ADVERTISEMENT

Name Your Pre-Season Off & Def MVPs and Newcomers

hawg3325

Signee
Dec 4, 2011
Jonesboro AR
Name your preseason guess for offensive and defensive MVPs, as well as offensive and defensive newcomers who will have the greatest impacts.

Offensive MVP - Austin Allen; Austin proved that he was one of the best QBs in the SEC when he had time to throw last season. Unfortunately, the OL gave up a ton of sacks and hits on him that played a role in his not achieving even better numbers. I think Austin greatly benefits from an OL that is more experienced and, hopefully, much more settled than the "musical chairs" of last season.

Defensive MVP - Dre Greenlaw; The big question here is will Dre's foot stay healthy. If so, I think that he makes a ton of plays from his LB position. He was on pace to be near the team leader in tackles last season before the foot injury happened.

Offensive Newcomer of the Year - Jeremy Patton; Patton was the No. 9 overall junior college prospect by 247Sports, which was the first time that a TE has been in their top 10 since 2013. Barry Lunney, Jr. seemed to light up when he talked about Patton's size and athleticism in his pre-season interview on Hawgsports. Add to this that the Hogs lost their top TE target from 2016 in Jeremy Sprinkle, along with many of their top WRs, and love to utilize the TEs in their offense.

Defensive Newcomer of the Year - Briston Guidry; Guidry was pretty highly recruited, and I thought he may get some playing time as a true freshman last year. However, surgery last summer to repair a HS injury supposedly put him behind and played a role in his redshirting. The RS year should mean that he's stronger, more physically matured and more mentally prepared to contribute this year.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News