ADVERTISEMENT

Football Know the Foe: Gaining Mississippi State insight with BulldogBlitz

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR

As we will do throughout this football season, HawgBeat went behind enemy lines to gain insight on the Mississippi State Bulldogs with BulldogBlitz Managing Editor Jason Stamm.

Led by first-year head coach Jeff Lebby — the brother-in-law of former Arkansas offensive coordinator Kendal Briles — Mississippi State is off to a 1-6 (0-4 SEC) start in 2024.

Mississippi State opened its season with a 56-7 blowout over Eastern Kentucky before dropping two straight non conference games to Arizona State and Toledo. The Bulldogs’ struggles have continued in SEC play, but their offense does rank 4th in the SEC in passing yards per game during the month of October (274.0).

Starting for Lebby's squad at quarterback is freshman Michael Van Buren Jr., who has completed 61-of-114 throws (53.5%) with six touchdowns and two interceptions in four games.

On the defensive side of the ball, Mississippi State boasts the nation's No. 122 total defense (449.7 yards allowed per game) and it ranks No. 116th in scoring defense (33.3 points allowed per game) and No. 130th in defensive third down conversion percentage (49.5%).

Here is what Stamm had to say about Saturday's matchup, which is set to kick off at 11:45 a.m. CT at Davis Wade Stadium in Starkville, Mississppi...

1. MSU sits at 1-6 overall, but it seems the offense has shown some fight in recent games against tough competition. How have the Bulldogs progressed (especially since the Toledo game) under Jeff Lebby up to this point, and what's the team's identity?​

Stamm: "The biggest thing is Michael Van Buren, who's a true freshman, has gotten more comfortable. He took over after Blake Shapen was lost for the season with an injury against Florida. Van Buren is very athletic, has a good arm and has gotten better within the offense. He still holds on to the ball too long sometimes and has some questionable throwing choices, as you see with freshmen.

"But he's poised and has done well three games in a row now, against Texas, Georgia, then Texas A&M. But the Bulldogs will go only as far as Van Buren can take them. He needs to play near flawless for them to win and while I think he's grown and will be even better next season, he hasn't quite looked flawless. Still, there are some flashes, where he'll have a big run or hit a big pass, that let you know he's gonna be solid in the next few seasons."

2. Who are the key contributors on both sides of the ball for MSU?​

Stamm: "On offense, Kevin Coleman is the big play guy, at wide receiver. He has a ton of speed and Mississippi State finds creative ways to get him the ball, like on sweeps and screens. But the guy who's become a big, comfort target for Van Buren is tight end Seydou Traore. He's got some good hands and again, at 6-foot-4 and 235 pounds, he's a big target to hit.

"On defense, safety Isaac Smith has been a big play guy, but I'd argue the heart of the defense is linebacker Stone Blanton. He's got a motor and the Bulldogs need him to be the leader on that defense."

3. What are the areas that MSU struggles in that Arkansas might be able to take advantage of?​

Stamm: "Again, Van Buren has struggled as a true freshman, but he's come along. The Bulldogs have also been hit or miss running the ball, but that's partly because Keyvone Lee went down for the season against Florida. Davon Booth and Johnnie Daniels have filled in, but neither has really cemented themselves as the top guy.

"Mississippi State has also been burned through the air. So, if I'm Arkansas, I'm not afraid to dial up a few deep throws and really exploit the cornerbacks, which also have been hit and miss."

4. What are the vibes like from the fanbase for the program under Lebby? It's obviously Year 1, but losses can take a toll.​

Stamm: "No one expected to win much this season, so the fan base temperature is pretty tepid right now. This is a continuing rebuild, from when former coach Mike Leach unexpectedly passed away nearly two years ago. Last year was an interim coach, until Lebby came in this past off-season.

"He's winning some good recruiting battles, which is tough to do when you're losing, but expectations were tempered this season. You're right, no one wants to lose. So, Lebby better show improvement next season or his seat will start to at least get warm."

5. What's MSU's health like and are there any roster battles to watch for the Bulldogs?​

Stamm: "Again, Lee and Shapen are out for the season. But outside of that, the Bulldogs are just a little tired and worn down after three tough games. I'd keep an eye on Daniels and Booth, to see if one of them gets going from the backfield. It's fair to say the one who doesn't get ahead of the other will likely be transferring out after the season. And who knows what will happen with Lee."

6. How do you think this game will play out, and do you care to give a score prediction?​

Stamm: "Mississippi State has been in each of its last three games and had some flashes. If there's one that the Bulldogs can steal, I think it's this one. But I don't think that's necessarily gonna happen, at least, I'm not predicting it. I think Mississippi State will keep this one close and if they can hang around, at home, the Bulldogs could snag it."

Score Prediction: 35-31, Arkansas

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.