ADVERTISEMENT

OT Story time: Rufus the Rooster in Heber Springs

NWAHutch

Hall of Fame
Staff
Apr 30, 2018
I am at my in-laws' place this weekend and they told me that the biggest drama where they live (Heber Springs) is the death of Rufus the Rooster, who lived at the post office in town.

Apparently he would go greet people as they came to the post office and folks would bring it food and stuff. He lived there for like three years.

Well, recently, some stray dogs killed poor Rufus and the town has gone insane. They've erected a memorial at the post office and actually held a memorial service one morning! They presented the postmaster with a hand-painted statue. Several Facebook groups have been started as a result. Some folks want a new rooster. Others have started a petition to have Rufus put on a stamp. For real.

Naturally, there are some folks on the other side of the issue who think it's ridiculous and are like, "We're not supposed to have livestock in city limits." Some want to sue the city/government over it.

Here's a photo someone posted to one of those Facebook groups I was talking about...
IMG-1684.jpg

I freaking love this state. Figured y'all would appreciate a story like this during these sports-less times.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News