ADVERTISEMENT

OT 100% NOT the Official Off-Topic/Politics/Corona Thread

Democrats yesterday rejected the Senate's proposal for the UBI, corporate and small business bailouts, and so we wait. Reportedly they did not like how the $500 billion for corporations was proposed with no clear rules for oversight for how the treasury would distribute the money

Democrats yesterday rejected the Senate's proposal for the UBI, corporate and small business bailouts, and so we wait. Reportedly they did not like how the $500 billion for corporations was proposed with no clear rules for oversight for how the treasury would distribute the money

we will never know exactly why the bill isn’t going to pass.

Reactions: RHS_Cyclone
The bill that Pelosi refused was bi-partisan...…….
Well first of all, Pelosi is the speaker of the House and the bill was struck down by Democrats in the Senate. And yes, it was a bi-partisan effort to draft the Bill but as the republicans lead in the senate, it was ultimately drafted by McConnell. Pelosi and the House are planning to release their own proposal

Well first of all, Pelosi is the speaker of the House and the bill was struck down by Democrats in the Senate. And yes, it was a bi-partisan effort to draft the Bill but as the republicans lead in the senate, it was ultimately drafted by McConnell. Pelosi and the House are planning to release their own proposal
haha

Why the secrecy to hide for 6 months which corporations received money?

good thread here of what The Dems proposed bill includes.
WRF are these people thinking. It should only be about this virus. I’m not saying the Dems are the only ones doing this, I’m sure the Republicans included shit like this also. These people are sick.

good thread here of what The Dems proposed bill includes.
WRF are these people thinking. It should only be about this virus. I’m not saying the Dems are the only ones doing this, I’m sure the Republicans included shit like this also. These people are sick.
Yeah i don't approve of that. I get why she's doing it because at this moment she holds a lot of power but it's not helping

Reactions: cfcjr50 and Mass31
Yeah i don't approve of that. I get why she's doing it because at this moment she holds a lot of power but it's not helping
I’m sorry but I don’t get why she would do it, other than it’s really shitty. Like I said, I’m sure it’s both sides doing this stuff and all of them should lose their position if they try and tie anything in with this bill that isn’t directly about the virus.

I’m sorry but I don’t get why she would do it, other than it’s really shitty. Like I said, I’m sure it’s both sides doing this stuff and all of them should lose their position if they try and tie anything in with this bill that isn’t directly about the virus.
The Dems have sent something like over 400 bills to the senate and McConnell refuses to bring them to a vote. For the House, this is a way to get some of that stuff done

The Dems have sent something like over 400 bills to the senate and McConnell refuses to bring them to a vote. For the House, this is a way to get some of that stuff done
Lol. This isn’t the time to get that stuff done, that’s called politics. This isn’t a time for politics.

The house could have sent 1000 bills over, doesn’t matter.

Lol. This isn’t the time to get that stuff done, that’s called politics. This isn’t a time for politics.

The house could have sent 1000 bills over, doesn’t matter.

In a perfect world, they would vote strictly based on providing aid or not.

In a perfect world, they would vote strictly based on providing aid or not.
It doesn’t take a perfect world, it takes people that actually give a **** about the people in the US first and not what bill will help their re-election and putting money in their pockets.

Reactions: DirkPiggler
I’m sure I’m about to make myself look stupid here but can someone explain how releasing inmates will help slow the spread of the virus?

I’m sure I’m about to make myself look stupid here but can someone explain how releasing inmates will help slow the spread of the virus?
Releasing older, non-violent inmates could save their lives and de-crowd prisons helping to slow the spread in prisons which are generally some of the most unclean places to be in the US.

"Well they shouldn't have committed a crime and gotten in prison," sure. But if the govt has the power to release them on probation to keep them alive, they should.

I haven’t paid too much attention to that, but my assumption is that because prisons are high density there’s a higher chance of transfer, so you lower the density by releasing non violent criminals. This helps protect the guards from contracting the virus, and it helps keep additional prisoners from contracting it. You reduce strain on the health system overall. In theory anyway.

This virus is going to change our society in ways that we can’t predict yet, but if this actually works, it’s going to add significant justification for prison reform and force a reconceptualization as to what society determines is worthy of imprisonment.

Reactions: futurehawgdad9
Looking at a state by state breakdown, a lot of the larger numbers make sense (NY, Cali) from a sheer population perspective, but one state that stands out is Louisana.

Total cases: 1,388 (6th most)
Total deaths: 46 (3rd most behind NY and Wash).

What is going on down there

Looking at a state by state breakdown, a lot of the larger numbers make sense (NY, Cali) from a sheer population perspective, but one state that stands out is Louisana.

The claim is that Mardi Gras provided a breeding ground for transmission.

This question has been asked in regard to Louisiana for decades now. It is a lawless swampland full of mystique and intrigue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT