ADVERTISEMENT

***Kentucky Derby Thread***

jollyboyz

All-Conference
Jun 2, 2008
RACE 1 - 6 7 8 1 2

Very wide open race to start us off. I was torn between the 6,7, and the 8, but landed on #6 Tarpy's Surprise. I could see any of my top 5 winning it though.

RACE 2 - 3 7 1 8 2

#3 Yockey's Warrior has improved in each of his last two races on the sheets, and if he takes another step forward Hes going to be tough. #7 Island Town is VERY interesting. I almost picked him on top. His two year old numbers are great and 2 races back he beat Danzig Moon by over a length who is in the Derby.

RACE 3 - 4 9 2 8 5

This play is similar to the #2 horse in the 2nd race on Oaks Day that I picked on top at 15-1 and she got beat a nose. I really expect #4 West Village to love the switch to grass.

RACE 4 - 6 4 9 11 8

This race is very difficult to gauge with many coming off layoffs or 2nd off layoffs. I'm going with #6 Cat Burglar because he's trained by Bob Baffert and Bob Baffert doesn't ship for stakes races for the hell of it.

RACE 5 - 5 6 2 4 3

Changing my pick from last night. Taking Lord Nelson on top now. A lot of steam on this horse.

RACE 6 - 8 2 1 6 4

Outside of American Pharoah this is my best bet of the day. Also my best Longshot is in this race. #8 Conquest Typhoon rag numbers make him the one to beat in here, and Mike Smith jumps off #1 Luck of the Kitten who was your runner up in the BC Juvenile Turf which tells me all I need to know. Make sure #2 Wireless Future is in your business at 15-1.

RACE 7 - 1 8 4 5 3

Changed my pick here and flip flopped top two. Just can't take the Champ Judy The Beauty here at such low odds. Really wish #1 Sweet Reason had a race under her belt in 2015, but like that her trainer shipped her to KY from her NY base. She could of found a much easier spot for her 2015 debut, but decided to take on the champ. It'll be tough to beat the 8, but if you do those Pick 4's will pay nice.

RACE 8 - 8 4 5 11 3

Pretty wide open affair in this one. Taking the 8, but plenty can win.

RACE 9 - 2 4 5 6

Not much to say in this one. Looks like a two horse race between Bayern and Private Zone with Pants on fire having an outside shot.

RACE 10 - 9 3 7 5 10

#9 Seek Again's numbers are much better then his form would indicate. Has been running against much better. Part of me wanted to pick #3 Umgiyo on top at 30-1. Don't expect to get anywhere near those odds. Trainer Michael de Kock is one of the best trainers internationally. Anything he sends state side you better respect.

RACE 11 - 18 8 2 10 19

I still am all aboard the American Pharaoh bandwagon, but one clocker who I respect loves Dortmund. Says he's one of the best horses he's seen in years, so I flipped him and Carpe Diem. I love Martin Garcia's quote when asked about both Baffert horses. All he said was "American Pharaoh is fast." I think if he had his choice he'd be riding AP. It's one hell of a Derby. Besides my Top 5 I like Frosted, Materiality, Bolo, Danzig Moon, and Keen Ice at prices.

RACE 12 - 4 1 3 6 8

RACE 13 - 4 6 9 7 8

I bet this 4 horse heavily first time out at short odds. Going back to him at much better odds.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News