ADVERTISEMENT

OT: US Patent Office cancels "Redskins" trademark regisgtration

And one more add on, when I was playing BB on that playground, the infamous "N" word was how they all generally referred to each other the whole time. Ironic aint it.

Played rugby with an awesome guy who has a true native American heritage. His nickname was indeed Chief and it still is. I wont speak for him but I dont think to many people who claim to be offended have much of if any personal interactions with Native Americans yet they simply want to find things to be offended about.

Originally posted by Scott O.:
They cite their policy that trademarks shouldn't "disparage" groups or "bring them into contempt or disrepute."

This basically means that anyone can do whatever they want with the Redskins image.

So, the Washington D.C. NFL team will have a new nickname sooner, rather than later.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/us-patent-office-cancels-redskins-trademark-registration-says-name-is-disparaging/2014/06/18/e7737bb8-f6ee-11e3-8aa9-dad2ec039789_story.html
This post was edited on 6/18 9:42 AM by Scott O.
I wouldn't put any money on that wager. All who have in the past have lost. As in the most recent example of the Patent Office making the same ruling, the ruling was thrown out in federal court on appeal by the Redshins and the NFL....in 2009. That decision came 4 or 5 years after the current complaint was filed using essentially the same facts. Either way, it's not going to result in any name change in the near term unless Snyder and the NFL decide to move on it. JMO.

This post was edited on 6/18 12:08 PM by TNHOG66

People that aren't Native American saying they are offended are so full of ****. Barack should pass a new law making it illegal to offend anyone in this thin skinned country full of pussies.

Over the past several months I've had a chance to talk to seven or eight natives Navaho and Zuni mostly. Only one said it mattered to him and he wasn't offended just thought some agreement should be reached. The others said it didn't matter one way of the other and some referred to themselves as such talking with each other.
This not scientific in any way just FYI.

Originally posted by mediumd:
People that aren't Native American saying they are offended are so full of ****. Barack should pass a new law making it illegal to offend anyone in this thin skinned country full of pussies.
Just when I thought one couldn't be more lost in a conversation, I read this....

Originally posted by BOSSHOGFREE:
Played rugby with an awesome guy who has a true native American heritage. His nickname was indeed Chief and it still is. I wont speak for him but I dont think to many people who claim to be offended have much of if any personal interactions with Native Americans yet they simply want to find things to be offended about.
Amen. Good job BossHossWin (today that is)

What's funny is that being bothered by other people's words give those same people power over you.

"The Man" is keeping a lot of people down ITT.

All this talk reminds me of this man who passed away 14 years ago yesterday my grandfather. He was a full blood Cherokee and proud of his heritage. He wouldn't have an opinion on this, but would talk all day about trout fishing.
3dgrin.r191677.gif
Pic is a cutthroat he caught on the White River below Beaver Dam. RIP

10262169_10152470472383126_513077865762842915_n.jpg

Originally posted by SausagePatty:
BTW, get your facts right - the Seminole Tribe requested FSU keep Seminole as its mascot.
Not trying to derail your argument, but there's a lot more that went into this issue than the Seminoles telling FSU to keep the name. Obviously, like most things of this magnitude, it was a political issue, and the Seminole tribe stood to loose a lot of money and power in the state of Florida if they forced FSU to change the name. I can't say whether it was an amicable agreement or coercion by the state, but I do know it wasn't the Seminole tribe simply going to FSU and saying "you can keep it...because we're a proud people."

This has already been overturned once and will likely be overturned again. Until the appeals process is finished, they are still protected.

Offensive or not, there are so many important things to worry about, and the name of a football team isn't one of them.

The irony of this move by the US Patent office is that all they've accomplished is allowing even more people to advertise, profit from and exploit the term Redskins without any repercussions. Mission accomplished?? Mmmkay. And now I see Harry Reid won't attend any games till they change the name. I'm sure that's a real blow to the fans and team. Prob would've been there on our dime anyway or in a suite with some lobbyist.

I dont think this is a case of "white liberals" bringing it forward.

Amanda Blackhorse, one of five petitioners, said in a statement: "It is a great victory for Native Americans and for all Americans. We filed our petition eight years ago and it has been a tough battle ever since. I hope this ruling brings us a step closer to that inevitable day when the name of the Washington football team will be changed."

Who is Amanda Blackhorse?

Blackhorse, a Navajo and psychiatric social worker, is the named plaintiff in the case known as Blackhorse et al v. Pro-Football Inc., the lawsuit filed by five Native Americans. In a USA Today profile this spring, Blackhorse said she considered what she might say to Redskins owner Daniel Snyder if she ever meets him.
"I'd ask him, 'Would you dare call me a redskin, right here, to my face?' " she says. "And I suspect that, no, he would not do that."
The Blackhorse plaintiffs made essentially the same argument as those who filed the Harjo et al v. Pro-Football Inc. trademark suit in 1992. It was tied up in litigation for 17 years after Suzan Shown Harjo and six petitioners won a decision from the trademark board in 1999, then saw it overturned on appeal on the basis that they had waited too long to assert their rights. From USA Today's Erik Brady:

As you can see it was only thrown out before due to technicality so I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss it this time. Even if they win I dont know if the plaintiffs can force Snyder to change the name but it does set a precedent.

Originally posted by Sloppy77:
To me it's a little over the line. I see nothing wrong with Warriors, Braves, Seminoles, etc. But Washington's nickname does seem derogatory.
This^^^ exactly. Of all the Native American team nicknames, Redskins always seemed like the only offensive one. Yet they seem to be the only team refusing to change their name.

I thought I set the record straight last time this issue was posted here but I guess not. For the uninformed and gullible, please Google how skins got their name and stop posting about the issue until you do cause you're making yourself look ignorant.

Originall Da Biz:

Amanda Blackhorse, one of five petitioners, said in a statement: "It is a great victory for Native Americans and for all Americans. We filed our petition eight years ago and it has been a tough battle ever since. I hope this ruling brings us a step closer to that inevitable day when the name of the Washington football team will be changed."

Blackhorse, a Navajo and psychiatric social worker, is the named plaintiff in thUnfortunately ms Blackhorse et al v. Pro-Football Inc., the lawsuit filed by five Native Am. icans. In a USA Today profile this spring, Blackhorse said she considered what she might say to Redskins owner Daniel Snyder if she ever meets him.
"I'd ask him, 'Would you dare call me a redskin, right here, to my face?' " she says. "And I suspect that, no, he would not do that."
The Blackhorse plaintiffs made essentially the same argument as those who filed the Harjo et al v. Pro-Football Inc. trademark suit in 1992. It was tied up in litigation for 17 years after Suzan Shown Harjo and six petitioners won a decision from the trademark board in 1999, then saw it overturned on appeal on the basis that they had waited too long to assert their rights. From USA Today's Erik Brady:

As you can see it was only thrown out before due to technicality so I wouldnt be so quick to dismiss it this time. Even if they win I dont know if the plaintiffs can force Snyder to change the name but it does set a precedent.
So 5 native americans is all it takes to be the voice of their people. In that case ill find you 5 real winner that will claim to be the voice of "White America" are you prepared to let them speak for you? The point is that the left wants their cake and to eat it too. Freedom of speach in their estute words does not exclude anyone from consequences. If Daniel Snyder wants to use the name Redskins then that is his right and he should suffer the consequences of the market. But now that there are none they want to legislate their views. Unfortunately for them the constitution doesnt allow them to do so. I hate the Redskins, Im a Dallas fan, but Im a much bigger fan of America and freedom. Its crazy to me that we will pay our police forces to protect the Klan when they have a truly hate filled ralley but want to waste tax dollars trying to legilate a sports team name away that most people (including a large number of the people who are supposed to be offended) dont really care about. Crazy.....just crazy

Originally posted by Da Biz:

Blackhorse, a Navajo and psychiatric social worker, is the named plaintiff in the case known as Blackhorse et al v. Pro-Football Inc., the lawsuit filed by five Native Americans. In a USA Today profile this spring, Blackhorse said she considered what she might say to Redskins owner Daniel Snyder if she ever meets him.

This is hilarious. She's a social worker. So a native liberal and 4 others find it offensive? 90% of natives have no problem with the name but let's ignore facts. I have a problem with the Notre Dame fighting white people. Let's Start that movement cause that's offensive.

Funniest thing about this whole argument is that redskins used to call each other redskins to differentiate themselves from the "white man". I would say those redskins found nothing derogatory in the term. Another is the so called "N" word, how stupid that it's supposed to offend black people, but RAP music preformed mostly by African Americans is full of the word, they call each other that same name on an almost constant basis, and yet you never hear the Hollywood crowd, mostly flaming liberals, suing the music industry, recording company, or rapper who uses the word. Hell, you never even hear the Ophra's of the world condemning the use of the word, when it's one of their own doing the using. Blacks in general seem to have deaf syndrome when the "N" word is being used by another black. Hell, even music that glorifies the beating, or raping of black women is condoned, if preformed by black musicians. Never hear of women's advocacy groups going on TV or radio and condemning the verbal abuse of black women when it's done by anyone other than a white person.

Originally posted by pokerpig:
Funniest thing about this whole argument is that redskins used to call each other redskins to differentiate themselves from the "white man". I would say those redskins found nothing derogatory in the term. Another is the so called "N" word, how stupid that it's supposed to offend black people, but RAP music preformed mostly by African Americans is full of the word, they call each other that same name on an almost constant basis, and yet you never hear the Hollywood crowd, mostly flaming liberals, suing the music industry, recording company, or rapper who uses the word. Hell, you never even hear the Ophra's of the world condemning the use of the word, when it's one of their own doing the using. Blacks in general seem to have deaf syndrome when the "N" word is being used by another black. Hell, even music that glorifies the beating, or raping of black women is condoned, if preformed by black musicians. Never hear of women's advocacy groups going on TV or radio and condemning the verbal abuse of black women when it's done by anyone other than a white person.
th

I was responding to the "liberal whites" comment. Its simply not "liberal whites." That was my point.

My personal opinion is that Snyder can call his team whatever he wants. However, my opinion counts very little in this matter. For the record, although I whole heartedly disagree with his statements, Donald Sterling is free to whatever private opinion he wants to have, on anything. Now, once that opinion becomes public....

The court of public opinion, however, is a completely different thing. Just ask the Mozilla CEO that lost his company for privately supporting the cause against gay rights. Ask Donald Sterling. I predict Snyder, or the NFL, will soon find themselves in a predicament they dont want to be in. It will either be with the fans or Congress but it will happen.

Originally posted by minnesotahog:

This is hilarious. She's a social worker. So a native liberal and 4 others find it offensive? 90% of natives have no problem with the name but let's ignore facts. I have a problem with the Notre Dame fighting white people. Let's Start that movement cause that's offensive.
You do realize you dont have to have merit to file a lawsuit, just money. However, you do have to have merit to win one.

I just read a report that, when polled, 90% of Native Americans are not offended by the term "Redskin". I'd guess many more black people are offended by the N-word.

But, do we change policies and team names for the 10% that are offended? I honestly don't know. I ususally side with the anti-PC crowd. But, I can see both sides in this case.
Link or GTFO.

I think it's more about DC than it is Native Americans. These people fight for a living, this is one more thing to fight about. Like so much in that town being "right" doesn't enter into it.

BOSSHOG and I are still trying to agree of dinosaurs.... What hope does DC have of figuring this out.

1. It's an offensive name

2. Nobody really cares

3. More interesting is the amount of sketchy stuff that happens on reservations...

I was responding to the "liberal whites" comment. Its simply not "liberal whites." That was my point.

My personal opinion is that Snyder can call his team whatever he wants. However, my opinion counts very little in this matter. For the record, although I whole heartedly disagree with his statements, Donald Sterling is free to whatever private opinion he wants to have, on anything. Now, once that opinion becomes public....

The court of public opinion, however, is a completely different thing. Just ask the Mozilla CEO that lost his company for privately supporting the cause against gay rights. Ask Donald Sterling. I predict Snyder, or the NFL, will soon find themselves in a predicament they dont want to be in. It will either be with the fans or Congress but it will happen.
I wasn't attacking you. Sorry if it came across that way. Just pointing out progressives come every skin color.

I personally No issue with what Sterling said. His comments were prejudice, not racist. Everyone has prejudices. I have more of a problem with someone private conservation being recorded then made public. That's scary and being down any person.

That CEO issue is more evidence that America is becoming more like Nazi Germany than the of the free. Just like the IRS lost emails. I can't wait to use that against them if they every question me about my taxes.

How did this turn into a "bunch of liberals" discussion?

Originally posted by jhskiier:
I just read a report that, when polled, 90% of Native Americans are not offended by the term "Redskin". I'd guess many more black people are offended by the N-word.

But, do we change policies and team names for the 10% that are offended? I honestly don't know. I ususally side with the anti-PC crowd. But, I can see both sides in this case.
Link or GTFO.

I think it's more about DC than it is Native Americans. These people fight for a living, this is one more thing to fight about. Like so much in that town being "right" doesn't enter into it.

BOSSHOG and I are still trying to agree of dinosaurs.... What hope does DC have of figuring this out.

1. It's an offensive name

2. Nobody really cares

3. More interesting is the amount of sketchy stuff that happens on reservations...
Ignoramus, This isn't about D.C., it's about private property rights so this is an important issue if you inspire to grow up and own things. Idk how to link but here's an insert:

Practically every statement on the subject from the Washington franchise or NFL proclaims: Nine out of 10 Native Americans support the name! NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell recently cited this "fact" at his pre-Super Bowl news conference.

This post was edited on 6/18 2:51 PM by minnesotahog

I wasn't attacking you. Sorry if it came across that way. Just pointing out progressives come every skin color.

I personally No issue with what Sterling said. His comments were prejudice, not racist. Everyone has prejudices. I have more of a problem with someone private conservation being recorded then made public. That's scary and being down any person.

That CEO issue is more evidence that America is becoming more like Nazi Germany than the of the free. Just like the IRS lost emails. I can't wait to use that against them if they every question me about my taxes.
It's cool man. We're just here to discuss topics and cheer the Hogs. I take very little offense to anything that's ever said on here.

I too am disturbed that private comments were recorded and used without his knowledge. I dont think anyone would want that. However, those private comments were disturbing and just plain wrong, IMO. Does he deserve to lose his team? Since he just basically leases it from the NBA I dont think he has the law on his side. I think if he was a more likeable person then he simply would've had to apologize. In this case many people do not want him to own that team (the NBA perhaps) and this became the straw that broke the camel's back.

*my apologies to all the mistreated camels out there.

Originally posted by RHS_Cyclone:
Because this is exactly what libs specialize in, creating victims and finding offenses in virtually everything. The Redskins have been called that for longer than most of us have been alive and NOW it is an issue. Who do you think is pushing for folks to be offended after all these decades? Hint, it aint the conservatives. The quotes from the psychiatric social worker pretty much says it all. Two of the biggest lib professions rolled into one there. And the assumption that SHE speaks for all native Americans is about as dumb as assuming Nancy Pelosi speaks for me b/c we share the same ethnicity. Class warfare, ethnic warfare, gender warfare, pretty much anything to make folks take sides and feel mistreated. Jessie Jackson has made himself ultra rich with the same tactic. Hasn't done much for those that he professes to help though except keep them addicted to seeing themselves as victims. I wonder who pays the psychiatric social worker? I bet it's us.

Link or GTFO.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/how-many-native-americans-think-redskins-is-a-slur/[/URL]

Originally posted by rzrbk7777:
Originally posted by RHS_Cyclone:
Because this is exactly what libs specialize in, creating victims and finding offenses in virtually everything. The Redskins have been called that for longer than most of us have been alive and NOW it is an issue. Who do you think is pushing for folks to be offended after all these decades? Hint, it aint the conservatives. The quotes from the psychiatric social worker pretty much says it all. Two of the biggest lib professions rolled into one there. And the assumption that SHE speaks for all native Americans is about as dumb as assuming Nancy Pelosi speaks for me b/c we share the same ethnicity. Class warfare, ethnic warfare, gender warfare, pretty much anything to make folks take sides and feel mistreated. Jessie Jackson has made himself ultra rich with the same tactic. Hasn't done much for those that he professes to help though except keep them addicted to seeing themselves as victims. I wonder who pays the psychiatric social worker? I bet it's us.
Right on, right on!

I knew it wouldn't take long a whole post about blacks. Leave us out of this argument, it's about the redskin logo!

Originally posted by razorraven:
I knew it wouldn't take long a whole post about blacks. Leave us out of this argument, it's about the redskin logo!
roll.r191677.gif
some people it just comes natural for them. Best post in this whole thread!

They should become the Washington Whiteskins. How offensive would that be?

Originally posted by mikedamone:
What's the HISTORY behind the term "white skins?"

I guess you were offended by "white chicks?"

Wouldn't bother me. They could call em the honkie skins, the cracker skins or whatever. Wouldn't change my life any more than I allowed it to, which is none.

Originally posted by Scott O.:

Link or GTFO.
http://washington.cbslocal.com/2013/10/08/how-many-native-americans-think-redskins-is-a-slur/[/URL]

Originally osted by mikedamone:
How hard is t to see that so many people who claim to be "fighting" for social "equality" are only further dividing people and creating a disengagement that previously wasnt fully there. For as many rednecks out there passing on their racist views to their children there are just as many non white parents doing the exact same with their children. The belief that whites own racisim is completely false. Conforming to the general populous is completely frowned upon. Why? Because when we all act the same with a similar set of moral standards our color doesnt mater any more and the "fighters" cant continue to use fear and hatred to make their millions. An entirely new generation of minorities are being taught not to conform, not for the preservation of a historical culture that should thrive, but to keep open to the avenues for racisim and hatred to exist so as to keep the money flowing Into the hands of corrupt leadership. The right has the war machine the left has the social machine. Each abusing the use of their power at the absolute harm of the society, lining their pockets, and leaving a wake of destruction in their path. Constantly perpetuating the very thing they claim to be "fighting" for. Crooks, liars, hollow heros that are lower than the serpants.

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of white racists who are just bad people my point Is there is a true equal opposition who through their actions hold as much culpability toward their own people as white people raised in hatred.

What's the HISTORY behind the term "white skins?"

I guess you were offended by "white chicks?"
I was actually implying that it wouldn't be offensive. In fact, if it was changed tomorrow to Whiteskins, I guarantee you there would be a lot of complaining for the exact opposite reason.

People would say that mascots are an honor, something to be proud of, etc. Is the Washington NFL team trying to say that people with white skin are better? Are winners or dominant?

How hard is t to see that so many people who claim to be "fighting" for social "equality" are only further dividing people and creating a disengagement that previously wasnt fully there. For as many rednecks out there passing on their racist views to their children there are just as many non white parents doing the exact same with their children. The belief that whites own racisim is completely false. Conforming to the general populous is completely frowned upon. Why? Because when we all act the same with a similar set of moral standards our color doesnt mater any more and the "fighters" cant continue to use fear and hatred to make their millions. An entirely new generation of minorities are being taught not to conform, not for the preservation of a historical culture that should thrive, but to keep open to the avenues for racisim and hatred to exist so as to keep the money flowing Into the hands of corrupt leadership. The right has the war machine the left has the social machine. Each abusing the use of their power at the absolute harm of the society, lining their pockets, and leaving a wake of destruction in their path. Constantly perpetuating the very thing they claim to be "fighting" for. Crooks, liars, hollow heros that are lower than the serpants.

Dont get me wrong there are plenty of white racists who are just bad people my point Is there is a true equal opposition who through their actions hold as much culpability toward their own people as white people raised in hatred.
Obviously, I was not clear in my sarcasm for you and others. I did not think the term redskins was any more offensive than a Caucasian being called white or an African American being called black. None are done with malice or meant to offend. In this particular case - a mascot - it is (IMO) an honor.

Obviously, I was not clear in my sarcasm for you and others. I did not think the term redskins was any more offensive than a Caucasian being called white or an African American being called black. None are done with malice or meant to offend. In this particular case - a mascot - it is (IMO) an honor.
Im agreeing with you Mike. My point is most of this media fed racial bs is just that and is only proped up by a financial driven agenda. Both sides need votes. One pushes fear of foreign enemies the other pushes fear od social enemies. Its all the same game just different teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT