ADVERTISEMENT

"God's not dead"

RazorDax

Signee
Dec 7, 2003
Everyone should go see this movie. I saw it tonight with my nine year old daughter and we both loved it.

Watched the trailer. Looks like a tool of indoctrination and control as well as slander against the higher education system by perpetuating the myth that academia is evil.

But, at least that kid stands up for what he believes in. We need more of that.

1. It looks terrible.

2. It stars Dean Cain and Kevin Sorbo.

3. It's a religious propaganda film.

We're a free society so make any movie and like any movie you like. But the idea that Christians are under attack for their faith in this country is more than a little ridiculous.

Originally posted by treestandhog:
Christians are under attack...both here and certainly abroad...for their faith. FACT.
Christians are certainly persecuted in other countries for their faith. How are they being persecuted here?

Christians are under attack...both here and certainly abroad...for their faith. FACT.
Christians are not under attack here. That isn't a fact. It's propaganda.

They are in some parts of the world, but that's history going full circle. Christians have historically been the aggressors. It's unfortunate that people are attacked and killed in the name of any god, but Christians have done plenty of it.

Originally posted by B0b L0blaw:
Christians are certainly persecuted in other countries for their faith. How are they being persecuted here?
By being made to watch movies like God's Not Dead

Hypocrites should always be under attack.

Originally posted by hpharri1994:

By being made to watch movies like God's Not Dead
laugh.r191677.gif

Easy to lump every Christian together isn't it? If you are talking about people like the Westboro Baptist Church then amen to you brother.

Most everyone is a hypocrite in some form or fashion and there are varying degrees. The people that should be under attack are the ones that foster bigotry and hatred and unforgiveness - those are the complete opposite of WWJD.

BUt then again, that's taking the easy way out.

1. It looks terrible.

We're a free society so make any movie and like any movie you like. But the idea that Christians are under attack for their faith in this country is more than a little ridiculous.
Your comments are pretty ironic considering the movie was dedicated to the memory of several Christian student organizations that were sued and as a result had to cease their operations.

Gretchen Carlson on Fox sure felt oppressed during Christmas this year....

she thought it was an abomination she had to see a Festivus Pole

Originally posted by RazorDax:

1. It looks terrible.

Your comments are pretty ironic considering the movie was dedicated to the memory of several Christian student organizations that were sued and as a result had to cease their operations.
That's what I was going to say. Good point, ha.

1. It looks terrible.

Link?

1. It looks terrible.

Link?
So I have to provide a link before you'll believe that Christian student organizations have been sued and as a result are having to cease their operations? I don't think that should be a shock to anyone. You're just upset because you made a bold statement and now you're finding out that you were wrong.

If you need proof that what I wrote is true, then go watch the movie and read the credits at the end. It's the first thing you see. There were several that were listed but I specifically remember one from the University of Wisconsin and another from Missouri State University.

1. It looks terrible.

Link?
So I have to provide a link before you'll believe that Christian student organizations have been sued and as a result are having to cease their operations? I don't think that should be a shock to anyone. You're just upset because you made a bold statement and now you're finding out that you were wrong.

If you need proof that what I wrote is true, then go watch the movie and read the credits at the end. It's the first thing you see. There were several that were listed but I specifically remember one from the University of Wisconsin and another from Missouri State University.
You made a claim and yes you have to back it up with facts. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say this is about school prayer. If it's not, then tell me what it is about. The government can't show favoritism towards any religion. Get off the cross, you're not being persecuted. Having to be tolerant of people who are different than you in culture, religion, etc isn't persecution.

If you dont have a dog in the fight, then why derail a movie thread, turn it into a religious d--k measuring contest, and get it sent to the grim bottom.
Some of yall bitch about "pushing your propaganda" by pushing your propaganda... if it doesn't interest you, then dont post in the thread.

1. It looks terrible.

Link?

You made a claim and yes you have to back it up with facts. I'm going to take a shot in the dark and say this is about school prayer. If it's not, then tell me what it is about. The government can't show favoritism towards any religion. Get off the cross, you're not being persecuted. Having to be tolerant of people who are different than you in culture, religion, etc isn't persecution.
Bob,

I will pray for you.

The movie doesn't mention prayer in school even once. As I mentioned already, the credits talk about the Christian Student Organizations that have been sued and had to cease their operations as a result. You say the government can't show favoritism towards any religion. What do you call it when a group of atheists sue a Christian organization and the atheists win? I don't see how someone who doesn't believe in God can claim their freedom of religion is being violated by someone who does believe in God.

Get off the cross? You should be very thankful that Jesus took our place on the cross.

What is amazing to me is the most prominent thread throughout the new testament is forgiveness and not to be judgemental yet many so called Christians are the most intolerant of all people.
To me most cherry pick which parts of Christianity that suits them. I say live and let live.

Originally posted by txstob:

What is amazing to me is the most prominent thread throughout the new testament is forgiveness and not to be judgemental yet many so called Christians are the most intolerant of all people.
To me most cherry pick which parts of Christianity that suits them. I say live and let live.
I have a terrific idea for you. Why don't you start going to church and tell all the intolerant people there how they are doing wrong. If you already attend a church, then start working with the people that attend your church.

I found this on the U of Wisconsin since you cited specifically remembering them.

What they are or were doing is discrimination, but it's not indicative of an American war on Christianity. It's an isolated incident created by people that are narrow minded and it's shameful, but it's not a representation of the entire countries higher education system. And in the defense of U of W, they are claiming the group is discriminating against people that don't align with their beliefs by denying membership / leadership.

The entire thing is petty.

As for the movie, I'll never watch it. It's propaganda. But if it makes your day better, great. The way you live your life has no impact on me and that's the way I prefer it to stay.

Link was found on my phone, so it may not work. I can't get the desktop version currently.

Link

1. It looks terrible.

Link?

Bob,

I will pray for you.

The movie doesn't mention prayer in school even once. As I mentioned already, the credits talk about the Christian Student Organizations that have been sued and had to cease their operations as a result. You say the government can't show favoritism towards any religion. What do you call it when a group of atheists sue a Christian organization and the atheists win? I don't see how someone who doesn't believe in God can claim their freedom of religion is being violated by someone who does believe in God.

Get off the cross? You should be very thankful that Jesus took our place on the cross.
I'm going to respond and let it be b\c this is a pointless conversation. We won't change eachother's minds. While I appreciate the sentiment behind your "I will pray for you" comment, you really aught to look at that phrase a little more deeply. While I'm sure it's well intentioned, it comes off bad to a non religious person. You're praying that I find Jesus, which is to say that I'm lost without him and I'm wrong and going to hell. The Agnostic equivalent to that is that I hope you lose your faith. While I respect your right to believe whatever you choose, I think your beliefs are misguided as well.

Since I won't be responding after this I'll give up on the idea of you providing links to help further the discussion and prove the assertion that Christians in the US are being persecuted for their faith.

When an atheist group sues, it's usually b\c a religious group is doing something that is either directly or indirectly "sancitoned" by the state. For instance having a prayer before a football game. It's a government entity letting one religion get up there and have the stage. Basically you've got to let all faiths have the same advantage or none of them. The argument could also be made that faith is a private matter and not supposed to be presented at all by a government agency, body, or institution (a class on education is an obvious exemption to that line of thinking).

Freedom of religion is also freedom from religion. Religion is based on faith, not fact. There's no proof that a historical Jesus was divine, died for our sins, or that there's even a god. As an Agnostic I don't think you can prove there is or isn't a superior being. The onus is on the ones making the claim (that there is a god, that christians are being persecuted, etc) to prove that claim.

Our founders were mostly deists and theists, with a few agnostics mixed in there. We were founded, partially, upon the ability to worship as we saw fit without interference from our government. That means no state sponsored religion. We weren't founded as a christian nation as some think. We're not a theocracy. We're a democratic republic that is mostly christian. While I think the world's religions make no sense and are wrong, the people who follow these faiths have every right to practice them. What they don't have a right to do is to have them sponsored by the state.

Originally posted by razorback9455:
I found this on the U of Wisconsin since you cited specifically remembering them.

What they are or were doing is discrimination, but it's not indicative of an American war on Christianity. It's an isolated incident created by people that are narrow minded and it's shameful, but it's not a representation of the entire countries higher education system. And in the defense of U of W, they are claiming the group is discriminating against people that don't align with their beliefs by denying membership / leadership.

The entire thing is petty.

As for the movie, I'll never watch it. It's propaganda. But if it makes your day better, great. The way you live your life has no impact on me and that's the way I prefer it to stay.

Link was found on my phone, so it may not work. I can't get the desktop version currently.
You really should go watch the movie and research all of the Christian Student Organizations that were mentioned in the credits. It's not like it was just one or two. It was several. Maybe when the movie comes out on DVD I will buy a copy and count all of them.

I think you are getting confused. The speculation that this movie was taking on the whole "higher education system" is ridiculous. That idea was started in this thread by folks that admitted they hadn't seen the movie.

I love your last comment... "the way you live your life has no impact on me... but just so you know the movie is total propaganda..." but again, you haven't seen the movie... and Christians are judgmental???

This post was edited on 3/24 12:50 AM by RazorDax

You altered my last comment to fit your agenda, and I don't accept that

I also never said all Christians are judgmental. Someone else did. People in general are judgmental.

The movie is a propaganda film. They are made all the time and about a variety of subjects.

The Bill Mahr film, Religiosity, made several years ago was also pure propaganda, and I don't endorse it either. We live in a society where you can pass off sensationalism as fact, and that's not a good thing from any perspective

1. It looks terrible.

Link?

Bob,

I will pray for you.

I'm going to respond and let it be b\c this is a pointless conversation. We won't change eachother's minds. While I appreciate the sentiment behind your "I will pray for you" comment, you really aught to look at that phrase a little more deeply. While I'm sure it's well intentioned, it comes off bad to a non religious person. You're praying that I find Jesus, which is to say that I'm lost without him and I'm wrong and going to hell. The Agnostic equivalent to that is that I hope you lose your faith. While I respect your right to believe whatever you choose, I think your beliefs are misguided as well.

Since I won't be responding after this I'll give up on the idea of you providing links to help further the discussion and prove the assertion that Christians in the US are being persecuted for their faith.

When an atheist group sues, it's usually b\c a religious group is doing something that is either directly or indirectly "sancitoned" by the state. For instance having a prayer before a football game. It's a government entity letting one religion get up there and have the stage. Basically you've got to let all faiths have the same advantage or none of them. The argument could also be made that faith is a private matter and not supposed to be presented at all by a government agency, body, or institution (a class on education is an obvious exemption to that line of thinking).

Freedom of religion is also freedom from religion. Religion is based on faith, not fact. There's no proof that a historical Jesus was divine, died for our sins, or that there's even a god. As an Agnostic I don't think you can prove there is or isn't a superior being. The onus is on the ones making the claim (that there is a god, that christians are being persecuted, etc) to prove that claim.

Our founders were mostly deists and theists, with a few agnostics mixed in there. We were founded, partially, upon the ability to worship as we saw fit without interference from our government. That means no state sponsored religion. We weren't founded as a christian nation as some think. We're not a theocracy. We're a democratic republic that is mostly christian. While I think the world's religions make no sense and are wrong, the people who follow these faiths have every right to practice them. What they don't have a right to do is to have them sponsored by the state.
Saying that I will pray for you means that I'm hoping for good things for you. If telling someone that you will pray for them upsets them, they obviously don't understand the meaning of the phrase. I feel bad that wishing you good things upsets you.

You altered my last comment to fit your agenda, and I don't accept that

I also never said all Christians are judgmental. Someone else did. People in general are judgmental.

The movie is a propaganda film. They are made all the time and about a variety of subjects.

The Bill Mahr film, Religiosity, made several years ago was also pure propaganda, and I don't endorse it either. We live in a society where you can pass off sensationalism as fact, and that's not a good thing from any perspective
I didn't alter anything. You plainly stated that you hadn't and wouldn't see the movie. Then you stated that it took on "higher education" and that it was "propaganda". How can you make statements of fact about a movie you haven't seen?

You quoted me as saying something I didn't say.

I can watch the trailers for it and tell you it's propaganda. It's a simple analysis. Anyway, good night.

You quoted me as saying something I didn't say.

I can watch the trailers for it and tell you it's propaganda. It's a simple analysis. Anyway, good night.
This is awesome. I never knew it was possible to just watch the trailer for a movie before becoming an expert on its content. Just think of all the time I could save...

On a serious note...
I started this thread to encourage people to go see a really great movie. Unfortunately, some people want to hijack the thread and turn it into a different discussion.

I feel badly for those of you that don't have God in your life. Your life would be so much more wonderful if you did. But, I will pray for all of you that you one day will invite God into your heart. If that offends you, then I guess you will just have to be offended.

It doesn't offend me, though I don't want your sympathy. You're trying really hard to pick a fight with the wrong person. I made an observation, even posted your own proof for you, and said my part. That's all I've got man.

1. It looks terrible.

Link?

Bob,

I will pray for you.

Saying that I will pray for you means that I'm hoping for good things for you. If telling someone that you will pray for them upsets them, they obviously don't understand the meaning of the phrase. I feel bad that wishing you good things upsets you.
Mirror dude . Have a look into it one day. I would put money on you being a guy that would be bad mouthing Muslim's/Buddist's/Catholics etc etc etc and you will prolly lie through your teeth on here and say different . Yet us who don't believe are honest and trustworthy and people whom stand by their word.
So by your book whom should get into this so called promise land?. Someone full of shit and leading a double life or someone that is true to themselves and those around them?.

Christianity is a very poor subject to discuss on the Internet. Everyone knew where this thread was headed and it was very predictable what the responses were going to be. However Dundee really cracks me up with his blanket statement about non believers; I never really expected that but appreciated the laugh!

RazorDax thanks for posting about this movie. I haven't seen it but will soon. Some of y'all are are absolutely unbelievable....persecution isn't always all about getting beaten or killed. It's also about the slander, ridiculing, and bad-mouthing Christians have to endure. And there's a difference in being tolerant and being faithful to God's Word. There's no way to be "perfect" in this life....we can only strive for it. But we cannot accept of the ways the world changes to or with....and when we teach our kids/grandkids, etc. what the Bible says and our beliefs.....it's NOT teaching them hate or intolerance. Again....this is what liberals and atheist always scream out when others disagree with them. THEY are the real haters and intolerant ones.....where's your tolerance for Christian's ideas/beliefs and those with differing views ??? And God says "you will know them by their fruits". This is how we as Christians....or anyone else for that matter....discerns what or who we need or don't need to be around or what we need or don't need to do.

Anyway....I agree with an earlier post by I believe Treeclimber.....if your not interested in a post or don't agree with it....WHY don't you go to one of the other 100 plus post on here or create a new subject post of your own ????? Do you just feel the need to create havoc and anger on a [post that the OP meant as something positive for those who either have or might want to see a good movie ???? Some of you really need to get a life and mature......

Razordax,
Great movie & good idea to post because it makes more people talk about it.

Spreading the message of the Word far and wide.
happy0014.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT