ADVERTISEMENT

What's next for Luke Hasz at Arkansas?

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR

A stellar but shortened freshman season due to a broken collarbone wasn't enough to hold Arkansas tight end Luke Hasz off Freshman All-American lists, and now the Oklahoma native is due for a redemption tour with the Razorbacks during the 2024-25 season.

In only five games played last year, Hasz recorded 16 receptions for 253 yards and three touchdowns. He popped on the national radar after back-to-back exceptional performances against BYU (78 yards, touchdown) and LSU (116 yards, two touchdowns) before his season came to an untimely end when he suffered a broken clavicle against Texas A&M.

Healthy and more ready than ever, Hasz has leaped in his development and dedication to the game in the eyes of Arkansas tight ends coach Morgan Turner.

"His dedication has been unbelievable," Turner said. "I mean, he’s on the smaller side but he’s put in the time, he’s added weight, added strength. I think he’s in great shape, he’s lean. He wants to be great. You can see it with the way he works but you can also feel it. He just has that desire and the way he lives his life reflects that."

A former highly-recruited four-star from the class of 2023, Hasz has the potential to be a deadly weapon in offensive coordinator Bobby Petrino's offense. Some adjustments will and have already been made by the sophomore from last season's scheme, but everything is there for the taking if Hasz puts in the work.

“As long as he continues to grow and learn what we’re doing and play within the confines of the offense, good things are going to happen," Turner said. "I don’t know how it’s going to play out. You never know when the ball is going to go his way. But I know he’s putting in every effort to make it happen.”

If one were to make a critique of Hasz during his freshman season, it'd be his run-blocking. According to Pro Football Focus, the now 6-foot-3, 241-pounder finished with a 52.0 grade in that department across 108 snaps. That's been an area of focus this offseason for Hasz, who said he wants to play a bigger role in the Hogs' rushing attack.

"Learning the details of the offense," Turner said. "It’s not just running around and getting open, not that he didn’t do that last year but even just being on the details more, and he wants to be involved in the run game. He wants to do everything. It’s really fun to work with a player like that, I can coach him hard. I can ask him to do anything and he’s going to do it because he wants to, he wants to be great."

So, what's next for Hasz in a Razorbacks uniform? The recently-engaged star talent seems ready to make a Year 2 leap in Fayetteville, and could even be the next Arkansas tight-end to be given the John Mackey Award. In the end, though, Hasz said he just wants to win some games.

"You'll tell this year that our team is more together," Hasz said. "I mean, we have an amazing offense coordinator and a great head coach. So, it'll be fun this year. We're excited to go out there and win games."

Arkansas will continue fall camp with practice No. 3 on Friday, so be sure to follow along at The Trough premium message board for full coverage of the Razorbacks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.