ADVERTISEMENT

Rumor

Of course it is faux outrage in an attempt to ignore the real issue at hand. It's a lot easier to get pissed about something than it is to try and understand why these people feel this way.

But it's the way that they are doing it that's the problem. If they would just protest in a way where nobody had to see it, hear it, or know that it existed, people would be 100% on board.

Individual players can "protest" all day if they want to. But when they put on the uniform they should leave their political views aside and focus on being a team. I have defended Mike for several years.. If he lets this happen, I'll be moving on.

If Mike told them that they couldn't protest, he could potentially be fired. This is a First Amendment issue (FYI - that's the amendment that comes before the 2nd Amendment, which I am sure you support).

If Mike told them that they couldn't protest, he could potentially be fired. This is a First Amendment issue (FYI - that's the amendment that comes before the 2nd Amendment, which I am sure you support).

I was really impressed with how Jeff Long and Jimmy Dykes handled that situation last night. I hope MA handles it the same way and I'll be proud to have him as our coach if he does.

Reactions: 1-1-Six Hog
If you want to protest that's fine but I honestly question if all of these people that decide to kneel even know what there protesting anymore or if there doing it bc it is becoming a fad. If your protesting police brutality then go protest at your local law enforcement peacefully, you don't have to show dishonor toward your country and those who died defending it all bc you want to protest a tiny group of people that has nothing to do with the American flag or the national anthem.

I hope that MA has a team meeting and strongly discouraged his team showing this kind of disrespect towards the flag and the anthem...

If you want to protest that's fine but I honestly question if all of these people that decide to kneel even know what there protesting anymore or if there doing it bc it is becoming a fad. If your protesting police brutality then go protest at your local law enforcement peacefully, you don't have to show dishonor toward your country and those who died defending it all bc you want to protest a tiny group of people that has nothing to do with the American flag or the national anthem.

I hope that MA has a team meeting and strongly discouraged his team showing this kind of disrespect towards the flag and the anthem...

How is kneeling during the anthem dishonoring the military? Who decided that putting your hand over your heart is more honorary than kneeling?

So your idea of honoring your country and those who died defending it is to deny people the rights most representative of that country and the rights that those people died defending?

So your idea of honoring your country and those who died defending it is to deny people the rights most representative of that country and the rights that those people died defending?

Please inform me how protesting during the national anthem affects police brutality at all? I'm fine with them peacefully protesting but IMO they aren't solving anything other than causing arguments and putting a negative light on the university...

Of course it is faux outrage in an attempt to ignore the real issue at hand. It's a lot easier to get pissed about something than it is to try and understand why these people feel this way.
The real issue is a sin/heart issue that our country has and the enemy has us arguing about this rather than sin itself. But hey, I'm just sipping tea.

If they do that I can guarantee the U of A will never get another dollar from me. If it wasn't for salarvery in this country how in the world do they think they would be doing today. It surely wouldn't be playing basketball tonight for sure. I am getting sick and tired of all this winning by only 13% of the people who make up this country. Yes this country is about freedom but it is also about respect for our freedom and others. When you cross the line beyond your personal believes in a public university forum your stepping on others peoples rights as well . They will step on mine and yes I will be pissed off about it . Therefore I have a right to protest too and that you have a can kiss my ass going forward . You have to stand for principal at some point , this young generation has no clue about the discipline of freedom . Let's just let everybody do their own thing and you done think this country is screwed if that is the attitude of this millennial group
This is exactly what is wrong in this country at this moment.

Please inform me how protesting during the national anthem affects police brutality at all? I'm fine with them peacefully protesting but IMO they aren't solving anything other than causing arguments and putting a negative light on the university...

You clearly aren't fine with them peacefully protesting. You are fine with them peacefully protesting only in the ways that you see fit.

The purpose is to start a discussion and shed light on an issue that, quite frankly, many people in this country don't know exists.

Reactions: anon_tmdio4dg73n6j
One thing people need to keep in mind is that the University, including its sports teams, is a public institution, which means it is covered by the First Amendment. We have all heard the story that Jerry Jones told the Cowboys they had to stand during the anthem because it was his show. He is a private employer, so he can do that. However, if the players want to protest in this manner, neither MA nor Jeff Long can legally stand in their way. So you shouldn't take your anger/frustration out on them.

