ADVERTISEMENT

Alex Collins (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sturdy61 his display of faith should be broadcasted all across America. That is a huge step especially for a young man in college. Congrats to Alex!!!
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by BOSSHOGFREE:

Originally posted by wps88 2.0:
Since I'm catholic, I was baptized as a baby.

I don't know what "getting saved" means. Is that just getting baptized?
Yes, he was baptized but of his own free will and of sound body/mind. It is a major decision to commit himself to a lifestyle vs having someone else speak for you.
Well you didn't have to be so rude about it.

Originally posted by sturdy61:
I believe that Alex is a fine young man, but his private religious experience should not be a discussion of this board. I thought that religious discussion was not to be allowed??? Is this not the case?
FYI - its not private....its public now.

I was raised a southern baptist and I do understand the"born again" experience. However, I stand by my stance that this is a religious discussion and should not be allowed on this forum. Whether I agree with Alex's decision or not is not the issue. I am happy for Alex, if Alex is happy. Your opinion of his experience is not interesting. Religion and politics should not be topics of discussion.

Originally posted by jollyboyz:
Originally posted by J-Fox:
2.0 it's very similar to the confirmation process that we go thru
That's what I was about to say. Since our baptism happens as a baby our parents/godparents say the vows for us. Confirmation you reaffirm them yourself which would be similar to this.
Awesome description. Thank ya. I went through confirmation in high school.

Originally posted by BOSSHOGFREE:

Since I'm catholic, I was baptized as a baby.

I don't know what "getting saved" means. Is that just getting baptized?
Yes, he was baptized but of his own free will and of sound body/mind. It is a major decision to commit himself to a lifestyle vs having someone else speak for you.
Well you didn't have to be so rude about it.
Nothing intended by it at all man. Just pointing out the difference based on the question asked. No offense meant I can assure you.

This young man just keeps getting better in all aspects of life! Alex, you can be a Christian and a bruiser on the field! Good for you buddy! Very proud your a razorback.

Originally posted by eek-a-hog:
So does this mean he has to drop Budda as his nickname?
Buddha and Jesus had a lot in common, so it can stay.

On another note, I agree with the lone dissenter. It's cool the guy is discovering himself, but if he just converted to Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc., many of you would be up in arms and it wouldn't be allowed. I understand it's the Bible Belt, but some equality on rule enforcement would be nice. If I wanted to "hear" a bunch of pre-packaged "god is good," I would go to church.

At the very least, put in the subject so I know to avoid it.

Originally posted by razorback9455:

On another note, I agree with the lone dissenter. It's cool the guy is discovering himself, but if he just converted to Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, etc., many of you would be up in arms and it wouldn't be allowed. I understand it's the Bible Belt, but some equality on rule enforcement would be nice. If I wanted to "hear" a bunch of pre-packaged "god is good," I would go to church.

Agree, and I'm an active Christian. Just doesn't seem like a topic that should be on a sports board where not everyone has the same beliefs.

Originally posted by woopigsooie13:

Agree, and I'm an active Christian. Just doesn't seem like a topic that should be on a sports board where not everyone has the same beliefs.
Listen, I understand what you are saying. However, I am not trying to push religious views on anyone on this board. A member of the Arkansas football team went public with a life choice so i thought there would be some people on here that would like to know this. I said it in my first post that this thread is not for everyone. For some, though, following the football team is more than just watching games on saturday and recruiting.

Originally posted by woopigsooie13:

I dont agree. Op put off topic. This is America. If you dont like it dont read it or dont post in response.
This post was edited on 9/14 9:34 PM by Luke_Hawg

You don't agree because it falls in line with your beliefs. If it didn't, you would feel differently. Regardless of whether or not this is America is irrelevant. This is a privately owned message board with it's own rules and regulations. I'm just requesting it enforce it's own rules.

Congratulations, Alex and welcome to the family of God!!!

Let your light shine as you proudly represent the Razorback Nation. Matthew 5:16

WPS!!!

You don't agree because it falls in line with your beliefs. If it didn't, you would feel differently. Regardless of whether or not this is America is irrelevant. This is a privately owned message board with it's own rules and regulations. I'm just requesting it enforce it's own rules.
Merica.. God,Freedom and Football. Deal with it.

I am soooie glad for this young man. He is a great ambassador for our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and the who are lost and weary. I am saying it Alex will do even greater things because he got saved. now seek the Holy Spirit which is the Comfotor

Originally posted by Luke_Hawg:
Merica.. God,Freedom and Football. Deal with it.
Don't forget the ignorance.

9455 why didn't you respond to mine? I am the original poster. I gave you an explanation and you avoided it. This post does not advocate for a religion or push it on anyone who believes in any different. It celebrates a public decision a football player made.

Originally posted by WarriorHog25:
9455 why didn't you respond to mine? I am the original poster. I gave you an explanation and you avoided it. This post does not advocate for a religion or push it on anyone who believes in any different. It celebrates a public decision a football player made.
Because your explanation was adequate and a fair exchange, so I accepted it for what it was.

Originally posted by WarriorHog25:
It celebrates a public decision a football player made.
You may want to be careful using this as your justification for the post. There are other recent public decisions made by football players that would have to be celebrated given this justification that I'm sure most in this thread wouldn't support.

Originally posted by sturdy61:
I was raised a southern baptist and I do understand the"born again" experience. However, I stand by my stance that this is a religious discussion and should not be allowed on this forum. Whether I agree with Alex's decision or not is not the issue. I am happy for Alex, if Alex is happy. Your opinion of his experience is not interesting. Religion and politics should not be topics of discussion.
I agree. I mean I am not a Christian and I clicked on this thinking it was about football not about his religious beliefs. But whatever.

