ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on CBB and his clock/timeout management in TCU game

dmjinc71

Starter
Gold Member
Dec 20, 2012
Tampa, FL
I saw a handful of "eat crow" threads on AA, Brooks Ellis, etc. Apologies if I missed any on CBB. I know there have been a lot of complaints, and valid ones, about his clock management.

I thought this game was managed well. Curious to know what others thought. That last TD drive in the 4th quarter was as well run as they come. I don't remember any time where I thought he should have used a TO but didn't. I was a little concerned about using the 3rd TO to ice the kicker at the end, thinking it might be valuable if we could get a decent return and take a couple of plays to get in FG territory. But in hindsight, it was probably worth it not just to ice the kicker but to get ready for the block. We had a better chance of blocking a FG than getting a good KR (which we hadn't all night), a couple of good yardage plays, and a long FG (which is far from a guarantee for us).

My favorite part of the game management was sending a seething Skipper without his helmet out by himself for the OT coin toss. It was like something out of Game of Thrones - the Mountain staring down the High Sparrow's punks. When the ref asked Skip to choose which end of the field, I was hoping he'd say "I choose violence"

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News