That is false. Coaches place rules on players all of the time. They deny them the ability to speak with the media, some don't allow long hair, each team has their own set of rules. You can look at the Nebraska players, if they had a team rule in their football handbook that stated they had to stand for the anthem, they would have had to stand or face punishment. I'll bet you money that Nebraska has that in place for next season as will other teams.

How is kneeling during the anthem dishonoring the military? Who decided that putting your hand over your heart is more honorary than kneeling?

So your telling me you see nothing disrespectful about sitting during the national anthem while soldiers are holding the flag that they put there life on the line to defend? If you don't see that as being disrespectful then my guess is you probably don't hold doors open for women or say sir or mam when replying to someone. That's just the way I was raised and that line of thinking will not change I promise you that...

So your telling me you see nothing disrespectful about sitting during the national anthem while soldiers are holding the flag that they put there life on the line to defend? If you don't see that as being disrespectful then my guess is you probably don't hold doors open for women or say sir or mam when replying to someone. That's just the way I was raised and that line of thinking will not change I promise you that...

Which is pretty much the entire problem in a nutshell

You clearly aren't fine with them peacefully protesting. You are fine with them peacefully protesting only in the ways that you see fit.

The purpose is to start a discussion and shed light on an issue that, quite frankly, many people in this country don't know exists.

The only thing being discussed is whether this is disrespectful or not... Helps the cause non at all IMO

The only thing being discussed is whether this is disrespectful or not... Helps the cause non at all IMO

Perhaps that is the first step. There are some in this country that apparently don't think all rights should apply to all Americans. Or they think that anyone that doesn't share their belief system is disrespectful. Opinions are going to differ but rights should not. Maybe once we can agree on that we can start to dig into some of these larger civil rights issues that continue to be a problem.

I say sir and ma'am and I open doors, in addition to recognizing that kneeling isn't the same as sitting and that protesting police brutality doesn't mean you disrespect the military.

Wrong!
I'm only talking about showing respect. Not wanting everyone to think like me...

Your ideology is shaping what you view as respectful/disrespectful. Not everyone views the flag or the anthem as a symbol of our military. Just because you feel that way doesn't mean that everyone else does or should. I've not heard one of these protesters say that their kneeling has anything to do with the military. They've actually been very clear that it doesn't, and many members of the military are supporting them.

I respectfully disagree with razorback 9455 as well as the expression. The right to protest and disagree with governmental policy or perceived opinions are our right, however the forum that we deliver our protests in should not come at the expense of those who support and provide you with a chance for higher learning. Razorback athletes can be given a full scholarship or possibly a discounted one based on grants or other means. If our athletes don't at least respect our way of life they should be kept in the locker room until our Anthem has been played. Ms Danberry stated "black people and people of color are being attacked and we just wanted to speak out and make a difference". Again, she certainly has a right to her opinion but displaying it at our school's playing of the national anthem is wrong. As for Jimmy Dykes, he might want to check into what Coach John Wooden said to his star player Bill Walton. Walton refused to cut his hair and told his coach he had no right to tell him otherwise. Coach Wooden advised him that he was representing UCLA and he had to cut his hair. Walton again refused and told Coach Wooden again that he did not have the right to do so. Coach Wooden agreed that he did not have that right but as Coach of the Bruins he did have a right to decide who plays and " We're certainly going to miss you Bill". Needless to say, Walton cut his hair!

Reactions: hawgclucker
That's insane. The First Amendment does not guarantee one the right to play in a basketball game. If the Coach does't like what you are saying ( protest or otherwise) or doing, he can sit you on the bench or kick you off the team.

Reactions: nm33091992
Will there ever be a time when people are like.."Ok. No more hard feelings. We're good." ??

I'm assuming the majority of you saying this is disrespectful to the military respect and value Nate Boyer and his opinion. He was the one who encourage Kaepernick to kneel instead of sit, and he had this to say about kneeling during the anthem:

“Soldiers take a knee in front of a fallen brother’s grave, you know, to show respect. When we’re on a patrol, you know, and we go into a security halt, we take a knee, and we pull security.”

Doesn't seem like he thinks it's disrespectful at all, actually appears to be the opposite.

Totally disagree with this. Soldiers don't take a knee during colors. Don't go there. You don't know what you're talking about.

You mean they were rustling old white mens jimmies?

BTW- Mike told them not to kneel.

ADVERTISEMENT