ADVERTISEMENT

Scholarships Gone?

PorkshankRedemption

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 12, 2011
So with Title IX, everything over the past few decades has been all about equity within sports. With that emphasis, the NCAA has quantified what a scholarship is worth universally and has therefore attempted to balance finances by limiting scholarship distributions to sports with the ultimate goal of limiting male dominated sports from overloading a schools educational budgetary confinements.

However, a scholarship is simply a subsidy, provided by the university, to reduce the amount owed by the individual solely for educational purposes.

The ruling today indicated that the NCAA can have no limitations on education-related compensation. Given the aforementioned, I don’t think it will do away with the 11.7…because that’s a title IX issue beyond the scope of yesterday’s ruling…but I do think it renders it obsolete.

Yes, you still may only receive 1/10 of a “scholarship,” but now the university has legal parameters to compensate you the remainder of the 9/10 as long as it is for educational purposes…which of course tuition would be.

@PorkRyan12 brought this up yesterday and I’ve been doing a lot of reading into it and I believe he was right. Do I think the 11.7 goes away? No. Do I think a baseball player for Arkansas pays a dime for school next year? No.

@NWAHutch Im sure everyone and their dog will be asking Dave about his thoughts on this, but I’d love to hear his thoughts as it pertains to subsidizing the remaining balance of an athletes tuition not previously compensated due to the scholarship limitations imposed by the commies…I mean NCAA.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News