ADVERTISEMENT

OT 100% NOT the Official Off-Topic/Politics/Corona Thread

Did you read and understand what I posted and then read the links you responded with?

NOTHING you replied with disputes what I originally posted. NOTHING. I never once stated or implied that he didn't praise those leaders. I offered an explanation as to why he might be praising them with his left hand, but still being tough on them with his right.

He didn't lessen sanctions on North Korea, and even openly said he wouldn't until KJU brought a new compromise to the table. He put massive tariffs on China to force a new trade deal. He has maintained sanctions and tariffs on Russia...even the NATO imposed sanction you linked. Delayed, but still imposed.

Why is it so hard for some to fathom that he may be trying to be friendly with the biggest bad actors in hopes of finding common ground to fix some of the problems, but still maintaining all of the punitive measures as a source of leverage?

Have you ever had to do business with somebody you didn't trust or didn't particularly like as a person for your business to be successful? Were you cautious in your dealings and maintain an amicable business relationship or did you tell him/her off and hope they would still do business with you? Checkers and chess, man...checkers and chess.
For all the faults he has, he's a brilliant negotiator

Reactions: hawgclucker
Did you read and understand what I posted and then read the links you responded with?

NOTHING you replied with disputes what I originally posted. NOTHING. I never once stated or implied that he didn't praise those leaders. I offered an explanation as to why he might be praising them with his left hand, but still being tough on them with his right.

He didn't lessen sanctions on North Korea, and even openly said he wouldn't until KJU brought a new compromise to the table. He put massive tariffs on China to force a new trade deal. He has maintained sanctions and tariffs on Russia...even the NATO imposed sanction you linked. Delayed, but still imposed.

Why is it so hard for some to fathom that he may be trying to be friendly with the biggest bad actors in hopes of finding common ground to fix some of the problems, but still maintaining all of the punitive measures as a source of leverage?

Have you ever had to do business with somebody you didn't trust or didn't particularly like as a person for your business to be successful? Were you cautious in your dealings and maintain an amicable business relationship or did you tell him/her off and hope they would still do business with you? Checkers and chess, man...checkers and chess.

What it says to me, and I have heard/read several others state this, is that Trump often spouts or tweets his true feelings but then his administration will then govern otherwise because thankfully there are a few people in his administration left who actually know what is going on.

This could apply to this paradox of his apparent love of "strong men" vs. the sanctions. It could apply to his tweets of encouraging the protestors in Michigan wanting the economy to re-open vs him then saying that social distancing is working. There are many many other examples of this over the last 3.5 years.

He isn't a very stable person. He will see something on Fox, convince himself it is true then tweet about it, then someone will have to walk it back the next day. Rinse and repeat.

I honestly hope your naive view of him is correct because I want the country to succeed but I am not sold on the stable genius moniker.

"Per the pool in the Oval Office right now, Trump says he was being sarcastic when he mused that disinfectants could possibly kill the coronavirus inside the body."

Reactions: Hogaholic071990
What it says to me, and I have heard/read several others state this, is that Trump often spouts or tweets his true feelings but then his administration will then govern otherwise because thankfully there are a few people in his administration left who actually know what is going on.

This could apply to this paradox of his apparent love of "strong men" vs. the sanctions. It could apply to his tweets of encouraging the protestors in Michigan wanting the economy to re-open vs him then saying that social distancing is working. There are many many other examples of this over the last 3.5 years.

He isn't a very stable person. He will see something on Fox, convince himself it is true then tweet about it, then someone will have to walk it back the next day. Rinse and repeat.

I honestly hope your naive view of him is correct because I want the country to succeed but I am not sold on the stable genius moniker.
I deal with people in my business that I have to ACT like I like them in order for my business deals to happen. That’s all trump is doing. It’s so obvious it should slap you in the face. The sanctions, and tariffs prove that. It’s really that simple.

I don't believe I'm the one being naive here. I'm also not the one that has to keep changing the outline of the debate. You obviously don't like the guy...fine. Your "defense" of your previous reply to me (that failed and was nowhere close to being on point) is only opinion and hyperbole.

There's really no point in replying and going back and forth on this. It's really a position of me saying "the sky is blue" and having somebody reply "but it's the wrong shade of blue."

I deal with people in my business that I have to ACT like I like them in order for my business deals to happen. That’s all trump is doing. It’s so obvious it should slap you in the face. The sanctions, and tariffs prove that. It’s really that simple.
You're wasting your time.

It's obvious if his plans are successful: it was a bad idea to begin with...or...they didn't like the way he said it...or...(apparently) it wasn't his plan but that of his cabinet that once again saved his ass.

I don't believe I'm the one being naive here. I'm also not the one that has to keep changing the outline of the debate. You obviously don't like the guy...fine. Your "defense" of your previous reply to me (that failed and was nowhere close to being on point) is only opinion and hyperbole.

There's really no point in replying and going back and forth on this. It's really a position of me saying "the sky is blue" and having somebody reply "but it's the wrong shade of blue."

This entire 75 page thread is nothing but opinions. I don't recall anyone changing anyone else's mind yet. But that is ok. There isn't much else to talk about with sports shut down.

This entire 75 page thread is nothing but opinions. I don't recall anyone changing anyone else's mind yet. But that is ok. There isn't much else to talk about with sports shut down.
Wrong.

It is fact (not opinion) that Trump did not lift sanctions from North Korea.

It is fact (not opinion) that Trump said he would not lift or reduce said sanctions until North Korea came to the bargaining table with a viable deal.

It is fact (not opinion) that Trump campaigned on a new, more balanced trade deal with China. Also a fact that he then applied massive tariffs on China to gain leverage.

I can go on, but I've already this stuff 3 different times. Your dispute of the facts have been linked articles showing he praised the leaders of those countries, you don't like the way he says things, and, apparently, these weren't Trumps plans...his cabinet bailed him out. All of that because there's no way he could just be good at business and negotiating.

That about sum it up?

OgSqdJO_d.jpg

Wrong.

It is fact (not opinion) that Trump did not lift sanctions from North Korea.

It is fact (not opinion) that Trump said he would not lift or reduce said sanctions until North Korea came to the bargaining table with a viable deal.

It is fact (not opinion) that Trump campaigned on a new, more balanced trade deal with China. Also a fact that he then applied massive tariffs on China to gain leverage.

I can go on, but I've already this stuff 3 different times. Your dispute of the facts have been linked articles showing he praised the leaders of those countries, you don't like the way he says things, and, apparently, these weren't Trumps plans...his cabinet bailed him out. All of that because there's no way he could just be good at business and negotiating.

That about sum it up?

Ok, tough guy.

It is fact (not opinion) that he has repeatedly said one thing and done another. You call that 4 dimensional chess by a jedi master. I call that erratic and dysfuntional. You have an opinion and I have an opinion.They differ.

About sum it up?

Ok, tough guy.

It is fact (not opinion) that he has repeatedly said one thing and done another. You call that 4 dimensional chess by a jedi master. I call that erratic and dysfuntional. You have an opinion and I have an opinion.They differ.

About sum it up?

Name one president who hasn't said one thing and done another multiple times.

Trump is the worst at articulating science, I will give you that. But do you think he made this up and these treatments/clinical trials don’t exist?

One of the real breakthroughs in terms of controlling and saving lives was using dialysis to dry out people’s lungs and get medicines there faster. So while he’s not technically correct in a loosely Trump kinda way, that’s kinda what they did.

Ok, tough guy.

About sum it up?
Tough guy? Where did I act like a "tough guy", threaten you in any way, or even called you a name?

A. When somebody resorts to name calling, it usually means they've ran out of meaningful rebuttals. The rest of your reply shows that to be the case here as well.

B. I never said he was "4 dimensional jedi chess master". I don't walk around wearing a MAGA hat, nor do I personally enjoy defending the guy. I do, however, encourage the use of common sense and critical thinking over "Orange Man Bad!".

C. You're proving my point. This whole exchange was started over the supposed "love affair" Trump has with the leaders of China, Russia, and North Korea. I replied with specific, factual instances were he has actually remain firm with all 3. So instead of actually being able to debate that, we've now had to move the goalposts to "It is fact (not opinion) that he has repeatedly said one thing and done another". So now we can't stay on topic because it's a losing narrative...we now have to debate EVERYTHING he has ever said that YOU consider "saying one thing and doing another".

Seems about right...

One of the real breakthroughs in terms of controlling and saving lives was using dialysis to dry out people’s lungs and get medicines there faster. So while he’s not technically correct in a loosely Trump kinda way, that’s kinda what they did.

That’s not what he was talking about. He already walked it back and tried to say he was just being sarcastic. You guys can stop scrambling around to make excuses for him now.

Ok, tough guy.

About sum it up?
He's done a kickass job of keeping campaign promises, and it's going to earn him another year. All these democrats out here acting like 9th grade student council candidates

Tough guy? Where did I act like a "tough guy", threaten you in any way, or even called you a name?

A. When somebody resorts to name calling, it usually means they've ran out of meaningful rebuttals. The rest of your reply shows that to be the case here as well.

B. I never said he was "4 dimensional jedi chess master". I don't walk around wearing a MAGA hat, nor do I personally enjoy defending the guy. I do, however, encourage the use of common sense and critical thinking over "Orange Man Bad!".

C. You're proving my point. This whole exchange was started over the supposed "love affair" Trump has with the leaders of China, Russia, and North Korea. I replied with specific, factual instances were he has actually remain firm with all 3. So instead of actually being able to debate that, we've now had to move the goalposts to "It is fact (not opinion) that he has repeatedly said one thing and done another". So now we can't stay on topic because it's a losing narrative...we now have to debate EVERYTHING he has ever said that YOU consider "saying one thing and doing another".

Seems about right...

Everything I stated in my original post was an opinion. It is my opinion that he likes authoritarian leaders. You replied that can't be true because of the sanctions. I replied that even though his administration has maintained or issued new sanctions he still acts like he admires those leaders by the things he says. You replied that he acts that way because it is just an act because he is really fooling those leaders because he has to do business with them, therefore, he needs to pretend to like them. I replied that I don't believe that.

It appears to me that you don't like my opinion or you don't believe it to be true. Fair enough, that is your right. But you haven't said anything to convince me to believe otherwise. We disagree. It has nothing to do with goalposts. We just have a different interpretation of the situation.

He's done a kickass job of keeping campaign promises, and it's going to earn him another year. All these democrats out here acting like 9th grade student council candidates

He might get re-elected. It will be close as most of our elections are. It will probably come down to how fast the economy recovers. The polls right now are meaningless. A handful of states will decide it.

Everything I stated in my original post was an opinion. It is my opinion that he likes authoritarian leaders. You replied that can't be true because of the sanctions. I replied that even though his administration has maintained or issued new sanctions he still acts like he admires those leaders by the things he says. You replied that he acts that way because it is just an act because he is really fooling those leaders because he has to do business with them, therefore, he needs to pretend to like them. I replied that I don't believe that.

It appears to me that you don't like my opinion or you don't believe it to be true. Fair enough, that is your right. But you haven't said anything to convince me to believe otherwise. We disagree. It has nothing to do with goalposts. We just have a different interpretation of the situation.
I will agree that we certainly have a different interpretation. And, as you said, that's fine. Difference of opinion is the core on which we're founded as a country.

That being said, I never said or implied that he couldn't like those leaders because sanctions prove that wrong. I never said he was "fooling" or pretending to like somebody. Those are your words, not mine.

I did say (and thought I said it rather clearly) that maybe he's trying to create a positive negotiation environment rather than being openly hostile to people/countries we HAVE to work with. You know, more flies with honey...

It's been a few years ago, but when pressed on this same topic: "Of course we want to be friendly. Why wouldn't we? Why would we want to be fighting all of the time? It's good to be nice. We can get more things done if we're just nice." I don't see anything wrong with that mentality.

Would it be better if we stayed on the brink of war instead?

I will agree that we certainly have a different interpretation. And, as you said, that's fine. Difference of opinion is the core on which we're founded as a country.

That being said, I never said or implied that he couldn't like those leaders because sanctions prove that wrong. I never said he was "fooling" or pretending to like somebody. Those are your words, not mine.

I did say (and thought I said it rather clearly) that maybe he's trying to create a positive negotiation environment rather than being openly hostile to people/countries we HAVE to work with. You know, more flies with honey...

It's been a few years ago, but when pressed on this same topic: "Of course we want to be friendly. Why wouldn't we? Why would we want to be fighting all of the time? It's good to be nice. We can get more things done if we're just nice." I don't see anything wrong with that mentality.

GS has moved the goal post. Go back and look at his first post you replied to. He’s afraid that Trumps relationship with those leaders will negatively effect policy and benefit those leaders is what he’s pretty much said.

GS has moved the goal post. Go back and look at his first post you replied to.
I got it. His first reply was a response that was supposed to prove those things didn't happen or my take couldn't be correct. The goal posts get moved everytime there is a corner to be backed into.

Now we're down to actually changing what I said, implied, or the context. We got the expected ad hominem a couple of posts back.

I mean, this is fairly predictable. I know what's coming next before it gets typed out.

No, I am not suggesting that we stay on the brink of war but I also don't believe that dictators change their stripes. Putin and Kim Jong Un were raised their entire lives to hate the US and I don't see that changing. I think it is naive to trust them in any way.

Last edited:
I got it. His first reply was a response that was supposed to prove those things didn't happen or my take couldn't be correct. The goal posts get moved everytime there is a corner to be backed into.

Now we're down to actually changing what I said, implied, or the context. We got the expected ad hominem a couple of posts back.

I mean, this is fairly predictable. I know what's coming next before it gets typed out.

This isn't about goal posts. It is about Trump supporters just can't understand why others don't believe everything he says and does. As unfathomable as it may be to consider, there are knowledgeable people out there who view the world differently.

I think you are a smart guy. I have even complemented you on some of your takes on sports topics before. You seem uncharacteristically offended that I disagree with you on this. It isn't personal on my account so I am puzzled by some of your comments unless you are one of those guys that always think they are right and have to be declared the "winner" of each debate. I have never noticed that about you before though.

Last edited:
This isn't about goal posts. It is about Trump supporters just can't understand why others don't believe everything he says and does. As unfathomable as it may be to consider, there are knowledgeable people out there who view the world differently.

I think you are a smart guy. I have even complemented you on some of your takes on sports topics before. You seem uncharacteristically offended that I disagree with you on this. It isn't personal on my account so I am puzzled by some of your comments unless you are one of those guys that always think they are right and have to be declared the "winner" of each debate. I have never noticed that about you before though.
I don’t think even the biggest Trump supporters believe everything that comes out of his mouth. Although there are many times that I know or can tell he’s purposely saying things he knows isn’t true to help the US in negotiations. You know how I know that to be true? Because I’m not stupid and I end up seeing how those negotiations end up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT