ADVERTISEMENT

Julie Cromer Peoples Press Conference Updates

Trey Biddy

Publisher
Jul 1, 2001
Fayetteville, Arkansas
arkansas.rivals.com
I'll post key updates from her press conference in this thread. Slated to start at 7:30.

"It was not an easy conversation to have as coach Bielema has represented the University of Arkansas and the football program with class."

Cromer Peoples said the decision was to do this now so he could talk with his team about it first so they didn't hear the news from outside sources first.

"There is no doubt Coach Bielema and his staff made a positive impact on our student-athletes."

She pointed to some memorable victories but failure to sustain consistent success that is expected and required.

"We must win games," she said.

Now they turn to finding a replacement. They believe the UA will attract attention from top candidates.

Regarding the buyout amount...

The Razorback Foundation will release details of his contract as they deem necessary.

They will launch the search this evening. She will run the point on the search. There will not be an official committee. She will lean on the network of supporters and people around the UA.

She said the advisory committee is in charge only of finding an AD. She said there isn't a need right now for a permanent AD because they already have one.

She has autonomy on finding the new coach. She feels she has been given full authority to go out and find the new coach. Again, there won't be a formal committee, but she will lean on the resources around her.

"Once I knew that this was going to be our decision, I thought that it was important to move quickly after the game," Cromer Peoples said. "I report to the chancellor. He and I talked, made the decision and I executed it."

Paul Rhoads is the interim head coach to deal with the players (and recruiting) until a replacement is found. The other coaches are still active employees with the university.

Bielema was fired for convenience, not cause.

Cromer Peoples said she was involved in a coaching search at Indiana seven years ago, hiring Kevin Wilson who was the former OC at Oklahoma.

"It's important to understand who is out there, what the market is, and I've done that. This is not the first coaching search that I've been involved in."

She said it is important to be a great recruiter, hire great coaches and relate to the culture at the UA...

"I think there are several things. I think to be successful here you have to have a relentless work ethic," she said. "I think coaches should be demanding but still be relatable to the student athletes of this generation."

Regarding background, she said it is premature to limit the search to a sub-pool...like only southerners or only people with SEC ties.

There is no timeline.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News