ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball MLB Draft

PorkRyan12

All-American
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2005
Hearing that the draft is only going to be 5 rounds and that it could be announced by this weekend. Scouts want 20. Players want 10. Owners want 10 but only half of slot for rounds 6-10 which the players rejected. Unless something changes last minute it is going to be 5.

Expect it to be heavy on college players. At this point there is the possibility that we could get every HS kid to campus.

Kjerstad is expected to go 10-15 overall. Martin is probably going to be 2nd round and could fall to late 2nd round. With only 5 rounds, he is viewed as a risk despite his tools. I don't think Opitz gets drafted in a 5 round draft. I wonder if they will remove the 20k cap for FA's and let them sign for more, say 125k? That might be the best middle ground.

We have about 4 kids who are going elsewhere. Colin Taylor is in the portal. The others are not in there yet and one may be going JUCO so I don't know that he ever shows up in the portal. Obviously, there will be a lot of roster turnover before the Fall and even more afterwards.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News