ADVERTISEMENT

SDS article on top SEC recruiters

ejsHawg

Starter
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2004
After looking at the SDS article on the top 100 SEC recruiters, it confirms a few thoughts:

1) Top brand schools recruit themselves. When Kentucky (Marrow #14) and AR (Lunney Jr #24) are the only SEC schools with recruiters in the top 25 that aren't top tier schools (Bama, GA, Auburn, TN, FL & A&M) it solidifies the argument that top brand schools recruit themselves, regardless of who is the coach.

2) Pittman and Shannon better recruiters now? With Pittman listed #2 and Shannon listed #6, one asks did they become better recruiters since they left Arkansas or just at schools that recruit themselves. Don't get me wrong Pittman recruited above average at AR - (Shannon is different story); but neither were even close to this good at Arkansas.

Just my opinion on Shannon, I think he mailed it in at Arkansas because I really don't think he wanted to be here. He did just enough, brought in Florida kids that were marginal - ones I believe anyone could have recruited - but it fit into what Brett wanted, and we called it great.

My conclusion is that for programs like Arkansas we need a staff that can do both. Arkansas needs elite recruiters but also coaches that can teach the game. This creates a true challenge. I think money may help overcome some of that; but you still have the challenge that assistant coaches want to be successful and programs like Arkansas are harder to do that at than elite programs.

Once again, just confirms how Arkansas has no margin of error in order to achieve an SEC championship.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News