ADVERTISEMENT

Baseball Scrimmage Thoughts and Analysis

KevinBohannon

Baseball Recruiting Analyst
Staff
Jan 20, 2016
Central Arkansas
After a much anticipated opening weekend of baseball that saw the 2022 version of the OmaHogs on full display, here’s some of my thoughts on what I’ve seen so far:

Offense will be just as good as previous seasons and this lineup will hit the long ball but have a bit more plate discipline than 2021. Last year it seemed to be Boom or Bust and I believe this team will walk more and have better approaches than last year. the offense will bail out the pitching early in the year as Hobbs figures out indiciud

Cayden Wallace will be an All American by season’s end. Wallace wasn’t picked for any major publication Preseason teams likely due to him switching back to 3B but with a renewed focus and maturity at the plate, he could have a banner year. The defensive skills at 3B are very underrated.

Connor Noland may finally live up to the hype. Yes he looked a little heavy last year after bulking up and now he looks like he’s in the best shape of his life. The velo looks good and should be sustainable and his offspeed is missing barrels. All signs point to him reclaiming the Friday night role.

Freshmen arms will have to step up. Hagen Smith has been raves about and the talent is there for him to be a weekend guy. The SEC is a gauntlet and takes a mentally strong pitcher to attack hitters. Nick Moten is behind due to illness but will contribute. Ledbetter and Tygart can compete in the zone and offer different skill sets. Second year guys like Starks and Wiggins have all the potential but the consistency has to be better, bottom line. Trest and Vermillion may find themselves too far down the list if they don’t get it figured out opening the door for the new guys.

This is the deepest roster DVH has ever had. I talked to a scout before the 2018 season and he told me that everything is set up for a great 5-7 year run based on the talent in the pipeline. Prior to 2018, the roster would have 8-10 pro prospects but that year it was 16-18. Fast forward to 2022 and I believe almost every position player will have a chance to play pro ball after their time on the hill. As long as DVH keeps stacking Top 5 classes and getting the likes of Moore, Wallace and Stovall to campus, the train will keep on going.

This team has the talent to get to Omaha…but so do a lot of other teams, especially in the SEC. Thanks to shortened drafts in back to back years this may be the most competitive year of college baseball in recent memory. There are question marks for a lot of SEC teams in terms of weekend starters and offenses will get the spotlight early. The teams that figure it out the fastest have a chance to be last man standing.

sits gonna be a fun season and I look forward to providing you guys some insight throughout the year. Hit me up if you have a question or just want to talk ball: Twitter @CoachKBo

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News