ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Putin in Ukraine...what should we do?

Hog6

All-Conference
Nov 5, 2002
Putin

This post was edited on 3/3 9:45 PM by Hog6

A president with a spine would tell Putin to withdrawal his forces within 48 hours or we will pull all financial, agricultural, and trade support from Russia and issue tax incentives for any American business that ceases activity in the country.

Couldn't have said it better bosshogfree. This president has weakened our country to a point they know we aren't going to do anything. Putin watched closely at Syria and saw Obama in action. Putin made him look like an idiot...

I have faith that our country's leadership will respond appropriately. I mean with all the tanks and apcs and ships and planes and other vehicles doing all this manuvering, can you imagine the carbon footprint? We will not stand by and let this climate change event go unchecked.

Move a couple devisions into western Ukraine, and a couple carriers into the black sea, then address the nation and give Putin three days to get his forces out or his forces in Ukraine will no longer inhabit earth. Then watch him and the rest of the thugs in the world act with a little more caution, or we can do what we've been doing and watch the world start to fall into hell in the coming years.

Unless were requested by the UN, we should do nothing. It's a Russian / European issue. The time to be world police is over.

I love how everyone forgets that Russia actually invaded and performed military strikes against Georgia when Bush was POTUS but let's not let facts interfere with a good ole Obama roastin.

Originally posted by ksmathis:
I love how everyone forgets that Russia actually invaded and performed military strikes against Georgia when Bush was POTUS but let's not let facts interfere with a good ole Obama roastin.

LOL exactly.

Originally posted by Hog6:
Putin

Hog6, not to be critical, but I cannot believe you asked this board what you should do financially because of the issue in Crimea right now..........I mean we can't get consensus on this board about the uniforms, proper color scheme or WMS resolved much less something on the level of investments due to global geopolitical crisis.

wink.r191677.gif

My brother, peace and joy I offer you, that I may have God's peace and joy as mine!

"A Course in Miracles"

Originally posted by qteezy:

LOL exactly.
5 years in, and the best defense you have is Bush did it too. I thought y'all hated that guy and everything he did?

Need not forget that the Crimea was actually "gifted" to Ukraine by the USSR in the 1950s. At that point Ukraine was part of the USSR, and there were no real implications by the move. Since the USSR is no more, Russia has had its eyes on the Crimea. The population is about 90% ethnic Russian, and support the Russian government. It's not as cut and dry as people think.

Originally posted by terrylsar:

Need not forget that the Crimea was actually "gifted" to Ukraine by the USSR in the 1950s. At that point Ukraine was part of the USSR, and there were no real implications by the move. Since the USSR is no more, Russia has had its eyes on the Crimea. The population is about 90% ethnic Russian, and support the Russian government. It's not as cut and dry as people think.
It's roughly 58% ethnic Russian.

In that case our way of life is over. Thank God I got to live most of my life in an exceptional country with pride and dignity.

Originally posted by B0b L0blaw:

Originally posted by terrylsar:

It's roughly 58% ethnic Russian.
The percentages vary, depending on where you get the info. But for 200 years the Crimea was part of Russia. It stands to reason that MOST there are ethnic Russian.

True! I am not a huge Obama fan, but sometimes his hate gets in the way of the truth I have noticed. Hell Bush would have invaded New Zealand by now. GHG

Obama told the special Olympics envoy not to attend. What else do you want the Commander in chief to do.
And oh by the way he sent Kerry over, that should show them.

To bad the mobile site doesn't have a sarcasm button.
Posted from wireless.rivals.com[/URL]

Originally posted by ejsHawg:
Putin

Hog6, not to be critical, but I cannot believe you asked this board what you should do financially because of the issue in Crimea right now..........I mean we can't get consensus on this board about the uniforms, proper color scheme or WMS resolved much less something on the level of investments due to global geopolitical crisis.

wink.r191677.gif
Yeah, what was I thinking!!!! Looks like Putin's press conference today has calmed world markets and gold is not looking nearly as good as it did yesterday....of course when you have the volatile mix of armed troops, politics, emotions etc, that you have going on in the Ukraine right now all it takes is an incident to reignite the flames. I was working from home yesterday and watched the stock market all day so I had gold on my brain last night.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by razorback9455:
Unless were requested by the UN, we should do nothing. It's a Russian / European issue. The time to be world police is over.
I agree almost completely. We should follow the UN and Europe's lead and let them determine what to do. If they want to create sanctions, then we will follow. Exactly right on the aspect that it's time for us to stop being the world police. I'm not saying we shouldn't get involved and I am not saying that there are times we should take the lead, but we shouldn't be the face of these sanctions or military action for everything that occurs around the world. That's what the UN is for and we should for the most part support the UN.

Originally posted by ejsHawg:

Putin

wink.r191677.gif
Yeah, what was I thinking!!!! Looks like Putin's press conference today has calmed world markets and gold is not looking nearly as good as it did yesterday....of course when you have the volatile mix of armed troops, politics, emotions etc, that you have going on in the Ukraine right now all it takes is an incident to reignite the flames. I was working from home yesterday and watched the stock market all day so I had gold on my brain last night.
smile.r191677.gif
The market reacts like a teenage girl in love. Todays its up across the board, because Putin spoke. Most losses from yesterday are already recovered. GHG

I think we should draw our forces down to pre WWII numbers and then watch the rest of the world walk over all the US interests in the world. Sounds like a great idea from what will eventually be known as the worst POTUS ever.

Originally posted by Coward88:
Originally posted by razorback9455:
I agree almost completely. We should follow the UN and Europe's lead and let them determine what to do. If they want to create sanctions, then we will follow. Exactly right on the aspect that it's time for us to stop being the world police. I'm not saying we shouldn't get involved and I am not saying that there are times we should take the lead, but we shouldn't be the face of these sanctions or military action for everything that occurs around the world. That's what the UN is for and we should for the most part support the UN.
The EU's dependency on Russian natural gas will make it tougher for the EU to want to implement tough sanctions. You're right that we can't do this on our own.

Some of this conservative self policing brings a tear to my eye, I'm so proud of you guys right now.

Don't buy gold ... If it is more than 10% of your portfolio you are asking for trouble, and that a lot really, it's near it's high now isn't it. Wait till it's swings back down... That's what gold does, it's all over the place. Gold at $250 in. 2007 when the fed had it's thumb up its ass you would of had me.

The price swings in gold are due to the paper trades.

So you are correct the price of gold bounces around because it's being manipulated by various parties.

Think it's not true. Well they said the same thing about LIBOR rates as well.

Yes, lets invade a sovereign country and flirt with thermonuclear war. Sounds like a grand idea!

We shouldnt do anything militarily for a number of reasons, the first and foremost being: Ukraine elected a President. That president was later deposed by an illegal coup. The legally elected president fled the country and asked Russia for help. Where does the US fit in this?

What the US should do is exactly what we're doing. We kick Russia out of the G8, suspend trade and limit Putin's ability to travel the world with a travel ban. Their economy sucks already and that should put a nice stick in their eye. If they want to invade Ukraine make it extremely costly to do so because they literally get nothing in return other than another populace who doesnt want to be run by Russia. Granted some do but the outcome is that many dont and will fight and be a royal PITA. So let them make their own bed. No need to run willy nilly into this.

It frightens me to see how many neocons we have on this board and how many have obviously learned nothing from our last two failed war attempts. Call me crazy but I favor not shedding any more American blood or American money on useless bullshit. Russia is nothing more than an actor in Europe. They are destined to become a satellite of China and are desperately fighting that fate. Let them sink on their own. We benefit by doing nothing more than sanctions.

Crimea is 58% Russian based on a 2001 poll (via daily beast). But appears belt has been shifting less Russian over that time.

These "pro-Russian" protests are just very hard to verify. When they happen in Moscow they are usually organized by people Work because the managers/owners want to curry favor with authorities. Which sounds like a good king of the hill episode to me.

Their are neo-nazis and ultra nationalists who took a big role in fighting the police in Kiev, but it started as a university protest and the crazies didn't move in until the police beatings started. Very similar to Syria in that regard.

However, the interim government is wholly comprised of established opposition politicians.

And whoever said if we had a president with balls we would say "be out in 48 hrs or we will sanction the shit out of you and encourage divestment."

That is exactly what is happening.

One can complain about handling of Syria, I'd agree, but options are legitimately limited here.

Plan to Squeeze Putin

Da Biz, I don't think I agree with you on Russia having nothing to gain.

Google Ukraine gas pipeline map and it tells the rest of the story.

Who controls the pipeline controls gas throughout Europe.

Da Biz, I don't think I agree with you on Russia having nothing to gain.

Google Ukraine gas pipeline map and it tells the rest of the story.

Who controls the pipeline controls gas throughout Europe.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT