ADVERTISEMENT

OT It will soon be against the law to smoke in a car with someone under the age of 18 in it...

Leave a 3 day old child in a hot car by accident.....go to jail for life. Have a dr. brutally murder the viable child a few weeks earlier and planned parenthood can sell your baby's body parts and be celebrated by the left wing wackos.

Govt needs to provide for the common defense against our enemies and then gtfo of the way.
One that gets it.

Sarcasm and hyperbolic language are signs of a 19 yr old who just took GOV101 and PSYC101 and think they have original ideas. You're coming across as a jackass ITT, dude. You established your stance in your first post.

Blah, blah, blah...I don't agree with you but can't muster a rebuttal so I'll just call you a jackass.

Nice one, bro.

Blah, blah, blah...I don't agree with you but can't muster a rebuttal so I'll just call you a jackass.

Nice one, bro.
I do agree with you. I am also a libertatian. You missed the point. Im telling you that you sound like a self-important prick. Every post you've made has been laden with sarcasm. You come across like a moderately intelligent 15 year old who thinks hes the only smart guy in the room. Hope this helps!

I would take a drink but I'm afraid I might break a law. Pretty much walk on eggshells these days. Anyone know how long it would take a citizen to read the entire penal code ?

You are committing the logical fallacy of a slippery slope. The government made a law that I don't like, therefore they will make even more laws that I don't like.

Since you can't make a coherent argument against protecting children from a dangerous carcinogen, you decide that this will result in prohibition.

We live in the freest society on the planet. It is far from perfect. If you want to talk about our rights being infringed upon I would start with warrantless wiretapping and civil asset forfeiture. But if your reasoning for "walking on eggshells" is that you can trap a defenseless minor in a vehicle with deadly chemicals you are sadly misguided.

Reactions: kj0N
I do agree with you. I am also a libertatian. You missed the point. Im telling you that you sound like a self-important prick. Every post you've made has been laden with sarcasm. You come across like a moderately intelligent 15 year old who thinks hes the only smart guy in the room. Hope this helps!

Well I kind of am a self important prick. And damn near everything that has come out of my mouth for the past 36 years drips with sarcasm.

I have a philosophy that if I find myself the smartest person in the room, then I'm in the wrong room. There is nothing to be learned there.

Sometimes it's unavoidable, I suppose.

You are committing the logical fallacy of a slippery slope. The government made a law that I don't like, therefore they will make even more laws that I don't like.

Since you can't make a coherent argument against protecting children from a dangerous carcinogen, you decide that this will result in prohibition.

We live in the freest society on the planet. It is far from perfect. If you want to talk about our rights being infringed upon I would start with warrantless wiretapping and civil asset forfeiture. But if your reasoning for "walking on eggshells" is that you can trap a defenseless minor in a vehicle with deadly chemicals you are sadly misguided.

This entire thread is based on the premise of a slippery slope and illogical fallacies. You serious right now?

Let's put all kids in a bubble and be done with it.

Feel free to expound.

I thought I did so fairly well above. But I will draw it out in more direct terms.

Please explain to me why we should not legislate against anything harmful or potentially harmful to children (or adults for that matter).

Smoking among young adults and those under 18 are at record lows.

However, childhood and adult morbid obesity rates are at record highs. The leading cause of death in the U.S. Is congestive heart failure.

Explain to me, logically, how taking your kids to eat fast food or sucking down sugar laden breakfast cereal is still perfectly legal when smoking in the car isn't.

Reactions: kj0N
I thought I did so fairly well above. But I will draw it out in more direct terms.

Please explain to me why we should not legislate against anything harmful or potentially harmful to children (or adults for that matter).

However, childhood and adult morbid obesity rates are at record highs. The leading cause of death in the U.S. Is congestive heart failure.

Explain to me, logically, how taking your kids to eat fast food or sucking down sugar laden breakfast cereal is still perfectly legal when smoking in the car isn't.
We should protect our children from obesity, 2nd hand smoke and being trapped in hot cars, if their parents won't. I think @The_Pig_Lebowski is just pointing out that "Since we can't fix everything, we should fix nothing" is a fallacious premise.

Last edited:
Reactions: The_Pig_Lebowski
We should protect our children from obesity, 2nd hand smoke and being trapped in hot cars. I think @The_Pig_Lebowski is just point out that "Since we can't fix everything, we should fix nothing" is a fallacious argument.

The patriot in me just can't get on board with the philosophy of "well we don't know what else to do about it, so we'll just make a law. What could go wrong? I mean, it's for the kids for crying outloud!"

There is nothing logical about picking and choosing what to legislate out when it comes to individual protection. You either care enough about others to run carte Blanche on law making to protect people, or you don't.

I can't begin to wrap my head around the idea that someone cares more about a child's respiratory health but not their heart health (or the myriad of other ill effects of morbid obesity).

And that's only one example (though the most prevalent in this country). How many other ways are children hurt, mangled or killed from things that are perfectly legal every year?

It's about time. As someone who lost BOTH parents to smoking related illness' laws should protect us who weren't weak enough to fall for the peer pressure to start smoking in the first place.

Is this not already the law?

I don't smoke or drink, but I think it's funny watching drinkers mock and look down on smokers, as if their "sin" is so much better. When did we stop minding our own business and taking care of our own house first. The older I get the less I like being told what I can and can't do.

I don't smoke or drink, but I think it's funny watching drinkers mock and look down on smokers, as if their "sin" is so much better. When did we stop minding our own business and taking care of our own house first. The older I get the less I like being told what I can and can't do.

I know for a fact the we are polar opposites on the political spectrum, but this is spot on.

But but its for the kids !!!

Take away my cigs, take away my booze, just don't take away my hawgsports.
Beware my friend. Some liberal out there has surely done a study that shows time on hawgsports takes away from time with the kids which is a huge detriment to them. Might be time for a new law.

It's a sin to drink or smoke? That's a new one. Yet another reason why I'm not a Christian. If people want to smoke, that's on them. Drinking is the same way, it's none of my business. But my son is asthmatic and if he gets around it, he has issues with it. Therefore I can't stand someone lighting up around him.

Food is necessary for survival. Cigarette smoke is not. Should parents try to make sure that their kids eat well and exercise? Absolutely. But how do you legislate that?

Children shouldn't be subjected to being trapped into inhaling a substance that the FDA can say without question causes cancer. That is a no brainier.

Just because you don't have a way to do the former doesn't mean that you can't do the latter.

It's a sin to drink or smoke? That's a new one. Yet another reason why I'm not a Christian. If people want to smoke, that's on them. Drinking is the same way, it's none of my business. But my son is asthmatic and if he gets around it, he has issues with it. Therefore I can't stand someone lighting up around him.

Any laws that we can make to accommodate you, I'm all in favor of.

And don't worry, there are many things we can frame it as to tug at heart strings for support (children, race, creed, religion, manatees, etc).

Neither is a sin. Jesus turned water into wine.

Nowhere in any of this did anyone say that drinking is better than smoking. But if I am eating and the guy next to me drinks it does not affect my health. But if the guy next to me smokes it does affect my health.

I am a libertarian. I think most drugs should be legal. It is your right to abuse your body as you see fit as long as it doesn't hurt others. Children shouldn't have to inhale your poison.

Nowhere in any of this did anyone say that drinking is better than smoking. But if I am eating and the guy next to me drinks it does not affect my health. But if the guy next to me smokes it does affect my health.

I am a libertarian. I think most drugs should be legal. It is your right to abuse your body as you see fit as long as it doesn't hurt others. Children shouldn't have to inhale your poison.
This guy just flat out gets it.

Food is necessary for survival. Cigarette smoke is not. Should parents try to make sure that their kids eat well and exercise? Absolutely. But how do you legislate that?

Children shouldn't be subjected to being trapped into inhaling a substance that the FDA can say without question causes cancer. That is a no brainier.

Just because you don't have a way to do the former doesn't mean that you can't do the latter.

Wait...chicken nuggets, French fries, twinkies, and coco coco puffs are necessary for survival?!??!

I think the death toll in the U.S. disagrees with you.

It's just as easy to legislate seeing someone taking their kid to shipleys as it is to see someone driving down the road, smoking with a child in the car. I submit that it's actually easier to spot.

Just admit that there is no point in legislating against it, because you really don't care if kids get diabetes and Crohn's disease by the time they're 15 and die of a heart attack by 30.

Pretty easy to spot the fatties ITT iyam.

Reactions: HogPocket9455
Wait...chicken nuggets, French fries, twinkies, and coco coco puffs are necessary for survival?!??!

It's just as easy to legislate seeing someone taking their kid to shipleys as it is to see someone driving down the road, smoking with a child in the car. I submit that it's actually easier to spot.

Just admit that there is no point in legislating against it, because you really don't care if kids get diabetes and Crohn's disease by the time they're 15 and die of a heart attack by 30.

That kid eating a twinkee effects me none. The hmguy next to me smoking a cigarette blowing it everywhere does. After reading you comment about "if you're not the smartest person in the room,

After reading your quote about being the smartest person in the room, I can guess that doesn't happen very often.

Natural selection.... we should encourage more of it not less.

We now live in a world where sending your kid oreos for a snack will get you a stern letter from the school, keeping score in a kid's sporting event is considered mean spirited, and kids wear helmets to ride trikes in the back yard. The schools are now teaching kids to embrace sexual diversity before the kids are even old enough to grasp what sex is while sending kids home for wearing a Christian T shirt. A kid bites a sandwich into the shape of a gun and he is apprehended for terroristic threatening. Where is the outrage in all of that?

Meanwhile, a gay couple in Colorado adopts a kid and screws him up so bad he thinks he's a girl before he hits puberty and nobody dares say a word. Heck, the Girl Scouts even let him join. Recently heard a nearly identical story about a kid a lesbian couple adopted. Where is the outrage in that?

Flush babies down the toilet after planned parenthood has harvested all the sellable parts and it is "a woman's right to choose". Give your kid an oreo and a soda and you must be dealt with. How insane is that?

I don't think smoking in a car with a kid is a good thing though it was quite normal when I was a kid and I have yet to see anyone from my generation have issues from it. That said, parenting is a parent's job and does not belong to the schools or the government. It would behoove both to get better at what they do before they start dictating how to parent.

Remember this kids, every new law removes a freedom and there are only so many freedoms to be had. While you may agree with the idea of this new law or that one, it is only a matter of time before they make one that walks on your rights too.

Reactions: Ham Wow
That kid eating a twinkee effects me none. The hmguy next to me smoking a cigarette blowing it everywhere does. After reading you comment about "if you're not the smartest person in the room,
After reading your quote about being the smartest person in the room, I can guess that doesn't happen very often.

Wow. Affects you none??? Please tell me about this life you live in which you don't pay taxes or health insurance premiums because I'm about to take some notes.

I think it's funny that you keep proving my point about caring about this law only because it affects you.

Isn't this kind of a no brainer? Law or not, if you are in a car with children and you are smoking you are subjecting them to smoke that is not good for anyone's lungs especially a small child. You can liberal vs conservative agenda crap all day long. You are harming that child. GHG

We now live in a world where sending your kid oreos for a snack will get you a stern letter from the school, keeping score in a kid's sporting event is considered mean spirited, and kids wear helmets to ride trikes in the back yard. The schools are now teaching kids to embrace sexual diversity before the kids are even old enough to grasp what sex is while sending kids home for wearing a Christian T shirt. A kid bites a sandwich into the shape of a gun and he is apprehended for terroristic threatening. Where is the outrage in all of that?

Meanwhile, a gay couple in Colorado adopts a kid and screws him up so bad he thinks he's a girl before he hits puberty and nobody dares say a word. Heck, the Girl Scouts even let him join. Recently heard a nearly identical story about a kid a lesbian couple adopted. Where is the outrage in that?

Flush babies down the toilet after planned parenthood has harvested all the sellable parts and it is "a woman's right to choose". Give your kid an oreo and a soda and you must be dealt with. How insane is that?

I don't think smoking in a car with a kid is a good thing though it was quite normal when I was a kid and I have yet to see anyone from my generation have issues from it. That said, parenting is a parent's job and does not belong to the schools or the government. It would behoove both to get better at what they do before they start dictating how to parent.

Remember this kids, every new law removes a freedom and there are only so many freedoms to be had. While you may agree with the idea of this new law or that one, it is only a matter of time before they make one that walks on your rights too.

There is a lot in this post that you and I are not on the same page on...and that's ok. But the afore bolded part is spot on. And ironically enough, the same shitty parents that are smoking in the car with their kid, are the same shitty parents giving their kid free reign over whatever garbage food they want.

And in a another twist of fate, these are the same families that Mr. Razorback and Lebowski have to foot the healthcare bill for (assuming they are gainfully employed and not on Obamacare) yet they only care enough to write permanent laws about the one issue that is of less statistical importance of the two.

I just can't wrap my head around the inconsistencies.

Isn't this kind of a no brainer? Law or not, if you are in a car with children and you are smoking you are subjecting them to smoke that is not good for anyone's lungs especially a small child. You can liberal vs conservative agenda crap all day long. You are harming that child. GHG

The real issue is not about whether it is good for kids. Of course it isn't. It is about the government reaching ever deeper into the lives of people to the point of making the land of the free stuff obsolete.

There are lots of things that aren't good for kids(or grownups for that matter). The state of Arkansas passed the seatbelt law and revoked the motorcycle helmet law in the same year. Common sense and laws seem to run far apart more often than not. There is a lot of stuff they just need to stay out of.

I agree. I'm certainly not making a case that is good to smoke around children. I think people that do it fit in a certain demographic that is not viewed in a favorable light. Or at least shouldn't be. But hell what do I know. It used to be shameful to take on welfare. People nowadays wear it as a badge of honor.

Perhaps my philosophies are outdated in this day and age.

Reactions: Mr.Razorback
There is a lot in this post that you and I are not on the same page on...and that's ok. But the afore bolded part is spot on. And ironically enough, the same shitty parents that are smoking in the car with their kid, are the same shitty parents giving their kid free reign over whatever garbage food they want.

And in a another twist of fate, these are the same families that Mr. Razorback and Lebowski have to foot the healthcare bill for (assuming they are gainfully employed and not on Obamacare) yet they only care enough to write permanent laws about the one issue that is of less statistical importance of the two.

I just can't wrap my head around the inconsistencies.

First, I'm not condoning hopping kids up on sugar, just amazed at what the PTB choose to inflict their will on while looking the other way with far worse stuff.

Why does nobody care what kids are watching on TV? What they are seeing in video games? Gruesome and graphic violence and what was near X rated sex right there on TV. Want to know why teen violence is through the roof and kids grow up as screwed up messes? Watch TV with em for a week and give em free rein. Of course, Hollywood makes a killing on that stuff while also supporting big government and other lib causes, so you never hear squat about it.

First, I'm not condoning hopping kids up on sugar, just amazed at what the PTB choose to inflict their will on while looking the other way with far worse stuff.

Why does nobody care what kids are watching on TV? What they are seeing in video games? Gruesome and graphic violence and what was near X rated sex right there on TV. Want to know why teen violence is through the roof and kids grow up as screwed up messes? Watch TV with em for a week and give em free rein. Of course, Hollywood makes a killing on that stuff while also supporting big government and other lib causes, so you never hear squat about it.

This whole thread is about one person's crusade. Thats what he cares about. His battle cry is hitched to "feel good". Not statics. Not the wellbeing of others. He's proved it time and time again ITT.

I have stated many times ITT that I am clearly against smoking in the car with children or in general for that matter. The problem is that very simple and short sighted people say "Oh, a law against smoking around children? Hell yeah man. We got to protect them youngins!". But that's the end of it. They don't actually look at the proposed law to see what all it entails. I hinted at this earlier, but at what point do parents go to prison? At what point does CPS take the kids? At what point, is this no longer a good situation for the child? What else is attached to that law?

That's how all of this feel good legislation works. Vote for a law with good intentions but fail to research what's actually in the law and what it means for you. Then once people find out that the law is some bs, its too late. Obamacare and Patriot Act come to mind. Obviously those are federal law and can be more impactful, but the premise remains the same.

Personal liberty is becoming extinct at the hands of self interest and abuse of power. Once lost, it is gone forever. Oh well. This isn't the forum for this anyway.

Back to football.

Reactions: rzrbk7777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT