ADVERTISEMENT

Next Football Season

Without trying to sound like I'm TOO giddy about promoting Rhoads to DC and what that means for next season, I'd like to say that I am pretty excited about what it CAN mean. Think about this: We now have 2 coordinators whose previous jobs were as HC's, meaning those guys excelled as coordinators and were rewarded as such. I wonder how many schools in D1 can say that? We also have continuity after a coordinator change. Say what you will about whether that is good or bad, I've always thought it was good for there to be some familiarity with what to expect from your coaches, when possible. The players know Rhoads and seem to like him and respond to him. Iowa State's kids would have run through a wall for the guy. And they did pretty dang good for Iowa St. most of the years he was there. 3 bowls in 7 years (and 3 of the first 4) is almost unheard of up there.

I've lost a little faith in Bielema's direction this year, but you can't say the guy doesn't try to make changes he thinks will help his program. I'd like to see a couple more staff changes, but I'll rest assured that if no more are made that the Hogs will be just fine next year.

Swapping Partridge for Segrest seems like a no-brainer for me, if it's an option. As a potentially 3-4 D, we only need 1 DL coach and I think one seems to be far superior to the other.

We also have a DB opening and if they are able to reel in Terrell Buckley...dude. If that guy is 10% of the coach he was as a player, look out. I'm only going off of Trey's DB Hot board with that name.

Then there's the possible 10th assistant position. You add an ILB or OLB coach with some recruiting clout and let Hargreaves handle the other.

I really liked the sound of hiring Diaco and adding Aaron Henry back to the staff, but never thought either one would happen. No inside knowledge, and oddly enough I was right. It happens sometimes.

Imagine your defensive staff next year looking like this:
DC/S-Rhoads (former HC, solid DC history)
DL-Partridge (former HC, solid STC history)
OLB-TBD, but a recruiting DUDE
ILB-Hargreaves (pretty decent coach, name value with popular son in NFL)
CB-Buckley (impressive player resume, building his coaching profile)

I'm more than good with that line-up, and added to the offensive staff that has fielded a pretty salty O the past 2 years (I know, the OL needs improvement), we could be looking to impress this year. I'd love to predict 9-3 or better, but I'll reserve my judgement and temper my excitement until at least after the spring. More experience and improving talent on offense paired with a fresh new scheme and focus on defense will hopefully prove that Bielema is in fact our guy for a while.

I know this will ruffle some feathers of folks who want the big guy gone and that's ok. Agree to disagree.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News