ADVERTISEMENT

Who will be Arkansas’ leading receiver in 2024?

masonchoate

Publisher
Staff
Sep 1, 2021
From @DanielFair

Coming off a tumultuous and disappointing 4-8 (1-7 SEC) 2023 season, the Arkansas Razorbacks and fifth-year head coach Sam Pittman are hoping to turn things around — especially on the offensive end.

Pittman fired offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Oct. 22 following a 7-3 loss to Mississippi State, a game that Arkansas only recorded 97 receiving and 200 total yards. Pittman then brought back former Hogs' head coach Bobby Petrino to fill the play caller role ahead of the 2024 season.

Arkansas' 2024 offense will feature several new skill position players after the transfer portal took three running backs (Rocket Sanders, Dominique Johnson and Isaiah Augustave) and two quarterbacks (KJ Jefferson and Jacoby Criswell) over the offseason.

The Razorbacks replaced those losses with running backs Ja'Quinden Jackson (Utah) and Rodney Hill (Florida State), and they brought in starting quarterback Taylen Green (Boise State) and depth piece Blake Boda (Coastal Carolina) at the signal caller position.

In the wide receiver room, Arkansas didn't suffer much attrition to the transfer portal, NFL Draft or graduation. Despite the Razorbacks' painful-to-watch offense last season, there are still pieces who can contribute in 2024, assuming Petrino can exceed his predecessor and actually get the ball moving.

Andrew Armstrong — who led the team in receptions and yards in 2023 — returns, along with Isaac TeSlaa, Tyrone Broden, Isaiah Sategna and a slew of freshmen and second-year players who could break out once fall camp starts. Transfer additions Jordan Anthony (Texas A&M) and Khafre Brown (South Florida) also have a chance to get reps for first-year receivers coach Ronnie Fouch.

For now, HawgBeat takes a look at three different wide receivers that could lead Arkansas in receiving yards for the 2024 season:

Andrew Armstrong - Redshirt Senior​

1721224011202.png

This seems like an obvious answer, but Armstrong has arguably the best chance to build off what was an impressive campaign during his first year in Fayetteville.

Sure, the Razorbacks offense was putrid to watch for most of the season and no one on the offensive line could hold a block long enough to allow a receiver to run down the field, but Armstrong showed he has what it takes to compete in the upper echelon of college football.

The Dallas native started every game in 2023 and led the team in receptions (56), yards (764) and had five touchdowns. He was named Fourth Team All-SEC by Phil Steele for his efforts after the season.

From what has been seen of the offensive line so far in spring practices, the unit looks stronger and more capable heading into 2024, which should give Green more time to scan the field and make better throws, assuming he’s able to consistently deliver on time and on target.

After one spring practice on March 31, Armstrong said he’s molding himself to be a leader to the team both on and off the field.

“I feel like if I bring everyone else around me and things like that, everyone can be great, good, do whatever they can do on the field to the highest ability they can,” Armstrong said. “Because I feel like there’s no leadership in the room. Everybody just goes out there and does what they do. So I feel like being a leader is one of the biggest things that will allow me to bring into my game this year."

Tyrone Broden - Redshirt Senior​

1721224030966.png

Another receiver heading into his second year in Fayetteville after transferring, Broden was a frequent target of Green’s in the spring game with five receptions for 60ish yards and a touchdown.

Broden was underutilized in 2023, but that is likely due to the fact he was injured for a lot of camp and struggled to get into a groove when the season began. He started to break out towards the end of the season, highlighted by catching the game-winning pass to beat Florida in overtime.

In 2023, Broden started four games and played in all 12. He caught 15 passes for 105 yards and found the end zone three times.

Broden is a big-bodied receiver at 6-foot-7 who has the hops and athleticism to win 50-50 balls. He flashed potential in 2023, and with an offensive coordinator like Petrino scheming his way to give Broden those opportunities, he could see his role flourish on the field.

To become the Razorbacks' leader in receiving yards, he's going to need to get more looks that can create those opportunities. If he can start to make the most of those opportunities, he can truly become a "he's down there somewhere" type of receivers.

Isaiah Sategna - Redshirt Sophomore​

1721224059233.png

Third time’s the charm, right? Heading into his third season with the Razorbacks, Isaiah Sategna is a lightning rod of speed just waiting for Petrino to give him the chance to bolt.

Sategna has been hyped by fans and media alike since coming out of high school as a four-star recruit in the class of 2022. He couldn’t break through as a true freshman (most receivers can’t), and last year was tough because of the Hogs’ mismanaged and often-anemic offense.

With the time he did get, though, Sategna showed what he's capable of. He handled kickoff and punt return duties for the special teams unit, and returned a punt for a touchdown against BYU.

This year, Sategna is out with something to prove. He told ESPN Arkansas' The Morning Rush that after Petrino was hired many people reached out to him and were hyped about the addition.

"Whenever Bobby got hired, I had so many text messages, so many calls and just so many people blowing up my phone," Sategna said. "It was really a blessing to just get one of the best offensive coordinators, offensive minds in the game. I can't wait to really trust in him and see where he can take my game."

Petrino historically loves guys with speed and loves getting the ball in their hands, as he prefers to “feed the studs” in his offense. With a guy like Sategna, the possibilities are endless. He can rush the ball on end-arounds, take the top off the defense by running straight by someone, or work the middle of the field with his route-running, which has only gotten better since he’s been on campus.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.