ADVERTISEMENT

Football VIDEO/TRANSCRIPT: Texas A&M HC Jimbo Fisher talks Arkansas, KJ Jefferson on SEC Teleconference

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021

Opening statement

Very proud of our team this past weekend. Had a very hard-fought, physical game against Auburn. Did a great job. Defensively, I thought we were outstanding in the game. Created a lot of negative plays, a lot of pressure on the quarterback. Played the ball very well. Tackled, for the most part, very well. Offensively, moved the ball. Didn’t score any touchdowns in the first half, got ‘em in the second. Played well. Got some stops in the end, had a critical turnover, but overcame it. So faced some adversity, in hindsight. You know, you’d love to play perfect. But in hindsight, I love the way the kids adapted to all the adversity. Didn’t get frustrated in the game when we had some opportunities early. Kept their poise, kept playing. Overcame a turnover and then to be able to run the football and put the game away, two of the things we did very soundly — and the kicking game.

So very proud. Gonna have to be this week, because Arkansas is one heck of a team. Offensively, very dynamic. Scoring points like crazy. Receivers, big, long athletic, can run, great ball skills. Young tight end can catch. And if they get Sanders back at running back, plus the other backs they have and of course everything starts with KJ. KJ is a tremendous football player. Hard to get on the ground, makes throws, leadership, brings you back. I mean, there’s nothing he doesn’t do on the football field. Tremendous player.

Defensively, athletic. McGlothern does a great job at secondary with the other guys back there. Linebackers are active, long, can tackle. Jeffcoat and Jackson, those guys can rush up front and create problems there. Special teams always do a great job. Kicker and punter are really good. Return guy, he took one back for a touchdown already this year.

So, all three phases play very well. Sam is a heck of a football coach and does a great job. We’re going to have to play well. It’s a rivalry game out there. It’ll be a split crowd, so very important game. It’s the next game and it’s an SEC game, it’s an SEC West game. So, as I say — double whammy.

Reports of Weigman being done for season. Update?

Yeah, it is. As I said in the press conference the other day, we thought everything was fine. He was having some pain, we X-Ray’d and MRI’d it — didn’t show anything. We thought it was a normal sprain. He had some pain, so they got a CT scan and it showed some things in there that they’re going to have to go in and fix and get that done. So most likely will be out, but we feel very confident in Max. Max came in and played great. Unfortunately we hate to lose Connor for our football team and for himself, but like I said before, I think we have two starting quarterbacks and we feel very good about that and we’ll have to move on. But that’s just where we’re at.

When did you get final word that his season was over?

It was after…I don’t know when it was. It was sometime that next Tuesday morning I believe it was.

Reactions: cfcjr50
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News