Very interesting opinions in this thread. This is a private board people PAY money to post not only there ideas, feelings, and opinions on but they are in there own right to say as much. So how in the world you have a right to say what they can post and what should be deleted. We as fans again PAY to post our opinions and feelings. So let's see we live a country where there is FREE speech we can exercise, but yet we can't exercise it when we pay for the right. Like I said interesting opinions in this thread.

Now for the ones that have problems with this thread but say they are Christians, well you really need to check and make sure you aren't just lying to yourself, or lying to others. If you are a Christian then you should know what the great commission is and learn it well and not try to fight it.

So all the off comments in this thread just reinforces that Darkness hates the light and wants it to go away and will fight tooth and nail to squelch it.

WPS! Welcome Alex to the body of Christ, May you touch many lives and be able to share 10 fold what has been given to you. Praise God!!!

Hopefully this doesn't keep him from coming out one day. Would be a shame if he lived his whole life in fear of what others thought and couldn't be open...

Originally posted by shnuke:
Very interesting opinions in this thread. This is a private board people PAY money to post not only there ideas, feelings, and opinions on but they are in there own right to say as much. So how in the world you have a right to say what they can post and what should be deleted. We as fans again PAY to post our opinions and feelings. So let's see we live a country where there is FREE speech we can exercise, but yet we can't exercise it when we pay for the right. Like I said interesting opinions in this thread.

Now for the ones that have problems with this thread but say they are Christians, well you really need to check and make sure you aren't just lying to yourself, or lying to others. If you are a Christian then you should know what the great commission is and learn it well and not try to fight it.

So all the off comments in this thread just reinforces that Darkness hates the light and wants it to go away and will fight tooth and nail to squelch it.

WPS! Welcome Alex to the body of Christ, May you touch many lives and be able to share 10 fold what has been given to you. Praise God!!!
Religion and politics can't be discussed on this board per the rules. This should be in the Grim Bottom.

While, I don't mind one way or the other, rules are rules and this definitely suggest that him turning to God is a good thing.

100% against the Board Rules.

I am spiritual, so I am not against it, but it should not be on here, per the rules.

I agree 2.0. It started off harmless as many on this topic do. But the REASON it can't be discussed is that the logical celebration quickly turned to lecture and insult.

The issues at hand are a) most of us like to see our Hog football player happy off the field and b) there are different views out there and some people don't know what to do with that.

And frankly I was turned off from the discussion the minute Boss discounted Catholic beliefs (really any faith that baptizes babies). That was short sighted...as are most religious discussions on sports boards. That is why these things don't do well in discussion because of moral superiority or perceived. Dark and light? Heavy stuff for a sports message board.

This post was edited on 9/15 8:37 AM by HendrixHog

Lots of bickering in this thread.

It sounds like to me that this change in Alex's life is also being reflected in his work ethic on and off the field. Didn't Coach B just come out and comment on Alex's dedication to become a better player and person.

Coincidence? I think not!

Great job young man, you made a wise choice.

Yeah, until a couple decided to be controversial and condescending this post was fine, but I guess that's only proving their point as to why religion/politics/spirituality doesn't belong in this forum.

I'm all for it but I get how it's polarizing. I guess it'd just kill some to avoid these topics if they don't care for them.

9455, if Alex had converted to Islam, judaism or another religion I would have just read and moved along but you'll get your way. This one will find the GB.

I am not a religious man by my choosing, but anything a person does that can bring happiness and good to their lives and possibly others, I support 100%. This is AC choice and I am happy for him. GHG

This post was edited on 9/15 10:22 AM by floridahog

Nicely put Florida. That's what I have never understood about the anti religion crowd. Why can't everyone ( Christians and non Christians) share your opinion.

Originally posted by HendrixHog:
I agree 2.0. It started off harmless as many on this topic do. But the REASON it can't be discussed is that the logical celebration quickly turned to lecture and insult.

The issues at hand are a) most of us like to see our Hog football player happy off the field and b) there are different views out there and some people don't know what to do with that.

And frankly I was turned off from the discussion the minute Boss discounted Catholic beliefs (really any faith that baptizes babies). That was short sighted...as are most religious discussions on sports boards. That is why these things don't do well in discussion because of moral superiority or perceived. Dark and light? Heavy stuff for a sports message board.

This post was edited on 9/15 8:37 AM by HendrixHog
Some of you have serious issues. I've discounted no one's beliefs and give zero shortsided views. Seriously, go back and read the posts. Another classic example of you and others trying to find any reason to use me as a lightning rod. I have not even begun to interject my personal beliefs Itt and I'm not about to. As for the question asked, it was answered clearly and correctly. Even those who professed being a Catholic used their confirmation and not baptism as a parallel due to the personal choice. Again, this is nothing more than you and others looking for anything to be upset about especially if I say it. There is no religious debate here and I'm not starting one now merely pointing out your true intentions by bringing me into it.

This post was edited on 9/15 9:19 AM by BOSSHOGFREE

Religion and politics can't be discussed on this board per the rules. This should be in the Grim Bottom.

OU player and Ray rice KO a female in the face and that is okay to discuss but a kid who is never in trouble is trying to live a good life is off limits. Sad is all I can say about that.

You pay to post according to the rules, not for free speech. Don't tell me that I am lying to myself about my faith because I don't think a post about a man's religious experience should be discussed on a sports message board. It is people like you that condemn others as reinforcing "Darkness" that turn people off from all of the good parts of Christianity, and the fact that we are having this discussion reinforces the fact that this post should be made elsewhere. It may be tough for you to grasp, with your very distinct black and white viewpoint, but I can be happy for Alex and proud of him as a Christian without thinking that we all need to talk about it on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT