ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Allen and the Hogs

phillipadavis

Letterman
Gold Member
Jul 21, 2007
Recruiting is an extremely emotional business. I know first hand how hard a decision it is for any homegrown kid to decide to go out of state. I applaud Mr. Allen for sticking with his commitment. We bash teenagers all the time for flip flopping all the time, unless they flip to the Hogs of course. However, Coach Donovan moving on opens the door for the Hogs and regardless if we have 20 top 100 guards, I WANT THE BEST ARKANSAS KID ALWAYS!!! Imagine last years team with a Marcus Monk or a Jonathan Modica on it. You want people on your team that the uniform means more to them than someone from out of state. That's not a knock on out of state greats, I just believe kids raised in this state know that the UA sports programs are the very PULSE of the entire state. That also brings pressure, and not everybody likes added expectations,(Stephan Currylast night).
I have zero issues with Kevaughn picking Donovan over MA. It's 100% factual everything he based his decision on. A top 100 kid from our state has to believe that if he were from a higher profile state, he might be in the top 30. And that would equate to a NBA roster possibly. So going to the "most proven" coach is a very logical thing to do. And if it's out of state, then he had better believe it 100% which I'm sure in this case he did.
THIS is the very reason you don't listen to rumors and you continue to recruit a kid after they are committed elsewhere. That you NEVER get mad or shun them when they make the choice you don't want. Because things happen, grandparents get sick (Broderick Green RB FOOTBALL) and they transfer home, or coaches leave and they decide to stay home.
It's possible that Kevaughn chooses some place else. We are guard deep, and early playing time is important. MA's system is great for getting small minutes early, but what if you are a John Wall type guy? And you are capable of playing 34 minutes from the start, would MA play him that long in this system? If Monk comes, will he play Monk 34 minutes? You may not believe me, but THIS is th number 1 thing that BIG TIME recruits are concerned about at UA. Everyone loves MA, the staff, tradition, Bud Walton, and now the practice facility. But WILL they have a chance to log in the minutes that they would at Kentucky, or Duke in order to be showcased as a lottery pick after one year? I would like to think the answer is yes. But MA will have to prove that.
I'm just happy that all the rumors about MA and company not recruiting Allen hard is BS. I figured that, but it's nice to hear from someone first hand. I appreciate him sharing that. Fingers crossed we land the best player in Arkansas as I believe if we keep the top player or two each year from the Natural state, we will be exactly where we all want to be. WOO PIG

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News