ADVERTISEMENT

My Top 5 Coaching Candidates

ryd75

All-Conference
Gold Member
Jan 31, 2005
With everyone having an opinion on who the next coach should be, I wanted to dig a little into some numbers and determine who the Top 5 would be. My basis for this wasn’t on numbers alone but what conference/s they accumulated their wins in as well. Once I got a Top 5 I ranked them based on “fit”. Not the fan bases favorites but just plain fit.

The Top Five

1) Gus Malzahn - Yes I know there will be plenty to say about him being my number 1 because I have promoted him in the past but in terms of wins, conference affiliation and fit, he is the best option out there. Malzahn has a 67.6% winning ptg. with 7 of his 8 total years as a college head coach being in the SEC. He averages right now 8.6 wins per season and his history in Arkansas makes him the best candidate among those chosen for this thread.

2) Mike Leach - The coach with the 2nd longest college coaching career among the coaches chosen, Leach has a 18 year history of Power 5 coaching with a winning percentage of 62.4. He averages 7.7 wins per year which is very impressive when you look at what programs he coached at in the Big 12 and PAC 12. He has a history in Texas which Arkansas needs recruiting wise. What hurts him is both major conferences he has coached in are not exactly known for their defenses and he would almost have to come with a rockstar DC.

3) Lane Kiffin - Serious candidate or not, Kiffin wins and has won at every place except the NFL. At 8 years as a college head coach, Kiffin wins 63% of his games and averages 7.3 wins per season. History, recruiting ability, and his ability to bring in a good staff make him just as attractive as his offensive scheme. Lane has coached in the SEC and PAC 12 which helps him as well. Still, in terms of fit, Kiffin can be kind of a wildcard, maybe too much of one for a program looking to rebuild.

4) Matt Campbell - Many would argue this should be the first name on here. While Matt Campbell’s ability to coach is obvious with a 61.8 winning percentage and an average of 7.5 wins per year, his ability to coach and recruit in the SEC is not proven. Still, Campbell has proven he can rebuild a program taking ISU from a perennial 2 to 3 wins a year program to likely their 3rd straight post season Bowl game.

5) Bryan Harsin - Harsin has the best winning percentage (76.4%) and the best average wins per season at 8.7 of all the Top 5 coaches. So why is he 5th? Because Harsin has accumulated his wins exclusively as a Group of 5 coach. No matter what anyone tells you, coaching and recruiting in the Sun Belt and Mountain West is completely different than the SEC. Still Harsin has coached in Arkansas and would be fit in terms of style.

Coaches that missed the Top 5 in order of rank...

6) Mike Norvell

7) Matt Rhule

8) PJ Fleck

9) Willie Fritz

10) Bill Clarke

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News