ADVERTISEMENT

Kirby after a Saban commit. Jim Chaney talks CASH

A

anon_j0hjgb7us6s1a

Very good read if you want some insight on recruiting.
Now Chaney is a good recruiter....who knew?

In the story it questions his reosition. As of this moment they do not have any offers out to uncommitted WR’s.

The Plan for Simmons
Jake Reuse | Staff
Tyler Simmons said the Georgia staff has a plan for him and the Alabama commit paid close attention, especially when Jim Chaney starting talking NFL Draft money.

xuviydrsol1rjgwkvdp7

Simmons

When Tyler Simmons got to Athens, Jim Chaney wanted to talk numbers, but it wasn't receptions or yardage.

It was all about cash.

"The cool about Coach Chaney was he showed me that all the receivers that got drafted last year in rounds one through four," Simmons said. "He said if I came in, went to the combine, and threw some gear on, I go in as an unknown and run my times and do my test results the way I usually do them and be a fourth rounder at receiver. Looking at that, the guaranteed money for that is $500,000. He's telling me I'm worth half a million dollars right now, which is why he wants me. He told me how he can build me for that round three, round two, round one. That was just guaranteed money. That's the signing bonus."

That perked up the Alabama commit's ears.

"Round one, the highest signing bonus was Amari Cooper, and I think he got $14 million," Simmons said. "He was just showing me that if he helped me a little bit and got me to round three, that's an extra $300,000 more than four. Round two was like $2 million more than round three. He just showed how I could progress through the draft and how high he could get me. It was pretty cool looking at the business side of it. He told me how he could use me in a wildcat, a little as a running back, in the slot, and out wide. That was all Jim Chaney."

While some may not love the idea talking salaries with high school recruits, Simmons learned a important lesson.

"He's a pretty good recruiter," Simmons said. "He'll show you everything dealing with football. He said if you show it to most people, you'd think he was only interested in the marketing side of it, like getting drafted, but he cares about all of it. That's just the reality of it if you want to go to the NFL. He exposed it to me."

Credit the new coordinator's vision for the offense for catching Simmons' attention, as well.

"Coach Chaney is a smart dude," Simmons said. "He's not going to run a certain offense. I think he said pro style, but it's going to be his pro style. He's going to run to fit who ever he has. It's kind of like how he used Tyler Boyd. He accommodated the offense for him. He'll use whatever weapons he has on offense."

New Georgia wide receivers coach James Coley made a strong impression as well, including planning plenty of time for relationship building.

"Coach Coley said if I do decide to go to Georgia, once I sign, he said he'll be out once a week to see me," Simmons said. "He'll have me come out, which I can do whenever I want once I sign, two weekends. I'll stay on Friday, get to hang with the players, then I'll get up on Saturday, watch practice, and do the daily routine. I'll get a feel for it and get a start on the playbook."

With an entire offense starting from square one, Simmons believes the field could be ripe for early playing time.

"He said for a total of three practices, they'll be installing plays, and everyone will be new to it," Simmons said. "Once I come in, I'll have a feel for it and everything."

Simmons may have never met the coaching duo, however, if not for Georgia's change at the top.

"I'm a big Kirby Smart fan," Simmons said. "I love Coach Smart. That's one of the reasons I took a deeper look into Alabama. He's such a great recruiter."

Despite his defensive background, Smart has a long history with the three-star receiver.

"He was one of the first people who approached me after the (state championship) track meet," Simmons said. "Every time I came up there over the summer or in the season, he always made sure me and my family were accommodated."

Now, the head coach was talking progression in Athens.

"My family and I had a long talk with him," Simmons said. "It was emphasizing that he really wants me at Georgia, and he can use me as a freshman on offense. He said I'm already pretty good, but he's hired a coaching staff to make me even greater."

Smart and Simmons also shared a moment looking into their potential future together.

"It might sound a little cliche', but he told me I was one of his favorite recruits," Simmons said. "Coming from Coach Smart, it was sincere. He said he'd love to have me over there. Like I said, he's trying to build something special. This is his first recruiting class, and he told me what it could be like to be a part of that first class, win a national championship, and say I was part of the start of something."

For the Powder Springs-based playmaker, the visit was part fun, but also a chance to satisfy his curiosity.

"You only get one time to get your visits and get treated like this," Simmons said. "Once you sign your papers, the fun is over, and it becomes business. That was one of the reasons, but I wanted to see what Coach Smart was building out there."

Simmons and his family are now waiting to weigh their time in Athens against their upcoming visit to Tuscaloosa.

"My mom, my dad, my brother, and my stepmom loved it," Simmons said. "It had them to the point where they're excited for next week and comparing it to Alabama. I'll be there next week."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News