ADVERTISEMENT

Selecting a QB for our new offense..

CC Hogfan

Prospect
Nov 25, 2017
Most believe that Daulton Hyatt and Cole Kelley will be the front runners due to their skill sets.. I do know that Ty Story has been here the longest, but he is way more geared to the pro-style offense..I really like Austin Aune and Connor Noland for down the road.. I want to take a look at offensive adjustments that will likely be made according to qb that wins the job..."How it might look?" "what are likely adjustments with personnel and alignments?"

Each one of these assessments will be based off what I know from film on each one and what we seen out of Kelley last year. With the knew strength and conditioning program and focus on speed and agility it might change.

Cole Kelley:

Cole is mobile enough, but isn't going to be a guy that rushes for a high amount of yardage making it a true run threat which will be in each game plan to get him so many carries. He has a big arm and enough escapability to make plays..

The RPO game

With Cole at Q the RPO game wouldn't be a pure read and pull zone offense, it would be more of the Pull and Pass look. It would look very similar to a play-action game in the same way that SMU ran it this year and like Auburn did to with Stidhem at Q. Probably see a lot of stack formations on the outside and using the screen game to the outside as an extension of the run game..

The Run Game

likely you would see more of the pistol type formations for straight down hill running.. I would anticipate us using a lot of inside zone looks off of the pistol, power, counter, and Jet Sweep being primary down hill offense. Would anticipate the buck-sweep as their approach the outside zone with Cole at Q

The Shot game:

With the pistol look I anticipate downhill play-action passing with vertical looks going anywhere from 20 to 25 yard releases. Also, look for their to be a lot of action with the sniffer's (H-Backs) on the wheel route actions that they will use off of the Jet game and misdirection play action stuff.

I think you would see more of a 60/40 Run to pass ratio with Cole, but the yardage would be high because there would be a lot more shots taken..

Daulton Hyatt:

According to his High School Hudl highlights, he will give us more of the true dual threat action.. His arm strength appears that he can make all the throws with the exception to the hole shots on cover 2 in the SEC that you have to stick in the window to the outside to make effective.. (However, I am sure his arm has probably got stronger since he is a red-shirt freshman so this could be a moot point)

RPO Game:

His would be more of the zone read and pull game that would have bubbles and key screens to the outside in a true triple option look. I would anticipate with Daulton more run-pull reads off of every family of plays (Jet, Shot, Power, Counter, Zone) I would see us most likely utilizing a true inside zone look changing out reads.. When they go to the pistol look it would likely be some zeer looks (Zone blocking with Veer Reads) to have true access/gift throws out the backside in one on ones..

Run Game:

I would anticipate with him that they would factor him into the run game by giving him 8 to 10 true carries per game. Again, I see it being a true read off of every family of plays. I believe with him at the Q the back alignments would be more of the invert T a lining out to his side in the b gap a step behind him.. On the outside zone (which I think they feature more with Hyatt) you would get the slight step in front of the Q alignment for a straight line run to get the outside instead of the old Buck sweep action likely with Cole.

Shot Game:

This will probably be play-action off of zone looked, and a lot more built in run checks. Still believe the H back wheel will fit his skill set, and with their 4 vertical game I figure would will see a bender (deep In route) on all vertical attacks.. Most shots with him will be take 15 to 20 yards I would think.

The balance of play calling with Hyatt at Qb would probably get up into the 65-3 range run to pass as they did at Clemson more.. His completion % would be higher than Cole's because they would use more quick game and shots wouldn't be nearly as deep for each approach..

These again are just based off of what I have seen each guy do on film or in a game situation.. Alot can change on their development..

Prediction:

Hard to say, but I do believe that Hyatt might have a slight advantage on this based upon what I believe they are going to try to do to win in the SEC..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News