ADVERTISEMENT

OT It will soon be against the law to smoke in a car with someone under the age of 18 in it...

It's a sin to drink or smoke? That's a new one. Yet another reason why I'm not a Christian. If people want to smoke, that's on them. Drinking is the same way, it's none of my business. But my son is asthmatic and if he gets around it, he has issues with it. Therefore I can't stand someone lighting up around him.

I used "sin" generally, I didn't mean it in a religous way necessarily, which is why I put it in quotes.

Reactions: Mr.Razorback
The real issue is not about whether it is good for kids. Of course it isn't. It is about the government reaching ever deeper into the lives of people to the point of making the land of the free stuff obsolete.

There are lots of things that aren't good for kids(or grownups for that matter). The state of Arkansas passed the seatbelt law and revoked the motorcycle helmet law in the same year. Common sense and laws seem to run far apart more often than not. There is a lot of stuff they just need to stay out of.

Wow...never in my life did I think the day would come when I typed these words to you..."I agree".

AB633JiPWGPCg.gif

This whole thread is about one person's crusade. Thats what he cares about. His battle cry is hitched to "feel good". Not statics. Not the wellbeing of others. He's proved it time and time again ITT.

I have stated many times ITT that I am clearly against smoking in the car with children or in general for that matter. The problem is that very simple and short sighted people say "Oh, a law against smoking around children? Hell yeah man. We got to protect them youngins!". But that's the end of it. They don't actually look at the proposed law to see what all it entails. I hinted at this earlier, but at what point do parents go to prison? At what point does CPS take the kids? At what point, is this no longer a good situation for the child? What else is attached to that law?

That's how all of this feel good legislation works. Vote for a law with good intentions but fail to research what's actually in the law and what it means for you. Then once people find out that the law is some bs, its too late. Obamacare and Patriot Act come to mind. Obviously those are federal law and can be more impactful, but the premise remains the same.

Personal liberty is becoming extinct at the hands of self interest and abuse of power. Once lost, it is gone forever. Oh well. This isn't the forum for this anyway.

Back to football.

You certainly know how to confuse a situation by changing the subject. Childhood obesity has nothing to do with forcing children to inhale poison.

By your rationale since you can't cure childhood obesity through legislation you can't pass any law that protects children? It is illegal to have a child in the car without a seatbelt on. By your rationale that is big government infringing on your rights.

Personal liberty is becoming extinct? If you are talking about government data collection of our phone records I would agree with you on that subject. And if you want to have the discussion about the constitutionality of civil asset forfeiture we certainly can.

But I happily waive my right to poison children. It does not affect my personal liberty in any way.

Nope. Just the
You certainly know how to confuse a situation by changing the subject. Childhood obesity has nothing to do with forcing children to inhale poison.

By your rationale since you can't cure childhood obesity through legislation you can't pass any law that protects children? It is illegal to have a child in the car without a seatbelt on. By your rationale that is big government infringing on your rights.

Personal liberty is becoming extinct? If you are talking about government data collection of our phone records I would agree with you on that subject. And if you want to have the discussion about the constitutionality of civil asset forfeiture we certainly can.

But I happily waive my right to poison children. It does not affect my personal liberty in any way.
^^^Smartest guy in the room^^^

Isn't this kind of a no brainer? Law or not, if you are in a car with children and you are smoking you are subjecting them to smoke that is not good for anyone's lungs especially a small child. You can liberal vs conservative agenda crap all day long. You are harming that child. GHG
. The point is, there are tons of things that are bad for a kids health yet we don't have laws governing them because at some point you must accept that the world isn't perfect and you have to let things be instead of trying to control every move someone makes with more and more laws.

I believe that Arkansas and California will be the only two states with a law like this (18 yo). Btw that is not great company to have when it comes to laws...... But I digress.. why is it that none of the other states have thought this is a big enough deal that it requires them to create ANOTHER law for it ? Maybe because they don't feel the need to legislate every little thing that is bad for kids ?

If stupid people exist and Darwin doesn't get them first might as well tax them along the way on cigs, tax them again by citing the idiots then maybe a crazy bipolar cop "accidentally" ends them then cop goes to jail, his stay is paid by cig/citation taxes until a smoker in jail ends him for waxing a fellow smoker then jailed smoker gets the death penalty or dies from cancer. I digress.

In all seriousness big business is in control and so is the government preying on consumers and tax payers. The majority are all just little ant like statistics, mini economic units to exploit on a strategy board game like Risk. I prefer old school electric football though it seems more random.

. The point is, there are tons of things that are bad for a kids health yet we don't have laws governing them because at some point you must accept that the world isn't perfect and you have to let things be instead of trying to control every move someone makes with more and more laws.

I believe that Arkansas and California will be the only two states with a law like this (18 yo). Btw that is not great company to have when it comes to laws...... But I digress.. why is it that none of the other states have thought this is a big enough deal that it requires them to create ANOTHER law for it ? Maybe because they don't feel the need to legislate every little thing that is bad for kids ?
When an ADULT is doing something to themselves that puts KIDS' health in danger, there should be something to stop it. If I'm not making my kid wear a seat belt and driving all over the road, there should be a law forbidding that and there is. You're smarter than you're showing ITT.

Can I play? How about this one: motorcycle ridin with no helmet, a-ok. driving a car w/o seatbelt, well that right there will get you a ticket! makes no sense what-so-ever.

how'd i do? do i get to sit at the grownups table?

It's easy to see who the smokers are ITT.

When an ADULT is doing something to themselves that puts KIDS' health in danger, there should be something to stop it. If I'm not making my kid wear a seat belt and driving all over the road, there should be a law forbidding that and there is. You're smarter than you're showing ITT.

Should we sterilize the ones that are getting pregnant and having abortions cause nothing that says danger like killing a baby that's done nothing wrong? And to mention let's sell its body parts. Talk about hypocritical.

its a liberal mindset of America today. they think the population is too dumb to make decisions for their own good, so the result is more laws to protect us from ourselves.
Come on! Political parties have nothing to do with this. This is about keeping children safe because they can't make that decision. Unfortunately, stupid parent who smoke with their children in the car are the ones making this law necessary. Not liberals or conservatives.

Way -- Way too many Sheeple breeding clover eating mini sheeple ... buy them endless supplies of McD fries, GMO laden food, H-F corn syrup, cigs and crappy beer then let nature take its course.

14789132.jpg

Regardless of political affiliation, if there weren't so many dumb arses in our country defying common sense, no one would feel compelled to worry about it. The world's overpopulated and with stupid people.

Reactions: The_Pig_Lebowski

I'm sorry, but I think you need to take a step back from this argument and assess what you're defending.

First off, the fact that we don't have laws protecting children from other potential threats to their life or health does not make laws that are currently in place invalid. By this logic, laws that protect children from being physically and sexually abused are invalid. Just a ridiculous line of reasoning that is being employed ITT.

Speaking not only as a pediatric health care professional, one that routinely deals with abuse cases, but also as a father, ANY laws that protect children from clear and obvious threats, like second hand smoke being blown into their face, are much needed and do a lot of good in our communities.

I don't even smoke, but I agree with every word of this.

I don't even smoke, but I agree with every word of this.
I don't see how. My parents both smoked and smoked around us and in the car constantly. There is no telling what my lungs look like and I've had respiratory problems since I was a kid. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. Both of my brothers are still smokers and there reasoning for starting was my parents constant smoking. I am all for the government staying the hell out of my business but there are some cases parents just need to be monitored.

I don't see how. My parents both smoked and smoked around us and in the car constantly. There is no telling what my lungs look like and I've had respiratory problems since I was a kid. I have never smoked a cigarette in my life. Both of my brothers are still smokers and there reasoning for starting was my parents constant smoking. I am all for the government staying the hell out of my business but there are some cases parents just need to be monitored.

It's an imperfect world we live in, but we need less government parenting, not more.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT