ADVERTISEMENT

FB Recruiting Vision becoming clearer for Texas DL Xavier Ukponu following Arkansas visit

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR

Denton (Texas) Guyer three-star defensive tackle

Xavier Ukponu
is in the midst of a string official visits to a number of programs around the country.

Ukponu is fresh off a weekend visit to Arkansas, a school that was previously not among the top contenders.

But after a strong visit, the Razorbacks have increased their status among the top programs in the race for the 6-foot-3, 290-pounder. He has also decided on a trio of programs that are the true contenders to land his commitment.

Ukponu already has a trio of official visits notched off in Oklahoma State, California, and Arkansas. The Cowboys and Golden Bears hosted Ukponu in previous weeks, hoping to capitalize on early visit relationships going into the summer.

The pair of programs impressed but appear to be on the backend of the contenders at this time.

This weekend's Arkansas visit brought the Razorbacks from the back of the group and propelled them into the top three in the running.

Ukponu says he enjoyed his time in Fayetteville and was able to bolster some key relationships on staff, especially defensive line coach Deke Adams. "He's a great guy and a great coach too."

Ukponu felt good about the pitch from Adams and the rest of the staff, which surrounded early playing time.

"They told me they need defensive tackles for next year and I would have the chance to come in and play as a freshman."

Ukponu told he now has Arkansas as a "top three team" in his recruitment.

The other two programs to fit among the group are LSU and Florida. Ukponu will officially visit each, the Gators on June 14 and Tigers on June 21.

Back in April, I logged a FutureCast in favor of LSU, a prediction I still feel comfortable with at this time. Ukponu is expected to make a commitment before the season.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News