ADVERTISEMENT

POLL: Should Larry Johnson be banned and fined???

I was privileged to play college football but that is very different than being a privileged college athlete.

I don't condone any behavior and feel badly for your girlfriend. Not sure where you got that I am doing that?

What movement am I part of?

Originally posted by Penthouse65:

It would have been fine if someone just wanted money, that situation is easily handled. Apparently, you decided to ignore the rest of the message. That is fine, it is what best supports your argument. Verbally abusing my GF with racial slurs as well as calling me a wood is OK I guess.

I am happy for you, that you will never feel the pain of racism in your bubble. It must be easy to never see a loved one cry because of unwarranted harassment based on race. I feel bad for anyone that goes through that, no matter what race they are. It is simply, unwarranted hate.

You, on the other hand, deserve a slap in the face from reality. You were a privileged college athlete that moved to an an all-white district....yet you think you understand racial tensions because you played a sport with other races. Yes, fools can be right in certain instances i suppose, but that most certainly does not apply to you here.

If you truly believe that we are all equal....than how is inherent racism limited only to whites? I cannot believe someone actually spews that garbage. I guess a sheltered lifestyle can do that to anyone. Thanks Dax, for being a part of a movement that inhibits growth.

If Sterling is banned for life, Jay-Z should be too for wearing a medallion that stands for Black supremacy and that white people are wicked. When he was questioned if he believer what he stood for, he said yes. Yet, no one cares and he is an NBA owner. Where are you Al Sharpton?
Posted from Rivals Mobile

And Jay Z was a public display, not some recording of a conversation in private.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/apr/7/jay-z-sports-medallion-group-teaches-white-people-/
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by DaxC:
Do you think that anybody who believes that racism and bigotry are real are left wing or 'libs' like you say?

In a country where 64% of people are white and white median income is 35% higher than minority median income, I really don't feel that people can truly experience reverse institutional racism.

People make stupid comments and do stupid things. But, that is not structural racism.

Originally posted by rzrbk7777:

Chapter 2 paragraph 6 of the Political Correctness Handbook.

Never let yourself be drawn into a debate you can't win. If cornered, simply state that you are above such arguments and you are not going to waste your valuable and enlightened time debating such an unworthy opponent. Be sure to mention that you have plenty of facts readily available if you ever need them for someone worthy of seeing you flex your intellectual muscles. DO NOT TRY TO ARGUE FACTS.

You've got it down to an art. Much smarter than those rubes who try to pass off left wing studies as facts and hope nobody notices the source. Lucky black folks having brilliant libs like you to protect them by constantly reminding them they can't be living under the same rules as everybody else. You are such a racist and don't even know it.

Hypocrisy at its finest. You tear institutional racism down to its knees, yet benefit from it in every way.

Seriously , you are not the one to be having this argument. You could live your whole life in that city and never see one black person. Your neighborhood is the product of institutional racism. If anything, you support that type of structure by the manner in which you live. How do you fight institutional racism? You dont, you only support it.

Let me put this into numbers, since you like numbers....Where you live is 98.5% NON African American. The businesses you support, the people you interact with, the places you go, the things you do, the culture around you....None of this incorporates black people.

Geez

Do you know anything about McLean? It is a neighborhood that is 5 miles outside of Washington DC. I spend 75% of my time in DC. Your point is not a strong one yet you keep making it.

Do you think that anybody who believes that racism and bigotry are real are left wing or 'libs' like you say?

In a country where 64% of people are white and white median income is 35% higher than minority median income, I really don't feel that people can truly experience reverse institutional racism.

People make stupid comments and do stupid things. But, that is not structural racism.

Chapter 2 paragraph 6 of the Political Correctness Handbook.

Never let yourself be drawn into a debate you can't win. If cornered, simply state that you are above such arguments and you are not going to waste your valuable and enlightened time debating such an unworthy opponent. Be sure to mention that you have plenty of facts readily available if you ever need them for someone worthy of seeing you flex your intellectual muscles. DO NOT TRY TO ARGUE FACTS.

You've got it down to an art. Much smarter than those rubes who try to pass off left wing studies as facts and hope nobody notices the source. Lucky black folks having brilliant libs like you to protect them by constantly reminding them they can't be living under the same rules as everybody else. You are such a racist and don't even know it.
No, I think that anybody that thinks that picking a faction of people and giving them a different set of rules than everybody else is a racist. Just so happens that is a liberal staple. You guys seem to think that it isn't racism as long as you are trying to benefit said faction, but you are wrong. You are instilling in them that they are not capable of living by the normal rules of society and must be protected and given things to be equal. You have kept 4 generations and counting of black folks in poverty and on the government dole by convincing them that is all there is in life. You have addicted them to being victims.

Nothing gives this board a chance to show its arse as much as when race is involved. Wow. Common sense isn't that common around here. LJ making a statement on twitter and having a history like Sterling aren't even close.

Clearly America believes it wasn't a big deal for LJ. We in Arkansas can hold on to our backward belief that it's the same but that will only hold us back more. But hey, feel free to hold on to that "everyone else is wrong and we're right" position. How is that working for us so far?

Originally posted by Method Ham:
I studied sociology and anthropology in college and spent a good deal of my time researching race relations in the south. It's still a topic I have a big interest in, and I read a few books a year to dig deeper. Institutional racism is a real thing. There's a difference between calling someone a derogatory name and setting up a socioeconomic system in which only a privileged few can get ahead in life. Yes, we have made great strides as a society, but still have a long way to go. japierce gets it, as do a few others in this thread.

Charles Barkley said it best on TNT the other night. To paraphrase slightly, he said the guys with the pointy hats on their heads who call people names are just idiots, but guys with money and power and the ability to give or withhold economic benefits are racists. Sterling is a racist. I don't care if the man has a black head coach. The man is a racist and if he worked for my company he would be fired just the same.

And above all, what I've learned in this thread is that despite Memphishogs claims that Memphis is the bees knees - it sucks as bad or worse than I originally thought.
Well gosh, I didn't do any college research on the subject. I just have life experience to go by and surely that doesn't count.

Did any of your research include poor white people in America? There are millions and millions of them you know. You think the guys with money and power do anything to help those people? You think poor white folks have any kind of leg up on getting out of poverty b/c they are white? Only difference between them and poor blacks is they don't have laws in place to protect them, no fears of discrimination claims against them, no EEOC laws to see that they get good jobs in the blue collar world. Matter of fact, when special rules are made for minorities to get to the front of the line, it is the poor white folks they are getting in front of.

Sterling is a racist. So is Nolan. So is David Duke. So is Obama. So is Larry Johnson. Racism comes in all forms from all walks of life regardless of color or financial status. The current PC trend of magnifying on one side and ignoring it on the other aint making it any better.
Yes, actually I studied poor whites too. My family was a part of the original migration of poor whites out of Arkansas and Oklahoma into California in the years preceding the dust bowl, so migratory labor was another special interest of mine. Thank God they eventually came home or I wouldn't be a Razorback.

Socioeconomics are a bitch, that's for sure. But there is no denying a long history of racism towards people of color. The laws aren't perfect, but when they were created there was a huge need for protection. In theory those laws protect me and you, too. Employers are not supposed to discriminate based on age, color, race, ethcnicity, religion - no matter what it looks like. Does it always work like that? No, I'm not naive enough to think a white man under 40 could potentially be passed over for a job in favor of a minority female over 40. But the playing field is as even as it ever has been in our world's history. Eventually - maybe - we will get to a future where race does not matter. But it does matter in the here and now.

Obama is a racist? Jeez.

Originally posted by scottuamba:
Nothing gives this board a chance to show its arse as much as when race is involved. Wow. Common sense isn't that common around here. LJ making a statement on twitter and having a history like Sterling aren't even close.

Clearly America believes it wasn't a big deal for LJ. We in Arkansas can hold on to our backward belief that it's the same but that will only hold us back more. But hey, feel free to hold on to that "everyone else is wrong and we're right" position. How is that working for us so far?

Sterling was/is a f*** stick. There is a question here though that really cant be answered. How do you measure racism?

No doubt that Sterling was a racist, we base that conclusion off of his comments. Do we not do the same for others? LJ made a racist comment. Is he only a little racist because it has been documented just once? I would like to think we are all accountable no matter what background or color. That is not the case though.

Im out.

In the words of my favorite musical artist of all time.

"I don't condemn, I don't convert. Love is my religion."

I studied sociology and anthropology in college and spent a good deal of my time researching race relations in the south. It's still a topic I have a big interest in, and I read a few books a year to dig deeper. Institutional racism is a real thing. There's a difference between calling someone a derogatory name and setting up a socioeconomic system in which only a privileged few can get ahead in life. Yes, we have made great strides as a society, but still have a long way to go. japierce gets it, as do a few others in this thread.

Charles Barkley said it best on TNT the other night. To paraphrase slightly, he said the guys with the pointy hats on their heads who call people names are just idiots, but guys with money and power and the ability to give or withhold economic benefits are racists. Sterling is a racist. I don't care if the man has a black head coach. The man is a racist and if he worked for my company he would be fired just the same.

And above all, what I've learned in this thread is that despite Memphishogs claims that Memphis is the bees knees - it sucks as bad or worse than I originally thought.
Well gosh, I didn't do any college research on the subject. I just have life experience to go by and surely that doesn't count.

Did any of your research include poor white people in America? There are millions and millions of them you know. You think the guys with money and power do anything to help those people? You think poor white folks have any kind of leg up on getting out of poverty b/c they are white? Only difference between them and poor blacks is they don't have laws in place to protect them, no fears of discrimination claims against them, no EEOC laws to see that they get good jobs in the blue collar world. Matter of fact, when special rules are made for minorities to get to the front of the line, it is the poor white folks they are getting in front of.

Sterling is a racist. So is Nolan. So is David Duke. So is Obama. So is Larry Johnson. Racism comes in all forms from all walks of life regardless of color or financial status. The current PC trend of magnifying on one side and ignoring it on the other aint making it any better.
Yes, actually I studied poor whites too. My family was a part of the original migration of poor whites out of Arkansas and Oklahoma into California in the years preceding the dust bowl, so migratory labor was another special interest of mine. Thank God they eventually came home or I wouldn't be a Razorback.

Socioeconomics are a bitch, that's for sure. But there is no denying a long history of racism towards people of color. The laws aren't perfect, but when they were created there was a huge need for protection. In theory those laws protect me and you, too. Employers are not supposed to discriminate based on age, color, race, ethcnicity, religion - no matter what it looks like. Does it always work like that? No, I'm not naive enough to think a white man under 40 could potentially be passed over for a job in favor of a minority female over 40. But the playing field is as even as it ever has been in our world's history. Eventually - maybe - we will get to a future where race does not matter. But it does matter in the here and now.

Obama is a racist? Jeez.
I'm a 57 yo white guy. Graduated HS in 1975 from a rural school in central Arkansas. There were 81 kids in my graduating class of which 3 were black. One of those 3 was among my best friends. He was also student council president, a central figure in just about every social activity, and easily among the most popular guys in school. Never saw him picked on, never saw him excluded, and never knew anybody that didn't like him and crave to be his friend. This was 40 years ago. Have we regressed?

When I graduated HS, I told my dad I hoped to go to college. He handed me a $10 bill for graduation and wished me good luck. Guess that was my college fund. Student loans were a little harder to come by back then and my folks had bad credit. I went out and looked for work. Found myself at the end of every line with my youth, my race, and my status as a poor, cloutless white kid. Been at the back end of those kinds of lines my whole life simply b/c of the myth that as a white guy, I had a smooth road to success. Like I said before, it has never been the privileged that got moved to the back of the line, it was the poor white guys. And 40 years later, we still are.

Do you know anything about McLean? It is a neighborhood that is 5 miles outside of Washington DC. I spend 75% of my time in DC. Your point is not a strong one yet you keep making it.
I worked evenings last week on Friday and finished work at 11pm . I went to the convenience store across from work as I go there most days at around 6:30am or 6:30pm depending if I am on days or graveyards but didn't finish until 11pm.

It is a neighborhood of mostly African Americans (prolly 98%), well anyway I went in to pay for some gas and grab a six pack and this guy says "hey boy, you are in the wrong place. You don't get your white arse out here it might get kicked".

The lady knew me and she said he is Australian and a good guy who comes in all the time (I guess trying to diffuse the situation) and I guess that caught him of guard enough for her to take my cash and me to get out the door. Although as I had near left I heard him say "who cares, he is still going to have you and me working for him for nothing and treating us like s--t" or something like that.

That is one of 50 things I could tell you about DaxC. It just happened last week so that one sticks in my mind.

rzrbk7777, to you I would say congratulations, you have a great story. But I would caution you in assuming that your reality from 40 years ago is everyone's reality - then or now. Your hometown sounds like utopia compared to the racial strife experienced in towns all across America. That's all I have to say about the subject, have a great night.

No he shouldn't be banned and fined.

There is a qualitative difference between a twitter comment and a lifetime of bigotry.

Im not going to tell stories out of school here, but I wasn't too many degrees of separation out of Mr. Sterlings orbit when I was in LA and the guy is a douche bag of the first order. There is zero equivalency here.

And whoever said he was a liberal has no idea what they are talking about.

We should all be wary of the increasing frequency of mob justice, whether the target deserves it or not. Sterling should have been dealt with after settling his federal discrimination suit, but because the Justice department didn't require an admission of guilt, the NBA was handcuffed.

If I wear a black panther t-shirt or a medallion paying homage to a black nationalist movement, organizations with a less than stellar history, I am not the equivalent of a property owner who evicts families on the basis of race. Especially when my business dealings can be demonstrated to be above reproach in the area of race. Jay--Z qualifies here.

On the other hand,

Racism exists on all sides, spend some time in New Orleans, East LA, Beverly Hills, or Nantucket, and you will experience various degrees of ostericazation based on ethnicity.

Im been uninvited from dinners because I wasn't Jewish

Lost out on a job opportunity because I wasn't black

And been ridiculed and messed with for not being hispanic

Im sure a lot of people on this board share experiences like these, and we are all responsible for doing better. If Larry Johnson fires someone from the Knicks scouting staff because they are white, and their is an audio tape demonstrating it, then we can ban him for life. Until then, don't try and draw and equivalency between a lifetime of douchedom and a twitter comment.

This post was edited on 5/1 6:57 PM by jhskiier

This post was edited on 5/1 6:59 PM by jhskiier

Penthouse: no hard feelings. We are all Hog fans here. If you are ever in DC, shoot me a note and I will buy you a drink (in the district).

Originally posted by Penthouse65:
Originally posted by scottuamba:

Sterling was/is a f*** stick. There is a question here though that really cant be answered. How do you measure racism?

No doubt that Sterling was a racist, we base that conclusion off of his comments. Do we not do the same for others? LJ made a racist comment. Is he only a little racist because it has been documented just once? I would like to think we are all accountable no matter what background or color. That is not the case though.

Im out.

In the words of my favorite musical artist of all time.

"I don't condemn, I don't convert. Love is my religion."

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT