ADVERTISEMENT

Looking ahead...2024-25 Baseball Portal

DirkPiggler

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 8, 2002
It's pretty clear that we're going to need to bring in several portal additions yet again next year in order to fill out our lineup. The way I see it, we're going to at a minimum need the following positions covered by transfers or incoming freshmen, even assuming that we are able to use a couple of the returnees who aren't regulars this season.

2-3 OF
3B or 2B
Backup C
At least one SP

Here's how I see the lineup being filled so far (optimistically):

C: Helfrick
1B: Robinette or Waid
2B: Souza or portal
SS: Aloy
3B: Portal or Souza
LF: Jones (?)
CF: Portal
RF: Portal or Diggs (?)
DH: Waid or Robinette

I'd love to see us try to encourage Ike Irish from Auburn to hit the portal, with the understanding that he would catch 1-2 games per week and play first base the rest of the time. Helfrick could DH once per weekend and when Irish caught in midweek games in order to keep him fresh for the postseason. Maybe the appeal of playing for a potential contender would be enticing for Irish for his last year of college ball. This would also enable us to use any incoming freshman C (I haven't looked at that at all) to be the 3rd/emergency C.

Other than that I have no clue who might be available for the other spots. Have any of you heard any chatter regarding any players who might be portalling and who could fit our needs?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News