ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Key takeaways, box score from Arkansas' Game 2 win over Arkansas State

NWAHutch

Hall of Fame
Staff
Apr 30, 2018
Some nuggets on a few lightly used players + a health update on Brady Slavens...

FAYETTEVILLE — Midweek hero Dylan Leach homered and his teammates added a barrage of doubles as Arkansas finished off a two-game sweep of Arkansas State on Wednesday.

The backup catcher’s two-run long ball was part of a three-RBI performance, giving him 10 over the last three midweeks, and helped the Razorback coast to a 10-3 win over the Red Wolves at Baum-Walker Stadium.

“Just glad that’s over with and we can move on and get to conference, honestly,” head coach Dave Van Horn said. “Good to see some of the younger guys do well. … We just played solid.”

Arkansas scratched across its first run with a sacrifice fly by Kendall Diggs in the second inning, but — unlike in Tuesday night’s game — didn’t wait long to deliver the knockout punch.

In the very next at bat, Leach smacked Jakob Frederick’s 1-0 pitch into the left field bullpen. That gave the Razorbacks a 3-0 lead and they were off and running.

A two-run double by Jace Bohrofen — the fourth of six two-baggers by Arkansas — highlighted a three-run third inning and Leach added an RBI single in a four-run outburst in the seventh.

That gave the Razorbacks a 10-1 lead and put them on the brink of invoking the run-rule, but Arkansas State drew a pair of bases-loaded walks from Gabriel Starks in the seventh to ensure the final two innings would be played.

Here are a few other key takeaways from Arkansas’ win Wednesday…

Leach Feasts on In-State Foes

One player who’s certainly glad Arkansas adjusted its policy against playing in-state opponents is Leach. The Razorbacks’ backup catcher has tormented the likes of UCA, UAPB and now Arkansas State in midweek matchups.

On Wednesday, Leach went 2 for 4 with a home run, three RBIs and two runs scored. The long ball, which came in the second inning, was a 348-foot blast that left the bat with a 95 mph exit velocity and 32.6-degree launch angle.

With that performance, he improved to 9 for 22 (.409) against in-state foes this season. For his career, he has a .359/.432/.821 slash line and 13 RBIs in 39 at bats in those games, compared to a .143/.388/.171 slash line and 3 RBIs in 35 at bats against all other opponents.

However, his recent success at the plate has put him on the brink of potentially getting some playing time on the weekends.

“He’s getting better with the bat, obviously,” Van Horn said. “He works hard. I think he’s been steady behind the plate. He’s just developing a little bit there. And he’s a guy I wouldn’t have a problem catching in a conference game or bringing him off the bench to pinch hit. I’ve even considered that a couple of times.”

Another Solid Outing by McEntire

Starting the second game of a midweek series for the second straight week, redshirt sophomore Will McEntire turned in another solid start for the Razorbacks.

The right-hander was on the verge of getting through five scoreless, but gave up a two-out RBI single to Jared Toler. That ended his day after 4 2/3 innings and 77 pitches.

Although he allowed seven base runners on three singles and four walks, McEntire — much like last week — was effective in preventing them from moving around the diamond. Prior to Toler’s RBI, the Red Wolves were 0 for 6 with runners on base. That included a pair of inning-ending double plays in the third and fourth, plus three of his five total strikeouts.

“Some of his misses were close,” Van Horn said. “You take away maybe two of those walks, I think he had a really good outing. Four walks in 4 2/3 innings is too much. Usually it’s gonna get you, but he did a good job of keeping the ball down. He worked out of a jam or two. I thought he did a pretty good job.”

Even with the earned run, McEntire has a career 1.15 ERA in 15 2/3 innings. That includes eight innings as a true freshman in 2020 prior to the pandemic. He redshirted last season and didn’t make his first appearance of the season until last week.

“I was just waiting for the chance,” McEntire said. “I knew once I was given the opportunity that I could run with it. I knew they were going to give the young guys a chance; there’s a reason those guys are here, but once I got the opportunity, I knew I could roll with it.”

(story continues below)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News