the NBA players. Why is this an issue? Get your heads screwed on right.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT