ADVERTISEMENT

Football Know the Foe: Gaining LSU insight with Death Valley Insider

RileyMcFerran

Managing editor
Staff
Mar 30, 2019
Lavaca, AR

As we will do throughout this football season, HawgBeat went behind enemy lines to gain insight on the No. 8 LSU Tigers with Death Valley Insider Publisher Jefferson Powell.

Led by third-year head coach Brian Kelly — the winningest active coach in college football — LSU is off to a 5-1 (2-0 SEC) start in 2024.

LSU opened its season with a 27-20 neutral-site loss to USC before picking up a 44-21 win vs. Nicholls in Week 2. The Tigers then ran off three straight victories against South Carolina, UCLA and South Alabama before picking up last week's home win versus then-No. 9 Ole Miss, 29-26 (OT).

Starting for head coach Brian Kelly's squad at quarterback is redshirt junior Garrett Nussmeier, who has completed 160-of-249 throws (64.3%) with 18 touchdowns and six interceptions in six games.

In four games against Power Five competition (USC, South Carolina, UCLA and Ole Miss), Nussmeier finished 107-of-173 on throws (61.8%) with 10 touchdowns and six interceptions.

On the defensive side of the ball, LSU boasts the nation's No. 77 total defense (372.0 yards allowed per game) and it ranks No. 55 in scoring defense (22.3 points allowed per game) and No. 76 in defensive third down conversion percentage (39.0%).

Here is what Powell had to say about Saturday's matchup, which is set to kick off at 6 p.m. CT at Razorback Stadium in Fayetteville...

1. Garrett Nussmeier has taken a jump as LSU's starter this season, what kind of a quarterback is he and how has he improved over previous years?​

Powell: "Other than practices, we haven't seen a large sample size on Nussmeier prior to this season, but I'd have to say the biggest thing to me is his willingness to make the big throws.

"A lot of times with first time starters, you see a lot of check downs and safer throws. This guy doesn't have that in his DNA. He wants to make the big throws and he's got that confidence. You know the old saying, "Ice in his veins", that's Garrett Nussmeier."

2. Who are the key contributors on both sides of the ball for LSU? Who are some unsung heroes?​

Powell: "True freshman Caden Durham has played arguably the biggest part in this offense's growth this season, the former four-star running back has grown into a bigtime playmaker in Baton Rouge.

"On the defensive side of the ball, with Harold Perkins out, sophomore linebacker Whit Weeks has really stepped up and elevated his game. He made some game changing plays last week against Ole Miss.

"Bradyn Swinson has been the model for consistency on the edge since transferring from Oregon prior to the start of last season and his ability to create pressure can really open things up for this LSU defense."

3. Through six games, what are some areas that LSU struggles in that Arkansas might be able to take advantage of?​

Powell: "At the start of the season a major area of concern was the ground game and run blocking on the offensive line. They've cleaned a lot of that up and have been improving. Caden Durham's emergence certainly helps that, but to answer your question if I'm Arkansas, I'm making it a point to not let Caden Durham beat us, try to force LSU into third and long situations and figure out a way to create pressure on Garrett Nussmeier in those third down opportunities.

"They'll probably have to get creative with their blitz packages, because this offensive line has been outstanding in pass protection and If you give Nussmier the time, he'll find his receivers. So I think getting LSU in those third and long situations will be key, but they have to find a way to create pressure in those situations. If you ask me, that's the chess match this week."

4. How (if at all) is this LSU team different from what you expected in the preseason?​

Powell: "I don't know that they're too different from what we've expected. If I had to pinpoint one area, I'd probably have to say the inconsistencies with the rushing attack and run blocking. A lot of the talk throughout fall camp was centered around how talented this offensive line is.

"Well the fact is, they've struggled with run blocking, they're improving but I think it's safe to say we expected them to be much stronger in that department than they have been to date. To add on that, we expected Kaleb Jackson to have a much bigger role this season, but his presence in the ground attack has been nearly non-existent.

"This team is at its best when they can run the ball and open things up in the passing game. So seeing the struggles there has probably been the biggest surprise for me."

5. What's LSU's health like after the Ole Miss game, and are there any roster battles to watch for the Tigers?​

Powell: "The injury bug has not been kind to LSU this season. They're already down multiple starters on defense with season ending injuries to Harold Perkins and Jacobian Guillory. They've been banged up at the receiver positions for several weeks and that looks to continue heading into their matchup with Arkansas.

"We don't yet have our hands on the official injury report as of this writing but I would expect WR Chris Hilton to be out, along with one of the Week's brothers in West Weeks. They're hoping to get WR CJ Daniels back this week, we'll know more with the next injury report update but they're optimistic he'll be able to play."

6. How do you think this game will play out, and do you care to give a score prediction?​

Powell: "The last several years of this rivalry have been close. I'm expecting more of the same this weekend, another physical, hard fought game in Fayetteville. I think both defenses will make some plays, but I see this game coming down to which offense makes a big play to seal it late in the game.

"I really can see this going either way, but I think LSU's has the edge in overall talent top to bottom, so I think the Tigers win another close one off a big play from Garrett Nussmeier to seal the game and I think the surprise will be that he'll do it with his feet."

Score Prediction: 27-21, LSU

• Haha
Reactions: TheNaturalState
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.